Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22nd-25th Winter Storm Potential

Thundersnow12

23 minutes ago, Thundersnow12 said:

You might have to back track when you see how much snow the best in the biz is forecasting for you. 

So much for the pros being in your camp :lol:

tth, u know I'm golden

New graphic has 1.5 part one, 1 part two, so my d5 call looks off by a whopping 6 tenths 

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I'd be shocked if you got to 38. 

No offense to RC and the other NWS mets, but never been a big fan of the point and click.  I will glance sometimes but I tend to go for the zone forecasts.  The point and clicks can throw out some real gems sometimes in multi precip type situations especially when it'll break things down into 2 or 3 hour blocks.  

Even better, my current p&c is twice broken down into 1 hour blocks. That's some dandy forecasting, right there!

Thursday Night
Rain and snow before 3am, then rain between 3am and 4am, then rain and snow after 4am. Low around 32.
Friday Night
A chance of rain and snow before 10pm, then a chance of rain between 10pm and 11pm, then a chance of snow after 11pm.

Anyway, I'll once again be watching this one put accumulations down to my northwest, with moods flakes for us.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Even better, my current p&c is twice broken down into 1 hour blocks. That's some dandy forecasting, right there!

Thursday Night
Rain and snow before 3am, then rain between 3am and 4am, then rain and snow after 4am. Low around 32.
Friday Night
A chance of rain and snow before 10pm, then a chance of rain between 10pm and 11pm, then a chance of snow after 11pm.

Anyway, I'll once again be watching this one put accumulations down to my northwest, with moods flakes for us.

Yeah that is kind of what I'm talking about.  But they can really sound goofy when you add in the possibility of sleet/freezing rain.  

For the benefit of the board, a visual of our grand total snowfall forecast tonight-Sat AM snowfall from the LOT dayshift (MTF through 12z Thursday portion and myself the rest of the event). This ended up falling out pretty close to the internal graphics WPC shares with the WFOs for collaboration purposes and I think looks pretty reasonable based on all the available data.

We've been breaking the forecast into two separate "events" in graphics and only going with the first part on the probablistic snowfall page. That's because we feel that putting out the grand total snowfall forecast in a public facing graphic on the web and especially social media would make the event seem more impactful than it will likely end up being. Plus, as has been discussed, the net snowfall will end up some percentage lower than this grand total when accounting for melting and compaction.

Will post additional thoughts later. 

20200122_192834.thumb.jpg.2c88a6471c131f72489335f25b924dd5.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

0z hrrr torchy like gfs. Has rain wrapping around low all night Fri. I just don't buy that. There should be some CAA wrapping on backside of low. This first wave is definitely looking pretty paltry on radar. Wondering if precip by Gulf is disrupting moisture feed. Also looked like that first disturbance lifted more west than anticipated 

54 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

For the benefit of the board, a visual of our grand total snowfall forecast tonight-Sat AM snowfall from the LOT dayshift (MTF through 12z Thursday portion and myself the rest of the event). This ended up falling out pretty close to the internal graphics WPC shares with the WFOs for collaboration purposes and I think looks pretty reasonable based on all the available data.

We've been breaking the forecast into two separate "events" in graphics and only going with the first part on the probablistic snowfall page. That's because we feel that putting out the grand total snowfall forecast in a public facing graphic on the web and especially social media would make the event seem more impactful than it will likely end up being. Plus, as has been discussed, the net snowfall will end up some percentage lower than this grand total when accounting for melting and compaction.

Will post additional thoughts later. 

20200122_192834.thumb.jpg.2c88a6471c131f72489335f25b924dd5.jpg

Solid map given current data.  I'd say if somebody could overachieve, an area to watch would be the south burbs into part of northwest IN.  It would help if tomorrow night thumps pretty good there prior to rain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

13 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

0z hrrr torchy like gfs. Has rain wrapping around low all night Fri. I just don't buy that. There should be some CAA wrapping on backside of low. This first wave is definitely looking pretty paltry on radar. Wondering if precip by Gulf is disrupting moisture feed. Also looked like that first disturbance lifted more west than anticipated 

HRRR may be having some sfc temp issues as its known to do, especially in its longer range.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

This storm is starting to look like a hot mess...a dog's breakfast.

Starting?

We're in the "game" as it were, but you got to like the north shore of Lk Ontario just east of the city.  Parts of the higher elevations in Northumberland and Hastings counties look like they could go 12-18" inches of cement over the course of 36 hours. 

26 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Starting?

We're in the "game" as it were, but you got to like the north shore of Lk Ontario just east of the city.  Parts of the higher elevations in Northumberland and Hastings counties look like they could go 12-18" inches of cement over the course of 36 hours. 

The NAM 3km is interesting. It starts off as rain but quickly transitions over to wet snow near the end of the run. Temps at 850mb begin cooling down pretty quick. Reminds me of the late Feb '13 storm where we got 8" of cement lol. 

Edit: Kuchera maps have 1-2" by 60 hrs. 

32 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Starting?

Point taken. I'm hoping we can at least manage 2".

Just now, Hoosier said:

The GFS is still at it with the 925 mb temp thing.  Here are the last few days of runs valid at 00z Friday.  Notice the last few runs in severe catchup mode.

NEXLABdpdt-00Z-20200124_GFSMW_925_temp-100-100.gif.07ebffdbb23129387309a207db8dc07b.gif

Utter trash model. Literally shows rain here from tomorrow afternoon through the rest of the event. Makes no sense. I do believe there will be rain at times but there will definitely be snow at night