Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 18th Event

stormtracker

16 minutes ago, Plow'n said:

It's big time in Maine, I do know that. Our sales rep is there.

14 minutes ago, Plow'n said:

It's really a waste of money 80% of the time. If the rates are good at the onset roads cave fast and in my opinion the snow then acts like an insulator and flash freezes underneath causing more of an issue. It's a gimmick 

Great sales pitch.

53 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Ok, so honest question probably showing my ignorance, but how is that harmful to the bay?

1 hour ago, leesburg 04 said:

Mixture of beet juice and something else

1% beet juice and sodium chloride in water.  Sodium chloride has been documented to overwhelm local qater treatment and aquifers.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Ok, so honest question probably showing my ignorance, but how is that harmful to the bay?

Very. But it’s more about how much harm all of it doing to freshwater supplies. It’s becoming a problem for treated water systems. 

5 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Really hard to put faith in anything NAM, but it did shift heavier precip south not so much here, but to the west which might imply a faster push of heavier precip before the temps are gone. I don’t know, this storm is very frustrating .

Also keeps the areas near @losetoa6 below freezing until early hours of Sunday. 

3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Yea ..3k is the coldest run yet and history sides with it imo. A 1040+ high going in ...and its January...and CADs our bread and butter. Favored areas almost certainly won't hit freezing until well after the last of the moisture is gone . 

Yep, gotta side with climo with this CAD setup. You’ll stay below freezing for the duration, “warm” up for a few hours into the low to mid 30s, before the cold arrives again Sunday AM. 

3k keeps me at Deep Creek below 32 until mid afternoon Saturday with about 0.6” as frozen QPF.   While I’d love all snow, these mix events are kinda fun. At least it’ll feel like winter!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Noticeably weaker low depicted by both Nams .

I believe this allows the southern movement of the "accumulations" that we see on the TT maps... i know they are garbage in these types of situations, but you can see the clear south push comparing the 18z runs to the 00z runs on both the 00z NAM and the 00z 3km NAM

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Here's the 12k nam qpf . Its juicy for central Md 

qpf_acc.us_ma.png

If this were to hold ...I'm curious to see what NWS would do ...WSW ? 1-3" snow followed by .25" + ice potential.  

Had the same thought re: watch/warning vs advisory. Still think they go with Advisory given the uncertainty. But I could see a watch initially for the favored areas and see if there is consensus for warning. 

2 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Do they do this stuff in snowier locations? Like New England?

the did years ago in minnesota until they found out it was killing all their pine trees.  -  btw i hate pine trees. but i can’t stand what i’m seeing this liquid shit they spread on the roads. 

i’ve been in the gastation auto repair all my life.   look up and study rfg gasoline - and why every where it was served needs to be drilled to check for it’s negative effects on us.  

yeah don’t ask me because i already know the negative effects it had on me.   1990s save the world rfg.  yup. just like the beet ****ing joke. i mean juice.  

Sorry but I have to laugh, people complaining about salt on their cars but they love snow?? Just seems like they go hand and hand.. if you pressure wash your car, frame, engine etc. you're good to go. Not that big of deal, if you're upset because you feel your local govt is wasting money thank insurance companies. 

• Like 2

Just now, losetoa6 said:

There's no doubt the flow looks a bit flatter over us on Saturday per Nams . This surely has directed a bit more juice in our direction. 

We all need more juice.  NAM loves the juice. I love the juice too! What to believe!?  I dunno. I’ll just drink my Other Half Brewing DIPAS and wait for the GooFuS. :drunk:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

@psuhoffman mentioned earlier about the mid level winds direction and u can clearly see the trajectory is much better this run .

12k nam

PhotoPictureResizer_200116_220548552_crop_1204x2040.jpg

Been watching this, certainly not the quality look we were getting earlier in the week but things have been trending flatter/more flow up front pretty consistently. Here's the euro and nam over the past 48 hours.

b2504634-c785-456f-b7fc-e691591a73c3.gif

a0c16954-3fa3-43db-8fe7-8209ebfa864f.gif

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Plow'n said:

Sorry but I have to laugh, people complaining about salt on their cars but they love snow?? Just seems like they go hand and hand.. if you pressure wash your car, frame, engine etc. you're good to go. Not that big of deal, if you're upset because you feel your local govt is wasting money thank insurance companies. 

lol i agree with you-   but when i was plowing i’d rather not have everybody thinking the could voyage out and get in the way.

plus if your really plowing you know what i’m talking about - you going to tell me your expenses haven’t gone up since the liquid stuff. ie rust brake line etc?   if not you must be rolling on the county’s dime?

Just now, motsco said:

lol i agree with you-   but when i was plowing i’d rather not have everybody thinking the could voyage out and get in the way.

plus if your really plowing you know what i’m talking about - you going to tell me your expenses haven’t gone up since the liquid stuff. ie rust brake line etc?   if not you must me rolling on the county’s dime?

I try to off load all trucks after 5 years of service for many reasons but I will say 12 cans of under coat, wd 40 and a pressure washer go along way. My guys hate me after working countless straight hours and then pressure washing and oiling plows speaders etc but there is no money in snow removal if your constantly repairing stuff. I don't plow for the county or state, my snow and ice management services are scattered through Howard and carroll county, all private businesses and hoa's.

Just now, Plow'n said:

I try to off load all trucks after 5 years of service for many reasons but I will say 12 cans of under coat, wd 40 and a pressure washer go along way. My guys hate me after working countless straight hours and then pressure washing and oiling plows speaders etc but there is no money in snow removal if your constantly repairing stuff. I don't plow for the county or state, my snow and ice management services are scattered through Howard and carroll county, all private businesses and hoa's.

not a advertisement but. fluid film.  it works.  

14 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

@psuhoffman mentioned earlier about the mid level winds direction and u can clearly see the trajectory is much better this run .

12k nam

43FB75AA-6740-4ABA-9764-C8CB279CF27B.thumb.jpeg.9cd8821e331e9c3f04c6cc366c22f9a8.jpeg

the main mid level flow is still aimed NW. No getting that back.  But that kink on the nam also associated with a little lead wave of vorticity is what’s responsible. It’s thete on the other guidance too but not nearly as distinct.  That could save us from a blah event. Or the nam is just being the NAM. 

• Thanks 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic