Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Thread

Kmlwx

9 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Simulated echo tops aren't that impressive - so things will probably be low topped. But isn't the freezing level pretty low?

yes.    The soundings are really cape-starved.       The only reason we have a chance is because the dynamics of this system are really impressive.        

Hail is a concern due to the low freezing levels for sure, but the meager instability argues against seeing widespread larger sizes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

This is your "classic" DC severe day.  Cloudy, limited instability but decent lapse rate and/or shear.  We get some clearing and one or two spots win out but for everyone else it's a ho-hum event.

With dews in the 40s and temps in the 50s - I'm not at all enthused for anything more than a breezy shower or two and a rumble of thunder. 

15 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

This is your "classic" DC severe day.  Cloudy, limited instability but decent lapse rate and/or shear.  We get some clearing and one or two spots win out but for everyone else it's a ho-hum event.

cape was going to be limited no matter what, but yeah, we need every degree we can get today.    At least warm advection is at least somewhat offsetting the lack of sun

12 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

With dews in the 40s and temps in the 50s - I'm not at all enthused for anything more than a breezy shower or two and a rumble of thunder. 

I'm slightly more bullish about this than you due to the impressive dynamics, but the better solutions say that we're roughly 64/48 just ahead of the storms.     If we don't get there, it will definitely be lame.

6 minutes ago, high risk said:

I'm slightly more bullish about this than you due to the impressive dynamics, but the better solutions say that we're roughly 64/48 just ahead of the storms.     If we don't get there, it will definitely be lame.

Winchester, Martinsburg and Hagerstown all have dews in the 30s this morning. But they are also pretty far west. Let's see what the next few hours hold. 

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

Winchester, Martinsburg and Hagerstown all have dews in the 30s this morning. But they are also pretty far west. Let's see what the next few hours hold. 

Yeah, that area is going to have trouble with dew points due to downsloping.    Upper 40s here.     T/Td will be fun to monitor over the next 3 hours.

Just now, Kmlwx said:

That would be so cool to see here. Not getting my hopes up - but let's do it!

It's entirely possible to get a dump of small hail stones from sub-severe storms today.  There are several mPING report in the 0.25" - 0.5" range in areas with limited population so you know the storms are producing if you're getting reports from the void.

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Hail being reported with the line NW of Morgantown, WV and it's 53/42 there.  If we can manage like 65/45 today we're probably good.

1 hour ago, high risk said:

Yeah, that area is going to have trouble with dew points due to downsloping.    Upper 40s here.     T/Td will be fun to monitor over the next 3 hours.

I'm up to 66.1, but the dews are stuck in the upper 40s.  IAD is ~65/43.