Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Thread

Kmlwx

12 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

This is a great visualization of the expansive nature of the system as it moves up our way.  

The wind just off the surface is so impressive. I honestly might be more impressed by that than any severe parameters for us

• Like 1

High wind watch in effect here, Oh joy, haven't had enough of that. Monday looks interesting for sure.

Latest AFD from Mt Holly on the potential:

A significant storm system producing both strong and damaging winds and heavy rain is gearing up to affect the region from late Sunday night through Monday. Broad low pressure will continue to develop and organize over the Midwest Sunday evening as a deep upper trough digs through the western U.S. Meanwhile, out ahead of this low, a strong 70-80 kt LLJ at 925 mb and 80-90 kt winds at 850 mb will lift through the region Monday morning through Monday afternoon. In addition, a southerly pressure gradient will tighten over the region as the low rapidly intensifies, lowering from around 994 mb Sunday evening over the Midwest to around 980 mb by Monday evening.

The NAM BUFKIT profiles indicate a low level inversion that would suggest that the strongest winds would remain aloft. However, with a tight gradient, and with heavy rain showers through the morning, there should be strong enough mixing. Generally expecting wind gusts of 40-50 mph in the southern Poconos, far NW New Jersey, and through the Lehigh Valley. For the rest of southeast Pennsylvania, including Philadelphia, the rest of New Jersey, and Delmarva, wind gusts will generally range from 50-60 mph, and there is the potential for even stronger winds right along the New Jersey and Delaware coasts, possibly as high as 60-70 mph. A High Wind Watch is now in effect for most of the region, except for the far northern zones.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Thought I'd pop my head in here to see what crankywx has been severe honking about (ya don't see him honk that much...so I figured it had to be something notable!) So what's going on here? Lol (reading the other posts here now!)

Posts tell the whole story. Big day tomorrow in the southeast. Maybe a decent severe day for us Monday. We'll see! 

8 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

The 3km NAM is so convoluted.  You’ve got the warm front showers overnight, effectively ending by 8am.  Then we get the leftover line of storms from MS/TN late morning.  And after that the parameters peak and we got more storms firing early afternoon.  That is a lot going on.  

Some of our big severe days do seem to have a morning round. But this is a lot. I wonder if it'll get some clarity and focus more on one of the rounds in future runs. 

IF the models still look like this at 12z tomorrow I'm going to really start honking. @Eskimo Joe - you're looking at 0z tomorrow night, right?

7 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Some of our big severe days do seem to have a morning round. But this is a lot. I wonder if it'll get some clarity and focus more on one of the rounds in future runs. 

IF the models still look like this at 12z tomorrow I'm going to really start honking. @Eskimo Joe - you're looking at 0z tomorrow night, right?

Yea 00z tonorrow is big for me, need euro et al on board.

Among the CAMs, the NAM nest is by far the best in terms of reflectivity, although its updraft helicity signals are modest.    The other CAMs overall aren't as good.    But the environment still looks like questionable instability but fantastic low level shear, so we're still very much in the game.