Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid January/Mid February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

23 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

this could work on the GFS...the lead wave is squashed but the NS wave that squashed it has amplified enough to leave a lot of cold air and still a decent amount of confluence to our north leading into the next wave...we will see.  I shouldn't predict how a run is going to go...never ends well.  

it didnt end well unless your 40 N smh

Just now, stormtracker said:

Agree.  Despite what it shows verbatim, I liked the run. 

I will say this...I never look at the surface long range until last...if at all...and looking at the upper levels everything went exactly the way i wanted to see...then I looked at the surface and was like...WTF...  but its 10 days away so who cares.  But I do seriously doubt if we get a 967 low off Ocean City on Feb 1 we rain.  The airmass leading in isnt that bad.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

Agree.  Despite what it shows verbatim, I liked the run. 

dont like it--i prefer the sure 4-8 inches from the chill storm than the 1-2 inches from the trailing that storm that has a 5% chance of giving us 1-2 feet....at least in this winteer

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

I will say this...I never look at the surface long range until last...if at all...and looking at the upper levels everything went exactly the way i wanted to see...then I looked at the surface and was like...WTF...  but its 10 days away so who cares.  But I do seriously doubt if we get a 967 low off Ocean City on Feb 1 we rain.  The airmass leading in isnt that bad.  

can you imagine getting rain from this during peak climo---

gfs_z500a_namer_39.png

• Sad 1

Just now, Ji said:

dont like it--i prefer the sure 4-8 inches from the chill storm than the 1-2 inches from the trailing that storm that has a 5% chance of giving us 1-2 feet....at least in this winteer

I agree...but right now that lead wave has very little upper level support and its running into a wall of supression.  It has very little chance unless we see some significant changes.  Those can still happen its 6 days away.  

WRT the more amplified day 9/10 option...that GFS solution showed how it can work...just need the thermals to be a couple degrees colder from day 10.  That isn't a big adjustment.  The track is perfect.  

The whole setup will likely undergo significant alterations by then.  If one of those is "colder" we could do well.  

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I agree...but right now that lead wave has very little upper level support and its running into a wall of supression.  It has very little chance unless we see some significant changes.  Those can still happen its 6 days away.  

WRT the more amplified day 9/10 option...that GFS solution showed how it can work...just need the thermals to be a couple degrees colder from day 10.  That isn't a big adjustment.  The track is perfect.  

The whole setup will likely undergo significant alterations by then.  If one of those is "colder" we could do well.  

yea...one problem i see with this map---is the 50/50 drifted too far east.....i mean we are trying to do a 1993 type storm without any blocking but i think 1993 didnt have blocking either right?

2 minutes ago, Ji said:

yea...one problem i see with this map---is the 50/50 drifted too far east.....i mean we are trying to do a 1993 type storm without any blocking but i think 1993 didnt have blocking either right?

no 1993 was one of the rare examples of a full latitude western coupled PNA/EPO ridge and a full latitude eastern N AMerican Trough that worked out.  Got enough of the trough to concentrate and bomb a storm.  This isn't quite that because there is a blocking ridge in Canada...kind of a mini mid latitude version I guess.  

The 50/50 has to vacate as the trough amplifies or else the storm cannot turn the corner.  Actually one of the issues here (and this is good because its likely a GFS over amplified bias issue) is how the upper low cuts off and digs so far south...that slows the system down and leaves us with a southerly flow ahead of it for too long...it destroys the airmass and then we don't recover in time.  If that upper low was a little more progressive and cuts off over TN instead of along the gulf coast its a win for us.  I wasnt trying to dig too deep into analysis of a day 9 storm on an op run though...but actually if we assume the upper low isnt going to cut off down south of Atlanta like that...its probably a snowier outcome for us.  

8 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Realistically that is probably the first best shot at some frozen imo. I liked what I saw on the means this morning, and why I highlighted that period. Could very well end up another rainer ofc.

Yea you are right... my post earlier was just trying to highlight why I agree with you.  

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yea you are right... my post earlier was just trying to highlight why I agree with you.  

Hopefully there are some better trends with next week's wave(s). Squash city for now. Would be a simple way to get a decent event with just enough cold air around and a modest wave tracking underneath, but it's never that simple lol.

35 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Agreed. I actually prefer to back into a snow event via trends rather than have a HECS shown and start stepping back. Guess it reduces the heartbreak when op expectations are lower lol. 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

@psuhoffman, not to overanalyze a 10 day deterministic GFS run, but concerning the rain we get from that bombing storm the first couple days of February...could part of that be due to the shortwave/low just north of the Lakes, messing up the thermals for us?  I do see that the high and 50/50 move out more rapidly than we'd like too, which I think was mentioned as well.  Regardless, that is quite a nice setup which I'm sure will change.

1 minute ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

@psuhoffman, not to overanalyze a 10 day deterministic GFS run, but concerning the rain we get from that bombing storm the first couple days of February...could part of that be due to the shortwave/low just north of the Lakes, messing up the thermals for us?  I do see that the high and 50/50 move out more rapidly than we'd like too, which I think was mentioned as well.  Regardless, that is quite a nice setup which I'm sure will change.

Would rather see it that way now whether than watch it erode run after run. We have been burnt so many times when we had a chance

I'm intrigued with how guidance is now squashing the d6-7 wave. Considering how winter has gone start to finish it would be fair to expect the squashed solution to relax as we move through the medium range. If it never happens then it's a sure sign that things are changing. Can't think of a single wave that trended south/squashed/colder from D5 on in. Might be forgetting something but overall all waves in the midwest have ended up being norther/warmer/rainier at game time. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm intrigued with how guidance is now squashing the d6-7 wave. Considering how winter has gone start to finish it would be fair to expect the squashed solution to relax as we move through the medium range. If it never happens then it's a sure sign that things are changing. Can't think of a single wave that trended south/squashed/colder from D5 on in. Might be forgetting something but overall all waves in the midwest have ended up being norther/warmer/rainier at game time. 

this ULL for this weekend storm was once in Virginia for 12z Sat

ecmwf_z500a_us_3.png

9 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

except when it has a chance to give us snow