Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Wintry mix potential weekend of Jan 18-19, 2020

wdrag

10 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Of course as soon as Upton bumps up expected totals, the NAM backs off: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=namconus&region=neus&pkg=asnowd&runtime=2020011718&fh=48

The nam has not shown the higher amounts like the Globals. The other short range guidance has bought into the global ideas but not the nams. I will be interested to see if they cave tonight or continue to forecast that warm layer. 

• Like 1

Some of the recent model runs have grown a little snowier in the NYC Metro area and surrounding region. The exception was the 12z GGEM, which had little or no measurable snow in this area. As it is an outlier, the GGEM was discounted.

My final snowfall estimates are:

Albany: 3"-6"
Binghamton: 3"-6"
Boston: 2"-4"
Bridgeport: 2"-4"
Islip: 1"-3"
New York City: 2"-4"
Newark: 2"-4"
Philadelphia: 2" or less
Poughkeepsie: 3"-6"
Scranton: 3"-6"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Of course as soon as Upton bumps up expected totals, the NAM backs off: https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=namconus&region=neus&pkg=asnowd&runtime=2020011718&fh=48

Trending snowier sans NAM....nothing like an earlier "event" this season where Upton upped totals after nailing it as a non event previously. Raised totals when it was obviously a non event. I forget the date...

Just now, BxEngine said:

Weird...doesnt seem like it backed off at all. 

7B256845-6BB8-4EFD-9EFD-081D23BA03CB.gif

The NAM has somewhat of a dry slot behind that initial finger of WAA precip.  Other models don’t really have that.  The handling of the jet dynamics could be why as I said has been pointed out in the MA forum this week.  I’ve seen models like to show that dry nose before in that spot behind that WAA finger and usually it doesn’t happen. You see the whole area tend to back build and then your shield from the main low arrives soon after.  That said I wouldn’t be too confident NYC metro sees anything over 3-4 

• Like 2

We rarely see accumulating snow in the New York City metro area with the surface low that tracks north of Chicago North of Detroit and north of Buffalo. I guess this is what a fresh injection of Artic Air can do. Dew points are pretty impressive cold right now below zero throughout the Metro -10 Southern Connecticut -5 Central Park

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The NAM has somewhat of a dry slot behind that initial finger of WAA precip.  Other models don’t really have that.  The handling of the jet dynamics could be why as I said has been pointed out in the MA forum this week.  I’ve seen models like to show that dry nose before in that spot behind that WAA finger and usually it doesn’t happen. You see the whole area tend to back build and then your shield from the main low arrives soon after.  That said I wouldn’t be too confident NYC metro sees anything over 3-4 

Very true I've seen this happen many times. 

For those talking about the NAM's performance, it was awful for the early December 'event'. Although in recent years I think it's done' quite well. 

1 hour ago, Barman49 said:

Is it just me or does Upton seem pretty aggressive with 3-4 at JFK? I know it's a light south wind but that seems a bit optimistic no?

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X605F using Tapatalk

I think 3” is too high for JFK. I’d go 1-2” there. LGA and Central Park maybe 3”. If this comes in heavy and can last a few hours before changing over, all bets are off though. It’ll really be about watching the radar and how strong the onshore wind gets tomorrow. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

Surface southerly winds inland from the coast will be light through late afternoon:

1579377600-Zee0FipoePs.png

Temperatures rise during the evening on stronger southerlies:

1579406400-gzusekvXniM.png

Yeah, I think nyc and immediate burbs have to 7-8pm before the change. Euro cut back on qpf this run which ticked accumulations down. I would like to see the nam loose that warm layer tonight at 00z. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic