Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid January/Mid February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

23 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Maybe we somehow can get the AK PV to sort of roll over and displace near the Aleutians? Time that with the ridging near the NAO, the PNA spike, and have that feature pump heights into the EPO domain. Just looking for possibilities. Of course 10 days+ out, things could collapse and go opposite etc. There is some confidence beginning to build in the LR and I like how they are 'hints' and not some in your face epic look that will undoubtedly fall apart.

It can snow with an AK vortex if we get a -NAO. We’ve had plenty of Feb snowstorms in that look. Just need to weaken the PV such that it’s not encompassing the entire AO space from Epo to NAO. That simply sets up a raging zonal mid lat jet where the mid latitudes are warm pretty much across the entire N Hem. Have to get that to break down to have a sustained good pattern. 

GEFS shows some potential for the Feb 1-2 deal to work out but it also really illustrates how close we are on temps and how that could be a problem. Beyond that is typical shotgun in "who the F knows" land. 

ETA: need to walk back on the who the F knows comment... GEFS actually has a cluster centered around the 5th-7th. Nothing eye popping but it's easy to see

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Looks like an attempt to start altering the NAM state as we begin Feb.  Expected impacts would be later in the month, but we might start to see a more favorable HL background as soon as mid Feb. Should this occur, there is the possibility it might lock in for a couple weeks towards later Feb and early March.

As we get deeper in Feb. hopefully a more robust cold air source gets established in Canada, that we can tap into. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Just need to weaken the PV

Maybe the process begins soon. 

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The gefs kind of did move towards the op wrt the NAO long range. 

It was a pretty good run overall. Extremely active just like the ops are showing but man is the spread huge on sensible wx. Keeping it simple is the best approach. Transition into an active pattern with some semblance of a PNA ridge and let the chips fall. I'm starting to think we won't go 15 days without some sort of winter wx. How much and when is above my pay grade. 

47 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

There was an “or”. Roll with the unpredictability. Maybe my perception is wrong, and if so I apologize, but for several years now you “seem” to really obsess over trying to find predictability to our snowfall chances. Beyond a week or so that’s difficult. We all want that. But it’s just not realistic at long range. 

Truth is we get a few great years time to time but any given year has a higher chance to suck than be good.  Basically I always expect it to suck...I don’t expect snow, and then whenever it comes I appreciate the hell out of it. Less stress that way. 

And you seem keep holding that over my head despite the fact that the last several years I have been very new to this, but have been learning year by year. Look I get it...I'm learning our region's tendencies. I've learned how la Nina's suck. I'm learning how much of a tightrope it can be to get snow around here (and what a classic storm looks like). I am learning how much chaos there is, and how we sometimes need multiple swings to get something.

The difference with my outlook this year was solely based on our every 3-4 history with footers--but I am very aware that trends can break anytime (as I've said) But my goodness, is it so wrong for me to at least HOPE it continues? (while under no delusion that anything HAS to happen).

P.S. Yes, I like to be able to have things to look at as predictors of other things...but I've been growing understand how much "chaos" there can be in weather.

• Haha 1

Just now, Bob Chill said:

It was a pretty good run overall. Extremely active just like the ops are showing but man is the spread huge on sensible wx. Keeping it simple is the best approach. Transition into an active pattern with some semblance of a PNA ridge and let the chips fall. I'm starting to think we won't go 15 days without some sort of winter wx. How much and when is above my pay grade. 

Active pattern in first two weeks of February is about as much as we can ask for.  

6 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Active pattern in first two weeks of February is about as much as we can ask for.  

It's nice to see things holding in time as the leads close. Appears to be our best general setup of the winter so far but that really isn't saying much considering how abysmal it's been. lol. My expectations are slowly shifting towards above normal odds of getting some sort of snow event. Temps are going to frustrate us though. No real deep cold being advertised until late in the first week of Feb. I'd hate to have a forum divider storm. General pattern looks like the typical east of the fall line is dicey at best and once you get further NW it looks pretty good. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Geps gets some NAO ridge day 11-13 but then shifts to a ridge over the top from the epo side. But so long as the guidance agrees to break down the +++NAM state it’s a win imo. 

So far this winter the JMA  has been doing rather well I believe with features inside of weeks two. Until recently when it forecasted the - EPO to develop and it was a false alarm. 

I feel  the - EPO will not be denied indefinitely.  Would make sense for it to show in Feb. Then, on its coat tale, would be possible - NAO period later in Feb., or more likely in early March based on the seasonal odds. 

After a minor peak upwards the IOD is down to + 0.12 the lowest yet