Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Wintry mix potential weekend of Jan 18-19, 2020

wdrag

Just now, donsutherland1 said:

According to the PNS, that measurement was taken at 7 pm. More snow had fallen since that time at BDR. Unfortunately, the snow is about to come to an end there.

Thanks. Finished with 3.75 here in Easton not too far from Bridgeport.

Enjoyed this one.

• Like 1

Starting to think that there really is something to the idea that people forget how to drive in wintry conditions when they don't happen for awhile.  For a few hours today driving was a little rough, but nothing we haven't seen 50 times in the last 20 years.  Still people were driving like idiots today.  Spinouts up and down Wantagh Parkway.  The last time we had anything rough on driving must have been in the 17/18 season.

2 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Starting to think that there really is something to the idea that people forget how to drive in wintry conditions when they don't happen for awhile.  For a few hours today driving was a little rough, but nothing we haven't seen 50 times in the last 20 years.  Still people were driving like idiots today.  Spinouts up and down Wantagh Parkway.  The last time we had anything rough on driving must have been in the 17/18 season.

November 2018? That got pretty wild.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

3 inches in Hastings on Hudson

Exactly as advertised 

And for the record, all 3 snowfalls I have measured this year have been exactly what was advertised 24 and 48 hours out

The models have been excellent this year at predicting snowfall totals

Easier to predict when the totals are always low:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

November 2018? That got pretty wild.

That was likely due to the bad forecast.  A ton of people will take off, take public transport, work from home if a snow event is forecast.  When it’s not it gets ugly because everyone goes in and then is driving in it.  12/05/03 and 1/2011 were bad too when we got those unforecast bad front ends of the storms 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

I second this. Just drove home to LI from a ski trip up at Mountain Creek in Vernon, NJ where so many of the drivers seem to suffer from delusions of invincibility.  Had a car pass me in excess of the speed limit on a snow-covered secondary road. About a mile ahead, we saw that he had gone off the road into a tree.  Several spin outs on I-80 too.

Not the night to be in a rush folks.  Not worth the risk!

Daughter's boss is from Utah. Wanted to know why it was so slow tonight. She said it was because of the snow. He said you've gotta be kidding....as putrid as the last few winters were for snow IMBY, NJ's "harsh" winters are cited as one of the big reasons people want out of here ( the taxes, congestion, foul air and water, and that Jersey charm, are also factors for sure )and yet a guy from Utah didn't even think this amount of snow would have an impact on mall traffic ( but its great for supermarkets ).

2 hours ago, jm1220 said:

I flew down to FL today (stuck 90mins extra when the snow started at JFK), so of course this was going to do well for us. ;) 

Good to see a decent event for once this winter. 

You really didn't miss much. It was still solidly in the realm of nuisance event. Some people got to 3 inches. I topped out at about 1.5. And my snow blower malfunctioned. So I'm fine if we're done with snow for awhile.

1 hour ago, SnowGoose69 said:

That was likely due to the bad forecast.  A ton of people will take off, take public transport, work from home if a snow event is forecast.  When it’s not it gets ugly because everyone goes in and then is driving in it.  12/05/03 and 1/2011 were bad too when we got those unforecast bad front ends of the storms 

Nov 2018 was 2nd worst for me, behind Jan 1987, which was the absolute worst.  Was in grad school at RU and there were literally hundreds of cars abandoned on roads all around the area, as many got stuck for 4+ hours moving just a few miles, all over CNJ.  Storm was underpredicted and hit really hard right after lunch on a Friday.  My commute home was 1/2 mile and it took 30 minutes, partly because I got out of my car a few times to help people who had spun out.  

14 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Nov 2018 was 2nd worst for me, behind Jan 1987, which was the absolute worst.  Was in grad school at RU and there were literally hundreds of cars abandoned on roads all around the area, as many got stuck for 4+ hours moving just a few miles, all over CNJ.  Storm was underpredicted and hit really hard right after lunch on a Friday.  My commute home was 1/2 mile and it took 30 minutes, partly because I got out of my car a few times to help people who had spun out.  

Jan 87 was brutal. I don't remember the forecast being for that kind of snow. It was whiteout conditions and I drove  my Chevy Monza from the Bell Towers in Piscataway back to Colonia, by following the tail lights in front of me; I knew not to get on 287 so crawled through the back roads til I got to rt 1. My brother was stuck for hours in New Brunswick he worked in the prosecutors' office. A friend abandoned his car on the GSP after digging a trapped motorist out; he walked to a hotel and slept in the lobby. The state police towed his car. It was the worst wall of snow I've ever seen, til Boxing Day, which I watched from the comfort of my couch...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

Jan 87 was brutal. I don't remember the forecast being for that kind of snow. It was whiteout conditions and I drove  my Chevy Monza from the Bell Towers in Piscataway back to Colonia, by following the tail lights in front of me; I knew not to get on 287 so crawled through the back roads til I got to rt 1. My brother was stuck for hours in New Brunswick he worked in the prosecutors' office. A friend abandoned his car on the GSP after digging a trapped motorist out; he walked to a hotel and slept in the lobby. The state police towed his car. It was the worst wall of snow I've ever seen, til Boxing Day, which I watched from the comfort of my couch...

The forecast was 1-2 changing to rain in January 87 if I remember right. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JerseyWx said:

2 inches here in Butler, what'd you end up with @rgwp96

The problem with people is that they think their vehicles are snow capable, and they very well might be, but the tires they have are complete garbage.  Most people have no idea how much tires really mean.

2.6 on my picnic table ?  What time Didi u measure ?

45 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

No I went to school anticipating 8-10". Got close to a foot. Fell in about 7 hours

I was completely oblivious in those days, focused on developing my journalism career ( something that was tough even then ) and fishing and writing about it; I had a temp job in the mailroom at AT&T; before the gig economy free lancers made do by working temp jobs. Went to work unaware of what was about to happen; 1/4 tank of gas, one of the worst cars ever built ( a 79 Monza )no boots, no shovel, no salt, no winter gear. Lucky I made it home.

• Rjay unpinned this topic