Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 18th Event

stormtracker

6 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Do you use Eastwood Co . rust incapsulator ? I've used the 2 step process for years on 80s turbo Buicks under carriages with great results. 

never tried it - and please tell me you don’t drive them in the nasty .  i know your aviator and i’ve always wanted one -   

12 minutes ago, Plow'n said:

It definitely does!! Now, some of my subs with older trucks that haven't been properly "de-salted"... trashed!! 

yup-  sorry i must get  back on topic.  

according to the amount of the good stuff put on the roads - looks like a inch of snow and .34 of rain coming saturday.  

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

What about the VV at 500 or 700 mb . Do they come into play at all ?

It all comes into play but the main driver for WAA is getting  enough mid level winds aimed at the cold over us to create lift. If the winds aren’t adequate it just slowly displaces the cold without really creating enough vertical velocity to create heavy Precip.  The mid levels are important because that’s where the snow growth zone is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

1% beet juice and sodium chloride in water.  Sodium chloride has been documented to overwhelm local qater treatment and aquifers.

Sodium chloride is what has screwed our well, and many of our neighbors. The process with the state has been a pain and it’s going to costs us thousands. The water issue was never disclosed at selling, nor is sodium chloride a regular contaminant that is checked during standard water tests. Note to future buyers on well water: spend the extra money to test your well for contaminants. Call your county’s geologist (all should have one) and see what they know about the area you’re looking at. 

*sorry for longer off topic post. NAM looks juicy, I like. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Plow'n said:

It definitely does!! Now, some of my subs with older trucks that haven't been properly "de-salted"... trashed!! 

even tho i’m in the auto repair business- my customers have no idea what they are driving their cars on,  once the juice is laid.   i have many many big estimates because of the liquid death . and when i see all the cars at the car wash waiting to be washed in acid after a snow storm -  i’m ruining my career by telling them not to drive in it and not to use a car wash.  errrr.  

worst is when the liquid dries and the wind blow the shit blows around and gets all over everything.   nasty!   and people think their sinuses are bad from pollen, lol.

i just can’t figure out why sand isn’t used like it was in the day?   

do people really need to go out after a snow storm when according to the news all the grocery stores are sold out the day before. ? i guess now days people don’t like their families.   

i know days when i was plowing days and days straight i wished i was home with my wife and kids and dog enjoying the beautiful snow, instead of sitting in the god darn truck paying the bills and admiring those who got to enjoy it.  

2 minutes ago, anotherman said:

2-4 along the M/D line? Wow.

I haven’t talked to her directly, but I don’t think she’s using the NAM at all. It’s not far fetched, if you look at euro and gfs precip amounts, .4 is all along the PA line. Her thinking, on air, is that those places hang on to the cold longer and stay snow longer. I think it’s a good forecast up here. 

11 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

So my question to the experts is whether the NAM is a red flag that the dry cold air will make this a nonevent?

It's not the dry air- that could actually help if the front end precip came in hot and heavy. If the best lift is delayed(or mostly north),  the strong warming aloft/retreating cold air mass means time is not on your side.

So do the mesoscale models have a track record of forecasting lift better than the globals?

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It's not the dry air- that could actually help if the front end precip came in hot and heavy. If the best lift is delayed(or mostly north),  the strong warming aloft/retreating cold air mass means time is not on your side.

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

GFS looked like a much more significant winter event than the Euro.

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

GFS looked like a much more significant winter event than the Euro.

EURO had less snow but more sleet and freezing rain than GFS.  The mesoscale models basically have little precipitation of any kind.

7 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

Ok, good luck with that. Enjoy your inch of slop followed by a few chilly days, then another cutter (like I said 5 days ago). 

Someone is rather salty this morning, don’t worry your cold rain will wash away your tears

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic