Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Thread

Kmlwx

52 minutes ago, jewell2188 said:

I think many were surprised yesterday with the coverage. We don’t get that luck two days in a row. The air mass today feels a touch more bearable versus yesterday. 

Not to me over here in the Baltimore region. It’s more humid today than yesterday for sure 

24 minutes ago, high risk said:

mesoanalysis currently shows 3000+ sfc-based cape for much of the region....       that said, most of the CAMs are not as enthusiastic as they were yesterday and seem to favor locations north and northwest of  DC

Looks like DCAPE is where we really took a hit versus yesterday. Down AOB 500 today. 

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Mes'd from WPC for flash flooding .

Kinda surprised given the radar but I guess there is some activity up that way and there was a nice thump of rain yesterday in that area. Does seem like even those storms likely miss north and west unless there is more development.

• Like 1

Just now, osfan24 said:

Kinda surprised given the radar but I guess there is some activity up that way and there was a nice thump of rain yesterday in that area.

Much quieter than yesterday. That said I still didn’t get a drop of rain yesterday and I probably won’t today either 

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

Much quieter than yesterday. That said I still didn’t get a drop of rain yesterday and I probably won’t today either 

I didn't end up really cashing in like I thought I would yesterday but I still got something. Crazy you missed it completely.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Wow...radar looked good for Baltimore.  I know west Baltimore did real well . Where r u ? East , southeast side .

Yeah, East. Dundalk. The southern portion of that storm just fizzled out rain got to about White Marsh but no further south than that. Just some dark clouds here 

Just now, ErinInTheSky said:

This storm in Germantown is so lovely. Tons of lightning and wind and rain and it popped up out of nowhere. I heard the first crack of thunder before there was anything on the radar.

Just noticed that one myself. Quick popcorn development on that one. Looks like it’s pretty much heading due north? Been some weird movement to some of these storms too the last few days, hard to track 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baltimorewx said:

Just noticed that one myself. Quick popcorn development on that one. Looks like it’s pretty much heading due north? Been some weird movement to some of these storms too the last few days, hard to track 

It’s been a very slow mover. Kind of just meandering. I’ve loved it, one of the better rain and lightning storms this last week.

• Like 1

Thought there might have been a very tiny bit of rotation on the Catonsville storm. The lightning that is striking way outside of the storms is incredible right now. The storm in Baltimore just had a lightning strike around Laurel. I wanted to try to go running but got chased back inside by lightning. Lightning so far away from the storm is making it impossible to go out right now because you don't know when you are safe.

Maybe a lil something this afternoon from DC south?  Morning AFD from LWX seems to think so:

As instability builds, showers and thunderstorms are expected to
form across the area this afternoon and persist through the
evening hours. Very weak flow is in place at low- levels, but
decent shear exists in the mid-levels, along with
counterclockwise curvature in the hodograph. With the jet core
overhead, strong speed shear continues all the way to the
equilibrium level. With supercellular shear in place, and
counterclockwise curvature in the hodograph, wouldn`t be
surprised to see some left movers today. Given the long
hodographs with strong speed shear at mid-upper levels, some
storms may be capable of producing severe hail, especially to
the south and east of DC where instability is greatest. While
flow will be weak at low-levels, some models hint at inverted V
type soundings, especially to the north and west of I-95, where
there`s a bit less low-level moisture. These inverted V
profiles will aid in accelerating downdrafts, and could result
in at least some potential for damaging winds in any stronger
storms that form. Think that the tornado potential is near zero,
given the lack of low-level flow. In terms of timing, storms
could form as early as noon over the higher terrain. As the
afternoon progresses, these storms should work east across the
area, with the best chance for storms in the metro areas falling
between roughly 4 and 8 PM.

5 hours ago, yoda said:

Maybe a lil something this afternoon from DC south?  Morning AFD from LWX seems to think so:

today definitely has sneaky potential.    as noted by LWX, low level shear is miserable, but deep layer shear is really good, and there is also a fair amount of downdraft cape.     I'd say now that while the best threat is definitely south of DC, where the better instability will reside, I'd say "I-70 and points south" for the threat, as the HRRR has definitely trended further north with good reflectivity signals since LWX wrote that discussion.

• Like 1