Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 18-19 SWFE

HoarfrostHubb

17 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

You came to the thread late but have been all over this wrt to how the dynamics could make this a more impactful system and I agree. 

The signal has been there for a while and the models are starting to handle it along with its implications 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I'd sell good ratios on any WAA SWFE style system... 7-9:1 seems to be the climo favored results from these type of events.

But this isn’t a typical SWFE. I want to start building up a database of events so only have memory to go by but when you look or think back at previous SWFE’s which have over performed one glaring thing in common was how cold the air mass is ahead of it.

it’s not like we’re toasting the mid levels here...it’s pretty damn cold when the best forcing/precip arrive. 

The question is just do we have enough lift into the DGZ to maximize snow ratios...that’s the only question here...nothing thermal profile related.

I don’t have my laptop fired up to see what 18z GFS Bufkit shows but 12z Bufkit at BDL had decent lift into the SGZ. 

if that verifies we get a 3-HR period of 1.5-2”/HR rates or so.  The majority of this snow will be fluff

Pretty meh from BOX (below).  GYX now has me all snow (plus they're calling for 4-7 tonight) ftw.

Saturday
Snow likely, mainly after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Saturday Night
Rain and snow, becoming all rain after midnight, then gradually ending. Low around 27. South wind 7 to 9 mph becoming southwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

There's actually a pretty good crosshair sig on the GFS but it's still 72-84 hours out.

Can't see euro omega but the temps in the 600mb range are pretty nice which is often where that initial burst of lift is. 

So it's possible we get some nice ratios but I'd be careful about counting on ratios this far out. I typically never forecast high ratios unless it's slam dunk and inside 36 hours or so.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There's actually a pretty good crosshair sig on the GFS but it's still 72-84 hours out.

Can't see euro omega but the temps in the 600mb range are pretty nice which is often where that initial burst of lift is. 

So it's possible we get some nice ratios but I'd be careful about counting on ratios this far out. I typically never forecast high ratios unless it's slam dunk and inside 36 hours or so.  

Here is Euro Omega (700) at 00z Sunday

Jan 15 omega.png

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s certainly possible... there is a very cold air mass in front of it.  I always worry the best lift will be below the DGZ in these events with a primary low back to the west, ripping mid level WAA further north than expected.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s certainly possible... there is a very cold air mass in front of it.  I always worry the best lift will be below the DGZ in these events with a primary low back to the west, ripping mid level WAA further north than expected.

When NYC is initially in the ball game oftentimes we start off cold enough for good ratios (15:1) and then transition to the crappier 9:1. The problem is the higher density snow on top can ruin your fluff a bit whereas fluff just floats on top of a dense base. You just have to think of the ratios almost as another level of ptype transition zones...i.e. fluff > normal snow > dense sugar > sleet > frz rain > rain. I find I tend to be near 0F at the sfc up here at the onset to pull off a period of fluff in a SWFE. Of course that's just my general rule of thumb...they don't all behave the same.

Pretty meh from BOX (below).  GYX now has me all snow (plus they're calling for 4-7 tonight) ftw.   Saturday Snow likely, mainly after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible. Saturday Night Rain and snow, becoming all rain after midnight, then gradually ending. Low around 27. South wind 7 to 9 mph becoming southwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
That's sucks it gonna rain in bath. Wth

17 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:
  Pretty meh from BOX (below).  GYX now has me all snow (plus they're calling for 4-7 tonight) ftw.   Saturday Snow likely, mainly after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible. Saturday Night Rain and snow, becoming all rain after midnight, then gradually ending. Low around 27. South wind 7 to 9 mph becoming southwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

That's sucks it gonna rain in bath. Wth

lol ... the forecast shown is for his home in ORH.  He be snowin' in Bath

27 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Lol, just saw the clown maps....6 inches for us, I will take it but we all know 2-4 is more realistic, unless the Nam was actually on to something?

I said a few days ago there’s been a tendency for guidance to spit out colder solutions for the 2nd event as the 1st event approaches overhead to only then tick back warmer as the 1st event departs to our NE. A net gain from d5/d6. This one could be different but I’m not buying warning snows yet... unless the warm ticking trend my weenie theorizes doesn’t occur tomorrow or Friday.