Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2020 Mid-Atlantic Severe Weather - General Thread

Kmlwx

6 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I got woken up as well, but no idea what time. It sounded pretty bad but there was only .20” in the gauge this morning, so it couldn’t have been too rough.

my davis needs to be sent off for repair. it doesn't hold the solar charge at night anymore. was going to send it just before this all happened but now just going to wait it out. so my station is pretty much useless at night lol 

3 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Gotta watch those.  Sneaky secondary max that can surprise a few areas real quick.

Usual caveats apply - and that's only 24 hour time steps. Wonder where it goes from there. I'm still mostly assuming we won't get enough warm sector...but we'll see how things trend in the next few days. Makes a huge difference if it goes ENE from there or if it rides the Blue Ride area to the NE. 

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_6.png

Just now, Kmlwx said:

Usual caveats apply - and that's only 24 hour time steps. Wonder where it goes from there. I'm still mostly assuming we won't get enough warm sector...but we'll see how things trend in the next few days. 

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_6.png

Strengthening or mature sub 1000 mb lows running CLE -> BUF don't go quietly into the night here.  If this continues, especially with the little secondary low running close to us, we could certinaly get a sneaky event with a big storm or two embedded.

1 minute ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Strengthening or mature sub 1000 mb lows running CLE -> BUF don't go quietly into the night here.  If this continues, especially with the little secondary low running close to us, we could certinaly get a sneaky event with a big storm or two embedded.

CIPS has been pretty weak for our area...but it also goes off of the American guidance so I'm not surprised. I think Sunday is more or less off the table for us at the moment. Monday is definitely our window. I could see this being a relatively early day situation for us (before 1pm) - so we'll need to either hope it's one of those "don't need sunshine" days or hope for some continued slowing down of the system. 

That little low on the map above is going to be very jumpy the next few days. Suspect some runs it won't even show up on, others it might be too far south for us. 

Fickle hobby we have. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

CIPS has been pretty weak for our area...but it also goes off of the American guidance so I'm not surprised. I think Sunday is more or less off the table for us at the moment. Monday is definitely our window. I could see this being a relatively early day situation for us (before 1pm) - so we'll need to either hope it's one of those "don't need sunshine" days or hope for some continued slowing down of the system. 

That little low on the map above is going to be very jumpy the next few days. Suspect some runs it won't even show up on, others it might be too far south for us. 

Fickle hobby we have. 

Yup.  I've learned to always bet on a fail and be happy with anything you get.

• Like 1

Hmmmm... LWX seems to think there will be a chance for some severe late tonight in the form of damaging winds out in the western part of the forum with wording in the zones and updated evening AFD:

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM THURSDAY MORNING/...
A weak boundary stretches has pushed just south of the region
this evening. Dry conditions are expected into the early
overnight, with mostly clear skies for the first half of the
night in the wake of the front. Ongoing convective complex will
likely be moving into the area after midnight. It will probably
be in a weakening state, although there still could be some
thunder and the damaging wind threat with it is non-zero. For
most of the metro area, it should not be the biggest convective
threat with this system, but in western Virginia and eastern
West Virginia, it may be. Lows will remain fairly mild, with 50s
common.

20 minutes ago, yoda said:

Hmmmm... LWX seems to think there will be a chance for some severe late tonight in the form of damaging winds out in the western part of the forum with wording in the zones and updated AFD

Not a bad call by LWX.     Good reflectivity persists in several CAMS as the storms make it western VA, and soundings do show some modest potential for momentum transport to the ground.

Still think that that most of us (except for the western and southwestern areas) have a shot at strong midday gusts in a line along the front followed by strong post-frontal gusts too.

• Like 1

For overnight

mcd0321.gif

Mesoscale Discussion 0321
   NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   1150 PM CDT Wed Apr 08 2020

Areas affected...West Virginia into western Virginia

Concerning...Severe potential...Watch possible 

Valid 090450Z - 090645Z

Probability of Watch Issuance...40 percent

SUMMARY...A line of severe storms may still be severe as it
   approaches the eastern parts of Tornado Watch 93.

DISCUSSION...A strongly forced line of storms with history of
   damaging winds continues rapidly eastward at over 50 kt. VWPs ahead
   of the line indicate modest southwesterly winds just off the
   surface, which is helping to increase moisture and instability
   values to the east, and despite relatively cooler surface
   temperatures. Despite marginal instability, the high level of
   organization suggests some chance of continued severe wind threat as
   the line approaches eastern WV and possibly across the VA border.
   Trends will continue to be monitored, and another watch may need to
   be considered.

..Jewell/Hart.. 04/09/2020

...Please see www.spc.noaa.gov for graphic product...

ATTN...WFO...LWX...RNK...PBZ...RLX...

and later today from new Day 1 SPC OTLK

...Southeast New York/Mid-Atlantic/Carolinas...
   An upper-level trough will move quickly eastward into the upper Ohio
   Valley this morning. An associated 100 to 120 kt mid-level jet will
   move through the base of the trough with the exit region of the jet
   overspreading the Mid-Atlantic region. At the surface, a cold front
   will advance quickly eastward across the central Appalachians this
   morning. Surface dewpoints ahead of the front should be in the mid
   to upper 50s F, allowing for weak instability to develop. As strong
   large-scale ascent moves into the region form the west, low-topped
   thunderstorms should initiate and move quickly eastward toward the
   coast. Due to very strong wind speeds in the low to mid-levels, this
   convection should be able to produce damaging wind gusts. Although
   the greatest threat should be from the vicinity of Washington D.C.
   to near New York City, marginally severe wind gusts will also be
   possible in southern New England and southward into Virginia and the
   Carolinas.

Clearing here currently with the early morning storms moving off the Southern NJ coastline. 

Wind threat appears impressive,  even after the any squall line later this afternoon, and the expiration of the wind advisory , gusty winds will continue until later Saturday, combined with temps in the 30's  over night.   

HM chimes in.

Looks like a box will be coming soon for DC and points east and northeast.    Two lines intensifying to our west now, with SPC mesoanalysis showing 500+ sfc-based cape in the area where the watch is being considered.      That's probably enough instability, given the strong wind fields and fast storm motion, to get some impressive gusts.

2 minutes ago, high risk said:

Looks like a box will be coming soon for DC and points east and northeast.    Two lines intensifying to our west now, with SPC mesoanalysis showing 500+ sfc-based cape in the area where the watch is being considered.      That's probably enough instability, given the strong wind fields and fast storm motion, to get some impressive gusts.

Yup. https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/2020/md0324.html

Baltimore and points NE are primed.

4 minutes ago, AmericanWxFreak said:

I can't explain why but the wind is Kicking in that part of the line if you look at the velo's

Really strange. I get the most recent one issued from about 70 and north, but the one south......weird that there is a lot of wind in that area.

Just now, osfan24 said:

Really strange. I get the most recent one issued from about 70 and north, but the one south......weird that there is a lot of wind in that area.

Interesting because that is a very common "starting point" for damaging wind cores into the metro area. I can recall a few that had a big bundle of great velocity returns on radar before dealing damage into the metro area. 

Believe there was one in July earlier in the 2010s.