Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 18th Event

stormtracker

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

NE Md gets the goods this run . Decent qpf ne Md as well. 

Edit

A few inches of snow  it appears  up that way .

looking at temps. we stay cold until 21z. 850 is at 0 by then. so maybe we can hang on to the temps and score a couple inches. precip is .4 for us by 21z

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Gfs is actually pretty thumpy. Especially for C and NE MD. 

Yeah, far cry from what we saw at the beginning of the week but the precip gets a bit more out front and covers the region more fully. Still mostly not snow but better than nothing.

Also, 06z Euro showed a brief transition back to snow for NW MD after the mix/sleet/freezing precipitation. Maybe if we can get cold enough we can trend more that way and recover some more snowfall from the other precip types later on in the event. Probably won’t help in Baltimore but there aren’t many other things giving me hope!

5 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Well at least there’s a glimmer of hope with the gfs trends. All I would like is enough white that can survive the day and have a little covering heading into colder temps next week.

Looking at h5, the trough is just a tad flatter, and the downstream ridge is slightly less amped. Seems to be the difference this run, and allows a bit more of a thump further south. Maybe a mini trend as game time approaches? :weenie:

• Weenie 3

19 minutes ago, H2O said:

I liked the GFS from when it had the most snow.  But then the models remembered that its not supposed to snow this winter per Ji

lol 

11 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

It's not even really worth the chase I was considering - have to drive almost to NY to get to decent snow. This winter kinda does blow at this point.

its been a sad year, that is for sure. but any wintry stuff is good! 

3 minutes ago, CentralVaNATS said:

Can we just stick a fork in this thread? Maybe models will trend in the right direction, but let's just move on to Jan 24th, start that thread.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

no

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't get you people.  Yes, this storm isn't going to be a lot.  Yes, it was better a few days ago.  But some people in our area WILL see some frozen stuff so it matters to them.

You don't like it?  Dont post.

I'll take whatever falls.  Right now its small differences on each model but the consensus is there. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

I don't get you people.  Yes, this storm isn't going to be a lot.  Yes, it was better a few days ago.  But some people in our area WILL see some frozen stuff so it matters to them.

You don't like it?  Dont post.

I'll take whatever falls.  Right now its small differences on each model but the consensus is there. 

i often forget how DC centric this subforum is. If the majority of I-95 aren't seeing snow, they could care less. 

meanwhile, even the euro gives me some snow. suck it haters. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7
  • Weenie 2

Models don’t matter. A moderate to strong low like  that will send waa moisture our way. They almost always do and it’s the wrong idea from the models that it won't this time.  What that means afterward I can’t say but there will be a fast onset of snow/sleet for DC of steady-moderate duration and intensity and then what happens next is what happens next 

16 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Models don’t matter. A moderate to strong low like  that will send waa moisture our way. They almost always do and it’s the wrong idea from the models that it won't this time.  What that means afterward I can’t say but there will be a fast onset of snow/sleet for DC of steady-moderate duration and intensity and then what happens next is what happens next 

But if the models don’t matter, then why assume the low will be as strong as modeled?

I assume you mean that their depiction of WAA precip doesn’t matter because they often have trouble with it. Just trying to clarify.

39 minutes ago, CentralVaNATS said:

Can we just stick a fork in this thread? Maybe models will trend in the right direction, but let's just move on to Jan 24th, start that thread.

no. That thread doesn't get started until Jan 22nd because any earlier then we may as well just have this thread on repeat.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic