• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid January/Mid February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

This thing started as a gulf coast low that then transferred north and slid east. It has now become a Midwest low trying to transfer east. We either get a much quicker and more south transfer or we go back to the original wackiness, or we are done. 

It’s that second piece of energy diving in that’s messing this up. When you go back to the better runs that piece got in there much faster and prior to that wasn’t there at all. That’s another thing that could possibly swing this back the other way.

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

This thing started as a gulf coast low that then transferred north and slid east. It has now become a Midwest low trying to transfer east. We either get a much quicker and more south transfer or we go back to the original wackiness, or we are done. 

It’s that second piece of energy diving in that’s messing this up. When you go back to the better runs that piece got in there much faster and prior to that wasn’t there at all. That’s another thing that could possibly swing this back the other way.

What is messing this up in the broader sense is the longwave pattern.   The upper low is stuck under blocking in canada yes... and that forces a south track of that feature (considering where it starts out) and that is why a ridge near Hudson Bay can sometimes work for us with a crappy background state... but in this case the wall to wall lower heights all across from AK to the NAO is blasting warm air across the continent.  The problem isnt really the upper low.  I guess it is if you were hoping to salvage any frozen in spite of the fact the antecendent airmass is a rotting POS.  Then yea...the only way was to get a damn perfect H5 track and a bombing surface low to our east.  But that is so rare.  The real problem is the surface low is going to try to seek out the baroclinic zone and that is way way way north.  So even with a pretty ok upper track the surface low is going to cut, on some runs it even ends up NW of the upper low for a time.  That is why we see those wacky outcomes.  If there was any cold at all this would be a big snowstorm because the surface low would stay to the southeast of the upper low along the boundary.  We are left praying for some 1/100 perfect upper low to track under us and have an amplified enough system to create its own cold air...how often does that work.  More for you than DC I guess...but its the larger picture that is the real problem imo not the micro level issues with the H5 track.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I am SHOCKED the CFS didn't work out, it's always so reliable.  

It can't forecast the MJO , or the month ahead weather, and some people really have faith in  it.    

There was a study bluewave posted in the Fall about the behavior of the MJO,  avoiding the cold phases and spending more time, at a higher amp in the warmer phases.  This has been going on for a while.  

9 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

What is messing this up in the broader sense is the longwave pattern.   The upper low is stuck under blocking in canada yes... and that forces a south track of that feature (considering where it starts out) and that is why a ridge near Hudson Bay can sometimes work for us with a crappy background state... but in this case the wall to wall lower heights all across from AK to the NAO is blasting warm air across the continent.  The problem isnt really the upper low.  I guess it is if you were hoping to salvage any frozen in spite of the fact the antecendent airmass is a rotting POS.  Then yea...the only way was to get a damn perfect H5 track and a bombing surface low to our east.  But that is so rare.  The real problem is the surface low is going to try to seek out the baroclinic zone and that is way way way north.  So even with a pretty ok upper track the surface low is going to cut, on some runs it even ends up NW of the upper low for a time.  That is why we see those wacky outcomes.  If there was any cold at all this would be a big snowstorm because the surface low would stay to the southeast of the upper low along the boundary.  We are left praying for some 1/100 perfect upper low to track under us and have an amplified enough system to create its own cold air...how often does that work.  More for you than DC I guess...but its the larger picture that is the real problem imo not the micro level issues with the H5 track.  

Tried to explain that in my other forum this morning.  With marginal and retreating antecedent cold....were cooked. 

Only winners would be elevation and max precip areas that are close enough to having column cool during best precip.  The rest of us its the occasional spoonful of mashed taters at best.  Boy i wanna be wrong on this one, cause we are starting to hear the tic toc of the winter clock.  

i think most would agree that winter is over but it dosent mean we can still fish for a snowstorm. Some really bad winters with one really good snow

even the worst winter of all time until this one--2001-2002 had a big snowstorm for Norfolk VA and southern states. Like a foot...i think we got a 3 inch snowfall later a few weeks later

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Very informative 

9 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Tried to explain that in my other forum this morning.  With marginal and retreating antecedent cold....were cooked. 

