Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Thread

Kmlwx

5 minutes ago, jacindc said:

Alas, the Earth Cams are no match for both a derecho and a storm-watching public.

I watched it.  It was meh. The trees blew a bit.   I'm sure there will be localized reports of damage.  But the video was meh.

Back to watching the tropics again, the lack of severe weather in Baltimore, and the early 'winter is over' discussion on the other threads.          

1 hour ago, Kmlwx said:

Maybe a few isolated woo storms today. Nothing to write home about it seems. 

most guidance has a decent (albeit slightly broken) line moving through during the dinner hour, but yeah, soundings are not very impressive.    That said, if the storms really do organize and form a cold pool, a few decent gusts are not out of the question (consistent with the SPC MRGL).

25 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Well if they're nothing to get excited about, why the heck would they be called "WOO!!!!" storms? :lol:

Any storm is a woo storm. Lightning and thunder make most of us pretty happy. The odds of getting minivan sized hail and derecho winds are like 1 in 398375475973498579345 around here. 

2 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

Any storm is a woo storm. Lightning and thunder make most of us pretty happy. The odds of getting minivan sized hail and derecho winds are like 1 in 398375475973498579345 around here. 

And that's a GOOD thing!

Being in a storm heading to shelter while your house is coming apart is terrifying.

And going in the attic afterward and it looks like you have a dozen skylights but they are holes from giant hail...

Granted I was 12 when that happened but I remember it well.  All the insurance adjusters, contractors, et al.

And my parents complaining about higher insurance premiums!  Now they live in FL and (still) complain when it goes up.  LOL

In these parts it seems we do get legit severe but you have to be in the bullseye.

12 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

And that's a GOOD thing!

Being in a storm heading to shelter while your house is coming apart is terrifying.

And going in the attic afterward and it looks like you have a dozen skylights but they are holes from giant hail...

Granted I was 12 when that happened but I remember it well.  All the insurance adjusters, contractors, et al.

And my parents complaining about higher insurance premiums!  Now they live in FL and (still) complain when it goes up.  LOL

In these parts it seems we do get legit severe but you have to be in the bullseye.

Yeah. I can do without all the death and destruction. Just give me rain and a light show and I'm happy.

I'm definitely on board with the SPC day 4 outlook.     Even though the best dynamics will be northeast of here,  it looks like we'll have good lapse rates with moderate instability, some downdraft cape, decent flow aloft, and height falls with a well-timed short wave.       Definitely a wind damage threat for DC metro and points north and northeast if the current models solutions hold.

7 minutes ago, high risk said:

I'm definitely on board with the SPC day 4 outlook.     Even though the best dynamics will be northeast of here,  it looks like we'll have good lapse rates with moderate instability, some downdraft cape, decent flow aloft, and height falls with a well-timed short wave.       Definitely a wind damage threat for DC metro and points north and northeast if the current models solutions hold.

@weatherwiz - over on his IG was mentioning some EML potential in that time frame I believe. Something to track locally sure beats the doldrums that can set in pretty quickly. Isaias feels like ancient history already.

• Like 1

Excerpt from Mount Holly AFD this morning on tomorrow's potential-

As we move into the day on Tuesday, the weather looks like it will become quite interesting. Guidance continues to indicate a convective complex should develop Tuesday morning.. . A stronger shortwave will track from the Great Lakes towards the Mid Atlantic quickly during the day and push the convective complex towards the southwest. Strong deep layer shear, and steering flow in excess of 40kts should lead to forward propagating storms. Equilibrium levels will be quite tall and so storms will likely become quite tall with >40kft echo tops possible. With quite a bit of instability out ahead of the lifting mechanism, up stream initiation looks likely. As was mentioned by the day shift yesterday, wet bulb zero heights appear to be too tall to see large hail, so the main threat for any severe will be strong to possible damaging winds.

I still like a number of things about tomorrow, although downsloping always complicates an event like this.        The nice shortwave and moderate downdraft cape certainly suggest a wind threat for any storms that do make it into our area.      Wednesday has even better wind fields, but right now, the shortwaves don't time well for us - that could change......

• Like 2