MDC013-021-031-043-VAC043-069-107-WVC037-080830-
/O.NEW.KLWX.SV.W.0030.200408T0743Z-200408T0830Z/

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
343 AM EDT Wed Apr 8 2020

The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  Southeastern Washington County in north central Maryland...
  Southwestern Carroll County in north central Maryland...
  Western Montgomery County in central Maryland...
  Southern Frederick County in north central Maryland...
  Loudoun County in northern Virginia...
  Eastern Frederick County in northwestern Virginia...
  Central Clarke County in northwestern Virginia...
  Southern Jefferson County in the Panhandle of West Virginia...

* Until 430 AM EDT.

* At 343 AM EDT, severe thunderstorms were located along a line
  extending from Clover Hill to 6 miles southwest of Brunswick to
  near Berryville, moving southeast at 60 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Damaging winds will cause some trees and large branches
           to fall. This could injure those outdoors, as well as
           damage homes and vehicles. Roadways may become blocked by
           downed trees. Localized power outages are possible.
           Unsecured light objects may become projectiles.

* Locations impacted include...
  Germantown, Frederick, Gaithersburg, Leesburg, South Riding,
  Damascus, Broadlands, Lansdowne, Lowes Island, Brambleton,
  Poolesville, Harry Grove Stadium, Ashburn, Montgomery Village,
  Sterling, North Potomac, Ballenger Creek, Countryside, Mount Airy
  and Purcellville.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a
building.

&&

LAT...LON 3941 7717 3935 7714 3935 7717 3934 7719
      3925 7710 3903 7726 3906 7733 3898 7741
      3891 7760 3894 7764 3899 7786 3920 7808
      3927 7775 3950 7749
TIME...MOT...LOC 0743Z 304DEG 51KT 3944 7746 3924 7769 3919 7793

HAIL...1.00IN
WIND...60MPH

MDC003-005-013-021-025-027-510-080830-
/O.NEW.KLWX.SV.W.0031.200408T0753Z-200408T0830Z/

BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
353 AM EDT Wed Apr 8 2020

The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  Southeastern Carroll County in north central Maryland...
  Baltimore City in northern Maryland...
  North central Anne Arundel County in central Maryland...
  Howard County in central Maryland...
  Southwestern Harford County in northern Maryland...
  East central Frederick County in north central Maryland...
  Baltimore County in northern Maryland...

* Until 430 AM EDT.

* At 353 AM EDT, severe thunderstorms were located along a line
  extending from near Hampstead to near Gamber to Mount Airy, moving
  southeast at 45 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Damaging winds will cause some trees and large branches
           to fall. This could injure those outdoors, as well as
           damage homes and vehicles. Roadways may become blocked by
           downed trees. Localized power outages are possible.
           Unsecured light objects may become projectiles.

* Locations impacted include...
  Baltimore, Columbia, Pikesville, Middle River, Cockeysville,
  Elkridge, Riviera Beach, Millers Island, North Point State Park,
  Sparrows Point, Back River, Historic Ellicott City, Glen Burnie,
  Ellicott City, Dundalk, Towson, Catonsville, Essex, Woodlawn and
  Randallstown.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a
building.

&&

LAT...LON 3931 7629 3933 7631 3925 7638 3919 7647
      3920 7650 3918 7648 3917 7650 3918 7694
      3928 7710 3939 7722 3947 7701 3963 7686
      3958 7659 3938 7618
TIME...MOT...LOC 0753Z 303DEG 41KT 3958 7688 3945 7697 3938 7715

HAIL...1.00IN
WIND...60MPH

Much of the guidance gets us to at-or-above 70 degrees on Monday. There could be a severe risk then - as also pointed out in the D4-8 from SPC. Still looks like the big time threat will remain well south of the area for the potential Easter Sunday outbreak that is being modeled. 

Doesn't look like much for us today until you get down into Southern Maryland - maybe a few cells. 

We'll also keep an eye on tomorrow of course. 

5 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

So question. We had continual flashes of lightning up here but hardly any thunder. I think my husband and I counted 2 claps. Is it because the strongest part of the storm is right overhead. It reminded me of watching lightning off in the distance about 50 miles away. Continual light show but no thunder. 

Funny, I was up last night and saw your post....I actually thought about it on the way into the office this morning.  I'm curious also....the thunder was crazy at our house.  Could hail deflect sound if the situation is just right?

2 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

Funny, I was up last night and saw your post....I actually thought about it on the way into the office this morning.  I'm curious also....the thunder was crazy at our house.  Could hail deflect sound if the situation is just right?