Only winners would be elevation and max precip areas that are close enough to having column cool during best precip.  The rest of us its the occasional spoonful of mashed taters at best.  Boy i wanna be wrong on this one, cause we are starting to hear the tic toc of the winter clock.  

Yep...and I would hate for these last two weeks of January to be our last shot. Because even in these two lweeks things look difficult! And ya talk about February not looking to start off too well right now? Mercy...we just gotta hope for either a miracle with this weekend or next, or that we can get a small window we manage to score in next month. (Or a March miracle, lol)

6 minutes ago, Ji said:

it actually made some progress from 00z for western maryland i think

6 minutes ago, Ji said:

it actually made some progress from 00z for western maryland i think

From what I see it took a big step back. Looks like rain from snowshoe up through wisp until the upslope event follows the system.

1 hour ago, Chris78 said:

Thats the beginning of the period Ralph Wiggum is toughting

Not concerned with the ops but the ens continue to promote ridging in the N atl near the NAO. But some are saying it isnt a real ridge and just higher transient heights that likely wont mean anything. But if you loop the last 3 weeks+ into that period you can see the center of a ridge signal progressing into the NAO. Any time the means show ridging in the area and are in agreement warrants at least one raised eyebrow especially given this winter. I'm optimistic. Why not?

• Like 1

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

Not concerned with the ops but the ens continue to promote ridging in the N atl near the NAO. But some are saying it isnt a real ridge and just higher transient heights that likely wont mean anything. But if you loop the last 3 weeks+ into that period you can see the center of a ridge signal progressing into the NAO. Any time the means show ridging in the area and are in agreement warrants at least one raised eyebrow especially given this winter. I'm optimistic. Why not?

The ridging I see is mostly south of the NAO domain. 

• Weenie 1

41 minutes ago, Ji said:

i think most would agree that winter is over but it dosent mean we can still fish for a snowstorm. Some really bad winters with one really good snow

even the worst winter of all time until this one--2001-2002 had a big snowstorm for Norfolk VA and southern states. Like a foot...i think we got a 3 inch snowfall later a few weeks later

I dont think a single person here would object to one Feb 1983 type hit before the season ends. Well, most people anyway. :whistle:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I thought just S of Greenland and the mouth of Baffin Sea was considered the NA and in fact part of the NAO region?

It might encroach the southern edge of the NAO domain some...but its not the kind of look that will influence the pattern the way we need.  A better sign is the guidance ejecting the AK vortex...although todays GEFS seems to take a "step back" on that.  I don't care about the blue over us if there is still a AK and Greenland Vortex combo...it will not be cold enough in all likelihood regardless of a day 15 look.  

This is a composite of warning level snowfalls at BWI with a somewhat similar Pac look to this year.  Notice where we need the ridging in the NAO region to be.  

PacRidgeSnows.gif.2ad47d960f0ae0068a7e10cd4cdfc7f9.gif.83926725d6a0884e58603af61b181515.gif

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It might encroach the southern edge of the NAO domain some...but its not the kind of look that will influence the pattern the way we need.  A better sign is the guidance ejecting the AK vortex...although todays GEFS seems to take a "step back" on that.  I don't care about the blue over us if there is still a AK and Greenland Vortex combo...it will not be cold enough in all likelihood regardless of a day 15 look.  

This is a composite of warning level snowfalls at BWI with a somewhat similar Pac look to this year.  Notice where we need the ridging in the NAO region to be.  

PacRidgeSnows.gif.2ad47d960f0ae0068a7e10cd4cdfc7f9.gif.83926725d6a0884e58603af61b181515.gif

were beyond blue baby--we are in the greens.

image.png.3b87cbec44440f04216877b35fe0f20c.png