Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Wintry mix potential weekend of Jan 18-19, 2020

wdrag

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

Walt - I know you know a ton more about meteorology than I do, but I have a ton of knowledge about heat transfer/physical chemistry (PhD in chem eng'g) and I'd quibble with one point in your post.  Once there is a layer of frozen precip on the ground (and there will be) the 2M surface temp becomes largely irrelevant to whether falling snow will accumulate at the surface, since the "actual surface" is snow, which, by definition, has a maximum temp of 32F and can't ever get warmer than that (will melt at 32F).  If you're talking about bare paved surfaces (plowed or treated), then the actual surface will quickly warm to the 2M surface temp and further snow accumulations on the paved surfaces could be more difficult, unless, of course the falling snow rate exceeds the melting rate at the surface and with moderate snow or heavier, that will occur, as melting rates after dark at 33-34F should be <1/4" per hour.  

Quibble accepted...  Thanks. All i think about is IMPACT... So i definitely define paved vs grass-trees-boards when I can/have time.  In this case... shovel the walk or plow the road, it reaccumulates on untreated at these very cold air temp. Should that air temp during the day get close to 30...paved roads (darker surfaces) melt barring as you say the snowfall rates during the day..  After dark... then we lose that energy and easier to accumulate.  In any case up here at 18F... roads all covered,   but treated roads mixed wet-slight slush. 0.5" set 1P.

• Like 2

• Rjay unpinned this topic