Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid January/Mid February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

Yeah, it actually did make a move toward the Euro.  But that's probably going to be the final position, with our luck. 

it gets the vort on top of us . At 18z it was over PA. Get it south another 150 miles or so and we might have a fighting chance. 

Good vort passes can do crazy things during prime climo lol

• Like 2

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

This thing is crazy. Anybody check out the progression on the ICON? Ever see a low go from East TN to Chicago?

Of course, happens all the time.

But seriously...it's probably going to rain, but this one has me interested in a masochistic sort of way.   It's going to fail, but it really is kinda interesting.

Of course, happens all the time.
But seriously...it's probably going to rain, but this one has me interested in a masochistic sort of way.   It's going to fail, but it really is kinda interesting.
It's a no stress storm. Its not like its going to take snow away from us lol
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, jaydreb said:

Here’s the @Bob Chill storm.  

2AC68FDD-1412-4D98-974E-01FA904A1974.png

And now ladies and gentlemen we have a battle of two storms. In one corner, we have the totally wacky, really wonky, surprise snow 20th anniversary... @Ji storrrrrm! And in the other, ya got the fantasy land, Miller A cleeeeeean coastal... @Bob Chill storrrm!! Which will win? Will it be a draw? (as in either both snow or both bust) Showdown!!

P.S. I think I'll bet imaginary money on the wonky storm! Teeam wonk! :D (but obviously I'll take either!)

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Mersky said:

The Bob Chill storm just showed up on the euro 

5AF7DBAE-C122-41F9-A5F8-C8DFAED38037.png

Hm...looks like we got two swings coming up, then! (that is, if we are still seeing this a few days from now). One is a knuckle ball, and the other may just be a fastball...can we homer on one or both? :D (But seriously, given all the uncertainty about February, I sure hope we can take advantage of at least one of these!)

I got a feeling we are going to rebound back to a good look soon...still watching next weekend lol
Looks like we got some tracking. The chill storm looks promising. The weekend storm is a matter of a super lucky placement of that 500mb low

About 20 percent of 0z WBEPS members show snow for the far Northwest  suburbs... let’s see if this is the start of a trend or a blip.

28 minutes ago, Ji said:
On 1/19/2020 at 12:42 AM, Ji said:
I got a feeling we are going to rebound back to a good look soon...still watching next weekend lol

Looks like we got some tracking. The chill storm looks promising. The weekend storm is a matter of a super lucky placement of that 500mb 

Here's some thoughts from an amateur...

The 6z gfs has the HPC above the lakes and pressing slightly more. It is 2 mb stronger thus allowing more cold air to work into this system. It also causes the primary to be considerably southeast which allows for a more favorable transfer closer to the coast. It's not there yet, though. Having the primary running through eastern Kentucky instead of western would be the difference between the transferred low running inland verses closer to the coast. We need that HPC to press more in future runs. This is beginning to look like it has some potential for areas north and west with some elevation. 

Pretty good agreement beginning to show up on the GEFS for LPC placement at hr 138. Notice the four eastern outliers in the Atlantic. That's our hope. We want to see more of the LPC in the Atlantic not overtop of us in future runs. The optimist/weenie would say that there's plenty of time to get a slight shift east.  All we need is about a 100-150 mile shift east in 6 days to put areas west of the bay in play. It could always go the other way though. 

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_eus_24.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MD Snow said:

Here's some thoughts from an amateur...

The 6z gfs has the HPC above the lakes and pressing slightly more. It is 2 mb stronger thus allowing more cold air to work into this system. It also causes the primary to be considerably southeast which allows for a more favorable transfer closer to the coast. It's not there yet, though. Having the primary running through eastern Kentucky instead of western would be the difference between the transferred low running inland verses closer to the coast. We need that HPC to press more in future runs. This is beginning to look like it has some potential for areas north and west with some elevation. 

Pretty good agreement beginning to show up on the GEFS for LPC placement at hr 138. Notice the four eastern outliers in the Atlantic. That's our hope. We want to see more of the LPC in the Atlantic not overtop of us in future runs. The optimist/weenie would say that there's plenty of time to get a slight shift east.  All we need is about a 100-150 mile shift east in 6 days to put areas west of the bay in play. It could always go the other way though. 

gfs-ememb_lowlocs_eus_24.png

Nice write-up. It's probably closer to five days. I like the fact that it didn't take the GFS too much time to get on board with the EURO. If this storm were to transfer off the coast, could it bomb out and be more likely to draw in more cold air?

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Positive trends in the Eps overnight. 

850s 

Bottom ( 24hr total precip )

PhotoPictureResizer_200120_074448618_crop_1405x1183.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_200120_074515247_crop_1411x1175.jpg

Definitely an uptick of snowy solutions.  This is Dulles.  Even an uptick towards DCA but this was very noticeable.

EF4497A7-3236-4AAE-9E2F-A76E4A4D0801.png

its not a great winter pattern nor is is cold pattern but its probably not a shutout pattern either moving ahead. it is mindboggling how we dont get blocking...ever. Look at how the NAO was negative all Fall and as soon as Dec 1 hit--it just knew! and it has never looked back

nao.sprd2.gif

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_55.png

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, stormtracker said:

That's a hell of a set up.  I hope Bob checks the board before it's gone in 12 hours. 

Eps still has it but increased the spread instead of tightening. I could be looking past an event this weekend though. It's as dicey as they come and my gut says absolutely no way but I'm rooting bigly to bust huge.