Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE/CNE Snow Special Thursday 01/16

dryslot

Just now, Bostonseminole said:
With a daily total of 76.2 cm on January 17, 2020, a new all-time record has been established for the most snow in one day at St. John's International Airport. http://ow.ly/at6s50xYPF5 #NLwx #YYT

caveat is that this is 1 day total, that 99 storm was a bit more over 2 days I guess

Highest total was mt pearl cocorahs at 36.7". 
I got to walk into work at 1pm local since the state of emergency is still on and my other coworker can't drive in. 

That is the exact total of White Juan at CYAW. 95.5cms. Strange coincidence. You got bigger drifts but the pics of the streets with 24-30” level are very familiar.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hazey said:

That is the exact total of White Juan at CYAW. 95.5cms. Strange coincidence. You got bigger drifts but the pics of the streets with 24-30” level are very familiar.

Right. I mean the big blizzard generally top out in that range everywhere. Theres a limit to how much a single storm can produce especially at sea level. The 20" on the ground before the storm makes it worse. Mt pearl is reporting 54" depth.  

2 hours ago, Hazey said:

You guys had it rough that year with Hurricane Juan and White Juan. Wonder what they will call this storm in NL. 

Looking at those pictures reminded me that during the '78 Blizzard, we didn't really hurry to shovel our driveways b/c there was no place to drive! My parents neighborhood basically just went home to home and shoveled each other out. I was a freshman in high school. Somewhere in the vicinity of two weeks off - it was all-time awesomeness. some of the video posted last night was crazy.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

Lol really well...

In all seriousness they're searching for a kid who left during the blizzard to go to his friends out in the bay and they can't find him. 

Oh crap.  Very reminiscent of a story from the 1978 Blizzard here

https://www.thesunchronicle.com/opinion/columns/mike-kirby-you-shoulda-seen-the-blizzard-of/article_952e91f7-31fa-5271-ba19-2ca495f62132.html