Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid January/Mid February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

2 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

They are serving a purpose though...they have been telling us our chances of snow are not good...and guess what...they havent been.  When/if the pattern gets better those maps will show a better probability.  Just because its depressing to see that our chances suck everyday doesn't make the information useless.    EXACTLY  WHY I SHOW THEM.....thanks PSU.

Sorry but they show the basic climatology of the area. Just like das pointed out. And yes, that’s always a low chance for snow.

Anyway, I’m dropping it. To each their own.

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Yea but if we look at the pattern for the whole 15 day period that map covers...it is about "normal"  The first 7 days are god awful for snow...with some lottery ticket super phase bomb scenario being the only chance, then after that a warmup as a trough dumps into the central US initially...then it gets good day 10-15...but only 5 of the 15 days have a good pattern...the other 10 are crap...so overall that washes out to about an "average" chance of 3" and since for that period you probably get 3" about 50% of the time...that seems about right...I would say that probability fits the pattern I am looking at pretty good.   I think those probability maps have actually been about what they should be given the patterns...so not sure what all the fuss is about.  

All the fuss is caused by the fact that it won't snow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, Round Hill WX said:

It is going to be very difficult to achieve the type of storm we need to get snow with this 250mb jet just racing zonally. No way to bomb and turn up the coast. 

I also read the fast flow across thousands of miles of the NH will decrease model accuracy. So be aware that all solutions in the medium, and long range especially, will have have some significant swings and changes. Only making the active periods even more prone to model chaos. 

21 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Our German friend keeps hope alive for this weekend.  Also shows a dusting to an inch on Thursday, favored west.

Pretty sad when you look out from our region. The Southern portions of Canada and  most of the US in general equal very little snow.  

21 minutes ago, frd said:

I also read the fast flow across thousands of miles of the NH will decrease model accuracy. So be aware that all solutions in the medium, and long range especially, will have have some significant swings and changes. Only making the active periods even more prone to model chaos. 

I agree and you can see subtle changes between 6z and 12z in the GFS. The vort(12z) over the ARKLATEX is stronger and for a time closed compared to the 6z which was flatter and in W. TX. This feature causes upstream jet dig and the surface features reflect that. I think it's going to be tough to overcome the strong jet, but it's still within the possibilities.

gfs_z500_vort_us_20.png

• Like 1