Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 18th Event

stormtracker

4 minutes ago, H2O said:

Given how the last storm went, I’d be fine with this trending further south all week. That ensures cold temps get in and stay in

You an I suffered through some rain on 40 degree soil last storm. Not this time it appears. We might even tally up some snowcover days if everything glaciates. Getting ahead of ourselves with that talk tho

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

We might even tally up some snowcover days if everything glaciates.

It does look pretty cold, after the fact next weekend, and it looks like a fast mover with some very cold air so any melted snow will freeze over. It won't be long before it snows again.

2 hours ago, HighStakes said:

During the last hour or two of last weeks snow there was some really good high ratio stuff. Really nice dendrites falling up here at 30 degrees. Snow piled up quick. 

Can confirm. Was awesome. 

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Mean QPF on the 18z gefs for the event is the juiciest I've seen yet. 

cEH1BbR.png

Yesssss, love it. I hope all cashes in, me just a tad more

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

18z eps not impressive and a little worse than 12z. Still high chance of some snow but nothing like the gfs/gefs. Couple inches tops for the most part. 

18z eps also followed the slower trend. It negates the positive of colder/stronger high leading in. 

That trough deepens any more it’s gonna pop enough ridging that this is gonna cut to Minnesota.

If there’s anything I’m gonna be hoping for as I watch the 500 come in on the 0z runs its going to be for a much flatter look mid continent.  I certainly am not being a deb but I don’t think there’s been anything positive about the last 8 hours of runs ... Euro and gfs.

4 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

That trough deepens any more it’s gonna pop enough ridging that this is gonna cut to Minnesota.

If there’s anything I’m gonna be hoping for as I watch the 500 come in on the 0z runs its going to be for a much flatter look mid continent.  I certainly am not being a deb but I don’t think there’s been anything positive about the last 8 hours of runs ... Euro and gfs.

The CAD has been a lot better on runs today but yeah it doesn’t matter if it’s gonna significantly slow down and cut more. I’m not gonna sweat it quite yet 

5 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I thought the GFS/GEFS were pretty good at 12z and 18z

7 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

You smartly noticed that earlier today IIRC which was a good call & key feature to pay attention to.  The slower onset really isn’t helping us....although these tend to come in quicker than modeled so there’s that.  

4 minutes ago, yoda said:

I thought the GFS/GEFS were pretty good at 12z and 18z

The trend though is a deeper trough and more ridging. That’s why the low went north at 18z.

However this is the second time the models have done this with this storm. Last time it reversed itself for a few runs. Long way to go. Nothing to worry about or get excited about at this point imo.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

The gfs and euro are pretty similar wrt to the major h5 features but the euro is 5mb deeper in the Midwest with the surface low. The amplification slows the system and pulls it north. Wrt to everything else they are fairly similar for that range. 

• Like 1

The Stages of model hugging...

1) Excitement that a major storm is coming and the celebration begins with thoughts of shoveling and hot cocoa 

2) One model run flips to a wet and not white scenario - depression sets in.

3) Night model run comes in with a sweet hit and we all go to bed like Santa is arriving in the morning.

4) Wake-up in the morning and the storm vanishes

5) Afternoon model runs show a Southern tracker - everyone is pissed off.

6) The storm vanishes all together and on to the next storm.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Hopefully recent  history of systems being over amped across guidance will continue.  I know there's been a couple in the past few weeks . Every setup is different but that's been the trend 

Yeah but this past weekends system pretty much trended much slower and more amped over time, no? So that one kind of broke the mold. I know the game Saturday night was expected to possibly contain rain but obviously ended up dry 

We’re still at a range where these shifts are noise. Only feels significant because we are on thin ice in west track scenarios needing everything to go right. But if we were in Binghamton NY the last few runs probably seem nearly identical.  And it’s only the euro that trended north not all guidance. Lot of time  

19 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Yeah but this past weekends system pretty much trended much slower and more amped over time, no? So that one kind of broke the mold. I know the game Saturday night was expected to possibly contain rain but obviously ended up dry 

When did it trend slower/Amped?  Euro has tended to be over amped about day 4-6. Then sometimes over corrects and trends slightly more amped again in the short range. I’ve noticed that cycle several times the last couple years. 

• Like 2

Just now, psuhoffman said:

When did it trend slower/Amped?  Euro has tended to be over amped about day 4-6. Then sometimes over corrects and trends slightly more amped again in the short range. I’ve noticed that cycle several times the last couple years. 

I’m just saying in general...models earlier in the week last week seemed a little more flat and getting overrunning rain in here that was going to effect the game this past Saturday night. But it ended up slowing down and amping a bit more and we were left dry 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

We’re still at a range where these shifts are noise. Only feels significant because we are on thin ice in west track scenarios needing everything to go right. But if we were in Binghamton NY the last few runs probably seem nearly identical.  And it’s only the euro that trended north not all guidance. Lot of time  

Past history has tended to show that when the Euro remains stubborn, the other models eventually cave to it. Not scientific, just a gut feel thing around here.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic