Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
2020 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Thread

Kmlwx

3 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Truly a hit-or-miss day. With SBCAPE well over 4,000 j/kg regionally the risk for numerous wet microbursts existed so the watch box is more than justified. Amazing how it's so varied across the area. In Reisterstown, we've got about 4 or 5 storms bubbling up around us but nada falling from the sky.

Quite a large list (and still growing) of wind damage, hail, and flood reports from LWX today into the overnight

Wow... 4 to 7 inches of rain and another inch or 2 to come

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
Flood Warning
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
244 AM EDT Tue Jul 7 2020

MDC003-009-017-033-037-071245-
/O.NEW.KLWX.FA.W.0048.200707T0644Z-200707T1245Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
Anne Arundel MD-St. Marys MD-Calvert MD-Prince Georges MD-Charles MD-
244 AM EDT Tue Jul 7 2020

The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a

* Flood Warning for...
  Southwestern Anne Arundel County in central Maryland...
  Northwestern St. Marys County in southern Maryland...
  West central Calvert County in southern Maryland...
  Southeastern Prince Georges County in central Maryland...
  Northeastern Charles County in southern Maryland...

* Until 845 AM EDT Tuesday.

* At 242 AM EDT, Doppler radar indicated thunderstorms producing
  heavy rain which will cause flooding. Four to seven inches of rain
  have already fallen. Additional rainfall of 1 to 2 inches will be
  possible the next several hours.

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
  Waldorf, Clinton, La Plata, Prince Frederick, Hallowing Point,
  Rosaryville, Friendly, Golden Beach, Dunkirk, Saint Charles,
  Accokeek, Brandywine, Huntingtown, Hughesville, Baden,
  Mechanicsville, Charlotte Hall, Aquasco, Bryantown and Benedict.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Turn around, don`t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood
deaths occur in vehicles.

Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize the
dangers of flooding.

13 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Ended up with 0.37” on the day thanks to round 4, but crazy how close I was to inches of rain. 

It was painful to see two rounds miss me to my east during the day and hear all the T&L.  Then ma nature throws a bone overnight.  2.12" and first measurable in two weeks.  

21 minutes ago, H2O said:

It was painful to see two rounds miss me to my east during the day and hear all the T&L.  Then ma nature throws a bone overnight.  2.12" and first measurable in two weeks.  

Was curious about the measurable rain in these parts overnight, since my gauge broke. I was also ticked last evening as the big storms diverted around (or formed just to east of) SE FfxCo for the umpteenth day in a row.

And then I went to bed. Got about a half hour of decent sleep before the light/sound show started in earnest around midnight, and with only a couple of lulls, it didn't really let up until 3:30 or 4 a.m. Haven't had so little sleep due to storms since I can remember...lots of shock-you-awake, rattle-the-house thunder, too. Geez. Last night's performance certainly made up for all of the missed ones in previous days.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Disappointing here given how crazy the radar looked, but I guess there had to be some losers. Some people really cashed in. Seemed like parts of Anne Arundel and especially PG got hammered.

We've been getting hammered all summer. My area has had a pretty incredible amount of rain in the past month. I picked up 3" yesterday and overnight. 

17 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

We've been getting hammered all summer. My area has had a pretty incredible amount of rain in the past month. I picked up 3" yesterday and overnight. 

You have had like 10" in the last month lol.

How are the skeeters there?

Finally last night got hit with a rather prolonged heavy rain event along with a a STW for my area. Seems the outflow boundaries from the storm complex in Se PA spawned new storms to my NW and then these storms , or rather a large complex,  dropped Southward.  

Very impressive rain and wind event. Even post rainfall the winds were very gusty.  Rain gauge at home was at 1.75 inches.  At least the grass crowns are saved for the next round of heat and will be nice not to have to water for a while.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Was curious about the measurable rain in these parts overnight, since my gauge broke. I was also ticked last evening as the big storms diverted around (or formed just to east of) SE FfxCo for the umpteenth day in a row.

And then I went to bed. Got about a half hour of decent sleep before the light/sound show started in earnest around midnight, and with only a couple of lulls, it didn't really let up until 3:30 or 4 a.m. Haven't had so little sleep due to storms since I can remember...lots of shock-you-awake, rattle-the-house thunder, too. Geez. Last night's performance certainly made up for all of the missed ones in previous days.

I'm hoping my precip is right.  One thing I wonder is with how heavy the rain was that it missed some.  It poured as you know.  And that thunder was the loudest of some time.  Given the two misses during the day I wasn't expecting anything overnight so it was a bit of a surprise for the first one and then again for the second.  One was a pure west to east mover and the other was a north to south.  A bit unusual IMO.  Wondering what boundary set it off.

But welcome rain for sure.

• Like 1

only a quarter inch from yesterday. two rounds of hit/miss type stuff. first in the early evening when the storms south of me pushed an outflow back my way trigger some growth that came north. then around 9pm or so stuff dropped out of PA, but were dying as they came south. So some rain, some T&L but no direct hits. I'll take the rain either way. 

1 hour ago, H2O said:

I'm hoping my precip is right.  One thing I wonder is with how heavy the rain was that it missed some.  It poured as you know.  And that thunder was the loudest of some time.  Given the two misses during the day I wasn't expecting anything overnight so it was a bit of a surprise for the first one and then again for the second.  One was a pure west to east mover and the other was a north to south.  A bit unusual IMO.  Wondering what boundary set it off.

But welcome rain for sure.

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

You both should have been in good shape unless va is more south than southeast.  2"+ widespread.

GetMap.gif.0e5fc133df0a5b26f51341a858d11a24.gif

• Like 3

Happy for all those that got good rain and storms yesterday and overnight. We are now at 14 days since last measurable rainfall here in my part Stafford county. Hopefully something pops sometime soon. Everything was just NE of here over the Potomac in Maryland or just North toward Fairfax, one of the days it’ll work out.

8 hours ago, coolio said:

another cloud develops and now up to 1.65", roughly 1 hr later.

Ended up getting 3.71" last night. Went to bed at about 3:30. Weird part about the this am outside is that water either ran off or was absorbed into the lawn. I have a drain right by my house whenever we get this kind of rain. Was not even running this am.  Been too dry?

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Look at how it practically outlines HoCo! I live right on that sharp gradient in the southeast corner. 

I am practically around the corner from you, but just a mile or two made a difference for us. I’m straddling that green and yellow. I hope all of Eastern Hoco gets some reds today though. B)

• Like 1