We did have hail but it was not big. Pea sized at best but was continual for about 1-2 min. 

18 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

So question. We had continual flashes of lightning up here but hardly any thunder. I think my husband and I counted 2 claps. Is it because the strongest part of the storm is right overhead. It reminded me of watching lightning off in the distance about 50 miles away. Continual light show but no thunder. 

Sounds like elevated convection.  You see all the lightning but don't hear the thunder.  It's like sitting on the bottom of a pool and looking up and everything moving but not hearing the sound.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Sounds like elevated convection.  You see all the lightning but don't hear the thunder.  It's like sitting on the bottom of a pool and looking up and everything moving but not hearing the sound.  

Thank you! Will teach the girls about that today for their extended science classes. 

First legit thunderstorm of the season for us in Harford Co.  Nocturnal storms are great.  Was watching it safely from our bunker in quarantine.  The PTZ on the tower is great for watching lightning spider all over the sky and I know the thunder is getting loud when I can hear it down here!  Saw some hail mostly pea and marble sized disks bouncing off the solar panels.  Nothing like what they got earlier in S MD and lower eastern shore of VA though.  And that's OK with me. 

More from Bethesda below.  I may have missed it, but I don't think there was a warning out for this portion of the line.

I'm a few miles away, and it doesn't seem like we had any significant wind here.  My weather station (which is highly sheltered from wind) only had a reading of 10 mph.  It tends to run 40-50% of actual winds, so it suggests we didn't see anything above the low 20s.

1 hour ago, Mrs.J said:

I noticed something like that but there was an occasional boom of thunder.  But on one specific occasion I saw a bolt of lightning, the actual zigzag bolt not just a flash, opened the door to listen to the thunder but it never came.  Also had nickel sized hail around 11:30pm -  midnight.   Another storm apparently hit around 4am but I slept through it, but I noticed some wind damage around the house, large branches down, lot of blossoms on my Yoshino Cherry ripped off.

33 minutes ago, The Dude said:

More from Bethesda below.  I may have missed it, but I don't think there was a warning out for this portion of the line.

I'm a few miles away, and it doesn't seem like we had any significant wind here.  My weather station (which is highly sheltered from wind) only had a reading of 10 mph.  It tends to run 40-50% of actual winds, so it suggests we didn't see anything above the low 20s.

LWX issued SVR #32 at 4:22 am to 5:00 am and this occurred around 4:35 am based off radar.

20 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Thanks.  I guess I need to check my weather radio to see why it didn't go off.

I've had some signal differences with the 162.450 frequency at my parent's house compared to the past few years. Certain parts of the house that got great reception before, no longer do. And corners of the house where it would seem no radio signal could be received are now excellent. 

162.550 used to be my go-to until the 450 one came online. 

13 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Monday looks like our shot from the big storm system. If the slower solutions are correct there could be some decent warm temps on Monday and storms.

Yeah, that's our best shot, although the warm front is going to have a tough time getting here no matter what.

I'm still not giving up on tomorrow, although  solutions showing instability ahead of the front are not the majority.    Seems like an early morning dying line hurts our chances.

4 minutes ago, high risk said:

Yeah, that's our best shot, although the warm front is going to have a tough time getting here no matter what.

I'm still not giving up on tomorrow, although  solutions showing instability ahead of the front are not the majority.    Seems like an early morning dying line hurts our chances.

It does seem like for tomorrow - east of our area has a better shot. 

As much as I don't want to jump to 80s and humidity very quickly...it would be fun to get some exciting bonafide severe days in here soon. early April is still a bit early of course...but this is the time of year when it's not quite as hard as March or earlier. 

Hoping we can track something more than gusty showers. The storms last night were pretty nice - hell of a lightning show in the 4am hour . 

• Like 1

I have to say that I'm surprised to see the microburst in Bethesda.      It seemed like a setup in which the instability was elevated which would have led to minimal wind threat but a decent hail threat with the good lapse rates (which materialized).      Progs showed much more most unstable cape than sfc cape,  but I guess that the line was able to find just enough sfc-based instability in that area.   

5 minutes ago, high risk said:

I have to say that I'm surprised to see the microburst in Bethesda.      It seemed like a setup in which the instability was elevated which would have led to minimal wind threat but a decent hail threat with the good lapse rates (which materialized).      Progs showed much more most unstable cape than sfc cape,  but I guess that the line was able to find just enough sfc-based instability in that area.   

Would any small-scale influences like the Potomac have impacted that? Or maybe the boundary that was around the Potomac River from the activity earlier in the day? Or would those types not have been significant enough factors to change much?