Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
2020 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Thread

Kmlwx

2 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

In my mind - the only two things that could "save" today are 1) An aggressive cold pool that performs better than expected at sustaining some sort of complex. 2) @Eskimo Joe's reminder that sometimes these things sag a bit more south and east than expected. But the fat lady is warming up. 

agreed.    if something can race south earlier than progged, and the instability isn't killed by lowering dew points, northern and central MD could still be in the game.

2 minutes ago, high risk said:

agreed.    if something can race south earlier than progged, and the instability isn't killed by lowering dew points, northern and central MD could still be in the game.

The longer range HRRR and HRRRv4's are looking pretty decent for coverage in the area tomorrow. Severity is another question - but I'd say we'll get storms tomorrow. 

22 minutes ago, mappy said:

not expecting much IMBY. we shall see how that complex evolves as it heads south. Not having a watch here doesn't mean much when i can drive 5 minutes north and be in the watch lol 

Do we need to revoke your weather weenie status?! We all know that unless you're actually in a watch - there won't be any severe even an inch outside the box ;)

36 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

The longer range HRRR and HRRRv4's are looking pretty decent for coverage in the area tomorrow. Severity is another question - but I'd say we'll get storms tomorrow. 

Agreed.    The 12z CAMs continue the idea of fairly good coverage of storms tomorrow.     Deep layer shear isn't awesome, but it's probably enough for at least scattered SVR.    The updated day 2 will maintain the MRGL for sure, and I wouldn't rule out a SLGT.

3 minutes ago, high risk said:

Agreed.    The 12z CAMs continue the idea of fairly good coverage of storms tomorrow.     Deep layer shear isn't awesome, but it's probably enough for at least scattered SVR.    The updated day 2 will maintain the MRGL for sure, and I wouldn't rule out a SLGT.

Seems like a multicell cluster/pulsey kind of day. 

7 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Seems like a multicell cluster/pulsey kind of day. 

It's not going to be a huge day, but most of the various CAMs show about 40 kt of deep layer shear and  inverted-V soundings, so some organization of cold pools is quite possible.   The explicit reflectivity solutions across the hi-res windows, NAM nest, HRRR do show some organization.

13 minutes ago, high risk said:

It's not going to be a huge day, but most of the various CAMs show about 40 kt of deep layer shear and  inverted-V soundings, so some organization of cold pools is quite possible.   The explicit reflectivity solutions across the hi-res windows, NAM nest, HRRR do show some organization.

As much as I like snow - the one thing that I really like about severe season around here is that things can sneak up on your much more easily than with winter weather. Sure, we can get an overperforming clipper. But not often do you have something like a severe day that is expected to be nothing, and ends up with multiple tornadoes in the area. Happens semi frequently...you just ever know for sure what's going to happen (or not happen). Sure, we get burned more often than not - but the surprise days where we end up tracking hundreds of warnings is sure an adrenaline rush. And before anybody brings up the ethical thing...I don't HOPE for destruction - but if it's plowing through the area I'm of course going to be tracking it and fascinated by the mechanics behind it. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Do we need to revoke your weather weenie status?! We all know that unless you're actually in a watch - there won't be any severe even an inch outside the box ;)

hahahaha no way -- still a severe weenie through and through. watching that squall dropping south, hoping i get something out of it. 

regardless, the afternoon looks great for a dip in the pool :D 

18 minutes ago, mappy said:

hahahaha no way -- still a severe weenie through and through. watching that squall dropping south, hoping i get something out of it. 

regardless, the afternoon looks great for a dip in the pool :D 

GOES 16 and the past few frames of CTP/LWX radar shows some convection firing as far southwest as Gettysburg. 

5 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

GOES 16 and the past few frames of CTP/LWX radar shows some convection firing as far southwest as Gettysburg. 

Yes.     The new MD mentions potential back building into north-central MD.     Very little guidance has a good handle on the ongoing convection.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

there is some scattered pockets of heavier rain out ahead of that line, that we will definitely get here. but the warned portion will miss me east. 

guess we shall see if anything pops up after the main squall moves through. 

9 minutes ago, high risk said:

Yes.     The new MD mentions potential back building into north-central MD.     Very little guidance has a good handle on the ongoing convection.

I did notice latest NAM shifted the line around some and gave more hope for our area. HRRR doesn't have much. At least it gives us something to watch today, and obviously the next few days. Been generally really boring weather-wise for a long time.

27 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Dews are still 60+ almost everywhere. Even some stations at 64+. Could indicate a slightly increased chance of something later on. None of the models seem interested. 

The next few hours are when a drop in dew points would occur if it does.    The HRRR was most aggressive with that southwest of DC - will be worth watching.    Still 65 here.

Also, the day 2 kept MRGL here, but the discussion specifically mentioned a potential upgrade for our area in later outlooks.    I personally think there was enough in the morning guidance to give us a day 2 SLGT, but I'll defer to the experts