Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC Forum coverage area and winter topic guide

wdrag

Hello to all and the Moderators especially,  

I need a little guidance.  

Have checked forum coverage areas.  Don't see a map (or I missed a link).  In any case,  can someone define the western and northern fringe counties of our coverage area. Can I presume north of I78 out to the Delaware River... do we extend into Pike, Monroe and Northampton Counties in PA?  Also the north fringe...is that bounded by I84 or is that too far north?  I presume no CT coverage but all of LI is covered.  A little more clarity will help guide me on any topics. 

I also noticed some participants might not want to know of any NYC snow amount topics under 1".  Is there any guideline for topic starter?  Have started topics, when confident that there will be a wintry type hazard, even if I80 south including LI is out of it.  Maybe thats too liberal and I should limit to when I think even NYC might get 1+"?

Thank you kindly for American Weather Forum consensus advice. 

Walt Drag

351PM/17

Mr. Walt Drag,

Thank you for your participation in this forum.   Given your sterling reputation with the NWS, it seems that our forum could and should benefit from your guidance.  My hunch is that ongoing climate change will prod experts to re-draw these micro-climates after a handful of decades no matter how we draw them now.

With sincere thanks for your participation,

Winterymix

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2020 at 3:51 PM, wdrag said:

Have checked forum coverage areas.  Don't see a map (or I missed a link).  In any case,  can someone define the western and northern fringe counties of our coverage area. Can I presume north of I78 out to the Delaware River... do we extend into Pike, Monroe and Northampton Counties in PA?  Also the north fringe...is that bounded by I84 or is that too far north?  I presume no CT coverage but all of LI is covered.  A little more clarity will help guide me on any topics. 

I also noticed some participants might not want to know of any NYC snow amount topics under 1".  Is there any guideline for topic starter?  Have started topics, when confident that there will be a wintry type hazard, even if I80 south including LI is out of it.  Maybe thats too liberal and I should limit to when I think even NYC might get 1+"?

Walt Drag

351PM/17

IMO, the boundaries you suggest are good. In fact, there are some people who live in Pike County but commute to NYC despite the distance.

Also, I think a fuller discussion, even when New York City is likely to receive less than an inch of snow is better than a more limited one. I hope you continue posting as you currently post. The discussions are invaluable.

• Thanks 1

Walt Drag

351PM

84 Definitely not to far north. There's a lot of  posters in the NYC forum 20-30 miles north of 84 in the HV. Also there are probably more SWCT posters there than in the New England forum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Walt Drag

351PM/17

Start any topic you would like.  It's a pleasure to have you posting.   

As for your other question, this map works.

717368449_New_York_Metropolitan_Area_Counties_Illustration(1).thumb.png.7fab6544d5cbddb9b665416dd4e1730e.png

You can also add Monroe and North Hampton Counties in PA as well. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

84 Definitely not to far north. There's a lot of  posters in the NYC forum 20-30 miles north of 84 in the HV. Also there are probably more SWCT posters there than in the New England forum.

Agreed, the NYC subforum is the most natural fit for folks up to POU and beyond. The Upstate NY/PA subforum is a whole different world... as far as I'm concerned it may as well be the Tennessee Valley. In some events I can get away with slumming it with the NE crowd, as I'm only about 10 miles from the CT border, but that subforum already covers such a wide array of climates and geographies that it seems kind of unfair to tug at the borders even further.

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

Start any topic you would like.  It's a pleasure to have you posting.   

As for your other question, this map works.

717368449_New_York_Metropolitan_Area_Counties_Illustration(1).thumb.png.7fab6544d5cbddb9b665416dd4e1730e.png

You can also add Monroe and North Hampton Counties in PA as well. 

Thanks for the map .. all replies have  and are helpful.  Much thanks to all the replies herein.  Walt

• Like 1