• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Thread

Kmlwx

My thoughts on today.  For the record, I remain intrigued at the event and think that most of our action comes this afternoon.

1.) Convection this morning has deposited between 0.75" and 2" of rain in the area.  A report from the Roseland area of Nelson County, VA shows some mudslide along Rt. 6 and nearly 6" of rain.  This convection was mostly elevated and I suspect the 12z RAOB from IAD will reveal a bit of a temperature inversion which is why the winds are relatively quite.  Once the sun gets up things should mix out a bit and gustier winds will begin to occur.

2.) The area of interest for everyone is this afternoon's storms currently over Kentucky.  IR satellite shows an area of distinct clearing ahead of this and water vapor reveals a legit dry slot which should allow at least some sunshine to occur later this morning.  Just how much and how long will determine how effectively we can get some surface based instability.  It's interesting to see a potential little mesolow around 994 mb being analyzed by the SPC meso analysis page near the OH/KY/WV border.  This might aid in development of the afternoon activity.

3.) With the morning rain, the ground is relatively saturated.  It will not take much for trees to come down from this afternoon's activity or even from the synoptic scale winds. 

• Like 1

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
737 AM EDT Mon Apr 13 2020

The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  Northwestern St. Marys County in southern Maryland...
  Charles County in southern Maryland...
  King George County in central Virginia...

* Until 815 AM EDT.

* At 737 AM EDT, severe thunderstorms were located along a line
  extending from near Quantico to near Fairview Beach, moving east at
  45 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Damaging winds will cause some trees and large branches 
           to fall. This could injure those outdoors, as well as 
           damage homes and vehicles. Roadways may become blocked by 
           downed trees. Localized power outages are possible. 
           Unsecured light objects may become projectiles.

* Locations impacted include...
  Waldorf, La Plata, King George, Dahlgren, Quantico, Fairview Beach,
  Nanjemoy Creek, Popes Creek, Wicomico River, Potomac Creek, Port
  Tobacco River, Saint Charles, Wicomico, Cherry Hill, Bryans Road,
  Hughesville, Mechanicsville, Charlotte Hall, Passapatanzy and Cobb
  Island.

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

HRRR is handling the winds, and therefore the boundary layer, much better than the NAM to this point.  Almost nothing has made it to the surface yet around DC.  DCA's highest gust this morning is 23mph.  Even the HRRR shows the gusts picking up by 10-11am, though, as we destabilize.

~1.6" so far here.

HRRR is lit for us later today.  Tons of discrete stuff through 18/19z.  Really hope this isn't a care of the HRRR being HRRible.

This batch of rain is going to be really bad for later. Even areas of my parent's yard (I'm in Colesville today) are completely water logged and spongy. There is major ponding. We are moving all of our cars out from under trees once the rain tapers off. 

Just now, Eskimo Joe said:

HRRR is lit for us later today.  Tons of discrete stuff through 18/19z.  Really hope this isn't a care of the HRRR being HRRible.

It could be - nice when it improves in closing, though. What run are you looking at? 

You know the joke - the HRRR will be right 2 hours after our event! 

Just now, Kmlwx said:

Should we migrate to the obs thread? Or should we split into a thread specifically for this event? I realize it's kind of late into the event...but still something to consider. 

@mappy - what say the mods? 

I'd say throw stuff for today in the April obs thread.  Thats just me.  If we did have a separate thread already going then obvi there.  But since we dont then reg obs thread could suffice.

Just now, Kmlwx said:

Should we migrate to the obs thread? Or should we split into a thread specifically for this event? I realize it's kind of late into the event...but still something to consider. 

@mappy - what say the mods? 

i wouldnt migrate to a new thread. severe obs/disc here as usual

• Thanks 1

Just now, H2O said:

I'd say throw stuff for today in the April obs thread.  Thats just me.  If we did have a separate thread already going then obvi there.  But since we dont then reg obs thread could suffice.

then whats the point of this thread and an obs thread? if we are going to post our severe winds, watches, rain, etc in that thread... why have this one?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mappy said:

then whats the point of this thread and an obs thread? if we are going to post our severe winds, watches, rain, etc in that thread... why have this one?

True - and it's already day-of. I think in the past we had treated this one as more like the winter-time "Long Range Discussion" thread. Arguments for both I guess - I definitely don't mind staying here. Though for anybody reading back in future years - does make it easier to find if it's a separate event thread. 

Let's stay here. 

1 minute ago, mappy said:

I guess i just thought this thread was to lead up to specific events and if there wasn't a thread made for that specific event the obs thread could take the bulk of the storm posts.  Its whatever people want tho.  Twas merely a suggestion.

Just now, Kmlwx said:

True - and it's already day-of. I think in the past we had treated this one as more like the winter-time "Long Range Discussion" thread. Arguments for both I guess - I definitely don't mind staying here. Though for anybody reading back in future years - does make it easier to find if it's a separate event thread. 

Let's stay here. 

IMO, we just keep doing what we are doing. 

Just now, Kmlwx said:

Let's stay here. 

I'm good with staying here as well for this event.

How often do you see a TAF like this:

FTUS41 KLWX 131202 AAB
TAFIAD
TAF AMD
KIAD 131202Z 1312/1418 14015G31KT 6SM -SHRA BKN015 OVC050
      WS020/18050KT
     FM131400 19020G45KT 6SM SHRA VCTS BKN025CB BKN130
     FM131800 23020G45KT P6SM VCSH BKN060
     FM132000 26018G35KT P6SM SCT060
     FM140000 29015G25KT P6SM SCT050
     FM140500 32008KT P6SM SKC
     FM141400 32008G16KT P6SM FEW050 BKN200=

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Got my eye on Charleston, WV radar.  That's where our activity will be forming over the next 2 to 3 hours.

True, and some of the storms that develop out there will come our way in a few hours, but the CAM simulations also show cells developing locally around midday.