Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE/CNE Snow Special Thursday 01/16

dryslot

1 minute ago, Lava Rock said:

lol, I must be tired. I thought this was the Sat thread. And here you were suggesting someone start a separate thread for this event, but I thought it was for Sat.

Ha, No, too early for that one on saturday i can't say i don't like it too.

11 minutes ago, gonegalt said:

Gonna be a busy week up here. Snowing again now <1".  2" more tomorrow then Thursday's storm and then, Saturday's.

These storms need to pan out for lower ME- all their sledders are here until then!

You might have a couple from VT if they don't pan out farther west.  I'm thinking of the open weekend in a couple of weeks.

19 minutes ago, gonegalt said:

Do it anyway. You'll get your snow but you gotta see these trails and fields here. I'm talking way up Maine in Aroostook County.

Moved here from Sugarloaf because there wasn't enough snow there.

There's always enough here.

Nice to have a fellow Northerner on the boards. Welcome. The County never disappoints in the sledding dept.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gonegalt said:

Do it anyway. You'll get your snow but you gotta see these trails and fields here. I'm talking way up Maine in Aroostook County.

County is never disappointing, I like riding the portage side one day and east to the border cut the next, Lunch at Lakeview, Dinner at the sporting club.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, gonegalt said:

I'll be there this coming  Long weekend...Can't wait!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Congrats, I would hate to see it snow elsewhere, because you guys living in CNE and NNE never get enough snow.

Currently on Kevin W's snow table, by state:

Top 10:  VT 4, MA 4, NH 2
Top 20:  VT 4, MA 8, NH 6, ME 2 (including #20)
Some of that is numbers of participants (are there more than 4 from VT?) but it still has an "anti-climo" look.

A 6-8" dump would be very nice and some current models show that and more, but we know the bullseye will move around run to run. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, gonegalt said:

Super to see someone from the County - been 6 years or more since N. Maine was represented.

I don't own a sled and only ride as part of work, and usually not that far.  The exception was 14 years ago in mid-March and trails weren't all that great, with scant snow after the 25-35" post-Christmas dump.  We rode Ft. Kent-Eagle Lake-Deboullie one day and down to Perham (Salmon Brook Lake) the next and had decent snow for day 1 (except crossing Lakes - puddles up to 4"deep on Eagle, slush under skinny snow on Deboullie) but real scratchy on day 2.  A few weeks earlier some fellow from Corpus Christi contacted the manager of Aroostook Sate Park about snow conditions and was told to head for the St. John Valley.  Ironic that a guy from south Texas hears there's crummy snow in N. Maine in February.

6 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Over your way probably but were looking at maybe 0.10" if that over the next couple days as it stands right now so most of 98% of that is Thurs.

It had a decent 0.1-0.25" over areas of GYX's area.  Maybe not your house per se but there's some earlier QPF there, even 0.30" for the Whites Tuesday night.  It had 0.17" at IZG, 0.18" to 0.20" PWM, etc. 

I was just saying you can take a tenth or two off it for earlier.  No big deal. 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

It had a decent 0.1-0.25" over areas of GYX's area.  Maybe not your house per se but there's some earlier QPF there, even 0.30" for the Whites Tuesday night.  It had 0.17" at IZG, 0.15" PWM, etc. 

I was just saying you can take a tenth or two off it for earlier.  No big deal.

I was basing off the 3k Nam, What had fallen on there was before thursday.

Just now, dryslot said:

I was basing off the 3k Nam, What had fallen on there was before thursday.

Ahhh I was looking at the 12km NAM.  It looks like it even has 0.18-0.20" in the GYX/PWM area prior to Thursday's event. 

I think the QPF might be too high on that earlier event on Tuesday night. 

Just now, dryslot said:

Kind of a showery look too.

Yeah only had 0.12" at MVL vs. 0.26" on the 12km.  Same down your way where the 3km had 0.06" vs. 0.13" for LEW. 

I'm more inclined to believe those lesser amounts and it looks similar to today with either -SN or -FZDZ with pretty shitty saturation in the snow growth zone.  Can always toss those 3km mountain QPFs as it's just the model going apeshit with what is really just rime ice...its like wherever the cloud level interacts with the terrain it prints obscene QPF in error.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah only had 0.12" at MVL vs. 0.26" on the 12km.  Same down your way where the 3km had 0.06" vs. 0.13" for LEW. 

I'm more inclined to believe those lesser amounts and it looks similar to today with either -SN or -FZDZ with pretty shitty saturation in the snow growth zone.  Can always toss those 3km mountain QPFs as it's just the model going apeshit with what is really just rime ice...its like wherever the cloud level interacts with the terrain it prints obscene QPF in error.

Yeah, Its a mess here today with the FZDZ, Cars off the road and accidents galore, 18z GFS not biting and keeps the best lift further north.

Unscientific but it seems there are times when it just wants to snow and now's one.

Snowed almost nightly last week before the short thaw just passed. Fcst to do the same here this week. 

Already have 2" this eve w/ more on the radar. I love nightly over performers.

And plenty of cold too. -6f last night here, samish tonight.

I like riding the Aroostook River but this year it is too thin to run in places, so far. After this week the river is open for business. PQI-CAR in 20 min!

The track at the 6Z run is progressively taking the low further north, it no longer is tracking along the water's edge of the coast but takes it along the coast on the land bringing temperatures up in some locations by a touch of a degree.  A brief 1-3 inches over southern New England as the trend seems to be further north every run as it progressively becomes a mostly rain event, even coastal Maine through the southern Maritimes are trending towards that fate at this point (though not there yet except southern Nova Scotia already is mostly rain including Hazey).

Note: 6:46 Atlantic Standard Time

Quoted Weekend Storm for Saturday January 18 to Sunday January 19, 2020

5 minutes ago, Ogmios said:

The track at the 6Z run is progressively taking the low further north, it no longer is tracking along the water's edge of the coast but takes it along the coast on the land bringing temperatures up in some locations by a touch of a degree.  A brief 1-3 inches over southern New England as the trend seems to be further north every run as it progressively becomes a mostly rain event, even coastal Maine through the southern Maritimes are trending towards that fate at this point (though not there yet).

What? Better read the other thread for weekend storm if that’s what you’re talking about 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What? Better read the other thread for weekend storm if that’s what you’re talking about 

Oops :wacko: your right this one is the weekend event that I am talking about.  This particular storm for this thread  is set to dump 4-6 inches which works out nice for me.