Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid January/Mid February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

4 hours ago, PDIII said:

I would go with the Cascades.. or maybe Maine

Cascades are awesome!  I think just the 3rd day this year with sun in the higher Cascades?  

My kid had semester break today so nice skiing in this morning on a rather balmy day.  Pretty warm season out here but snow pack is pretty normal above 6000' . 

LOVE spring skiing out here from late March into mid May.  Photo of the summit ski bowls today.  

Bachelor Bowls Jan 31-2020.jpe

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, snownut said:

Cascades are awesome!  I think just the 3rd day this year with sun in the higher Cascades?  

My kid had semester break today so nice skiing in this morning on a rather balmy day.  Pretty warm season out here but snow pack is pretty normal above 6000' . 

LOVE spring skiing out here from late March into mid May.  Photo of the summit ski bowls today.  

Bachelor Bowls Jan 31-2020.jpe

Was at Heavenly a few weeks ago, South Lake Tahoe, great powder. Sierra Nevada's region also great 

• Like 2

This is random but does anyone remember that really isolated snow event that hit west of Philly I believe? I want to say it was a decade or more ago possibly. From what I remember, it was some fluke snow band that just sat over a small area and dumped snow. I think there were reports of like 15 inches.

4 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

This is random but does anyone remember that really isolated snow event that hit west of Philly I believe? I want to say it was a decade or more ago possibly. From what I remember, it was some fluke snow band that just sat over a small area and dumped snow. I think there were reports of like 15 inches.

December 8 2013?

40 minutes ago, Solution Man said:

Was at Heavenly a few weeks ago, South Lake Tahoe, great powder. Sierra Nevada's region also great 

I’m going to hit up either Utah or Aspen sometime before the season is over.  I would prefer SLC, so many great options but might lean Aspen because flights to Denver are a lot cheaper and easier to get last minute. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I’m going to hit up either Utah or Aspen sometime before the season is over.  I would prefer SLC, so many great options but might lean Aspen because flights to Denver are a lot cheaper and easier to get last minute. 

I am in C Springs this week for work.  It just snows randomly like last night.  Snow squalls roll through.  6K feet elevation is a great thing. They get a brief warm spell then warning level event by Monday night. 

25 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Think you’re referring to February 2009 around Lancaster, PA. Narrow band set up and absolutely dumped on parts of Lancaster and Chester county.image.jpeg.0d5d61a1f19662b911e151ae8f53f8a6.jpeg

30 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2009/03-Feb-09.html

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Just imagine how much a fluke like that changes a season. Some areas around Philly got over a foot from that upper level low also. 

I lived in Delco which is the county left of PHL and we got crushed. Tiniest micro deathband ever. I think iirc we picked up 11" areas 15 miles away 0. What a fluke event that was.

40 minutes ago, wawarriors4 said:

Think you’re referring to February 2009 around Lancaster, PA. Narrow band set up and absolutely dumped on parts of Lancaster and Chester county.image.jpeg.0d5d61a1f19662b911e151ae8f53f8a6.jpeg

Imagine living about 2 miles away and getting almost nothing. Yeah that’ll make a season alright. Just like the March 09 storm did for our season here in Winchester.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Just imagine how much a fluke like that changes a season. Some areas around Philly got over a foot from that upper level low also. 

I had just moved into my house here that week. We got 3-4 inches from a small band that developed in southern PA and enhanced as it moved south into our area. Probably the higher hills here helped to squeeze out every bit of liquid possible. Almost like our own version of upslope. This occurred late at night into the very early morning hours. LWX played catch up and they issued a WWA. By that time our snow was ending. They didn't think the band would weaken as it moved south so they put Baltimore County in the WWA. As it turned out the band would weaken. 

The band stayed strong for a few miles south of us. The 3 inch line made it to about Cape Horn Rd.  Once you got south of the hampstead walmart accumulations were much lighter. Maybe only an inch or so. That abrupt drop off shows how the first ridge weakened the band south of here. By the time it got to Reisterstown it fizzled  and there was only a dusting. 

The band actually regenerated a bit and parts of AA county got a decent coating.

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

My friend just moved there from here.

20200130_192514.jpg

Looking over the latest guidance for this weekend I think there might be a legit shot for some in here to see a coating to an inch tonight through N Va and central MD. Rates will play a big part and elevation may be the key (read into that the favored jackpot spots). I am still looking over things but may try to post something in a little bit in a devoted thread so as to keep it out of the mid and long range thread. 

34 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Looking over the latest guidance for this weekend I think there might be a legit shot for some in here to see a coating to an inch tonight through N Va and central MD. Rates will play a big part and elevation may be the key (read into that the favored jackpot spots). I am still looking over things but may try to post something in a little bit in a devoted thread so as to keep it out of the mid and long range thread. 

That’s cool because we probably punt the first half of Feb.  familiar territory to punt 2 weeks at a time.  Still have a dim candle lit for late Feb.