Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Wintry mix potential weekend of Jan 18-19, 2020

wdrag

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

The general idea that most of the New York City Metro Area, including adjacent sections of New Jersey, will receive 1"-3" snow tomorrow (lesser amounts on Long Island, especially Suffolk County) has remained remarkably stable on the guidance. The RGEM remains a high outlier (showing > 4" in New York City). At 0z, the GGEM was a low outlier showing barely more than an inch. The 1/17 0z and 12z runs of the HREF ensemble system indicated 2"-4" across the area, including Nassau County.

Locations such as Albany, Binghamton, Poughkeepsie, and Scranton remain in line for 3"-6" snow.

Select seasonal snowfall through January 16 was:

Albany: 32.1" (5.9" above normal)
Allentown: 3.4" (7.4" below normal)
Binghamton: 31.5" (4.7" below normal)
Bridgeport: 5.7" (4.2" below normal)
Islip: 4.7" (4.7" below normal)
New York City: 2.7" (5.9" below normal)
Newark: 5.1" (4.7" below normal)
Philadelphia: 0.1" (6.5" below normal)
Scranton: 15.7" (2.2" below normal)

I feel really bad for Philly.....

Anyway I saw a map of all the storm tracks of the season and they were all north of us, with one right over us.  That kind of pattern is bad for snowfall, regardless of how 'cold' it gets in between storms.

Unlike every other event this season hitherto, this one includes a much better antecedent airmass over the local region. Thus, rather than little to nothing, I think it is possible for NYC to record 1-2" of snow tomorrow. EWR/locations immediately NW of NYC could potentially see 2-3". Southerly winds will take several hours to scour out the dense, low-level cold and low dew points.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I feel really bad for Philly.....

Anyway I saw a map of all the storm tracks of the season and they were all north of us, with one right over us.  That kind of pattern is bad for snowfall, regardless of how 'cold' it gets in between storms.

Hopefully, things will change at some point in February in terms of snowfall.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

Unlike every other event this season hitherto, this one includes a much better antecedent airmass over the local region. Thus, rather than little to nothing, I think it is possible for NYC to record 1-2" of snow tomorrow. EWR/locations immediately NW of NYC could potentially see 2-3". Southerly winds will take several hours to scour out the dense, low-level cold and low dew points.

Agree. This low level cold is no joke thanks to the 1044 high in place. This is your typical swfe climo. Driscoll bridge will be another good dividing line 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

that is still an 80s type pattern, Tom.  A true pattern change will likely take until Feb 20th to occur if you go by the normal progression of patterns like these (which take about 8 weeks to complete- it started on Dec 22, ironically the first full day of winter!)

• Like 1

SE wind may help moisten things a bit and limit virga.  That said, little more of a riming signature on this EC, too.  That has been a bit of a trend today, finding a warmer nose in the DGZ, would likely take ratios down a bit.  Think I'm gonna stick with what I had earlier, which is mostly a coating-2" city, LI and 2-4" N and W as well as CT.  Further up the HV and into northern CT is where you get your 3-6" stuff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

Agree. This low level cold is no joke thanks to the 1044 high in place. This is your typical swfe climo. Driscoll bridge will be another good dividing line 

Agree as well. Hopefully, we can pick up an inch or two here in Monmouth County. Unfortunately, temperatures here likely rise to 40F after the snow ends, otherwise, we could have maintained that little bit of snow on the ground for several days, given the colder temperatures next week.

56 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

that is still an 80s type pattern, Tom.  A true pattern change will likely take until Feb 20th to occur if you go by the normal progression of patterns like these (which take about 8 weeks to complete- it started on Dec 22, ironically the first full day of winter!)

Yes, the past couple of winters have been a bit of a throw-back to the mean storm tracks of much of the 80s and 90s which favored the interior, and numerous snow to rain events.

• Like 2

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

3-4" would be like a HECS this season. 

Nice to see things trend positively as we get close to the event for once. 

Lol seriously this will be a nice event because we haven’t really had any snow. Hoping we get 3-5 areawide tomorrow and next week looks a little better for us. Hopefully that trends into a big east coast storm!

5 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

3-4" would be like a HECS this season. 

Nice to see things trend positively as we get close to the event for once. 

Kinda reminds me of 12/27/90. Were predicting 1 to 3 that morning before upgrading to 3 to 6. Ended up with close to 8 with a layer of freezing rain on top.  It was all gone within 48 hours 

• Like 2

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service New York NY
144 PM EST Fri Jan 17 2020

NYZ074-075-078>080-176>179-180245-
/O.EXA.KOKX.WW.Y.0001.200118T1500Z-200119T0600Z/
Richmond (Staten Island)-Kings (Brooklyn)-Northwestern Suffolk-
Northeastern Suffolk-Southwestern Suffolk-Northern Queens-
Northern Nassau-Southern Queens-Southern Nassau-
144 PM EST Fri Jan 17 2020

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 AM SATURDAY TO 1 AM
EST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 4
  inches.

* WHERE...Portions of southeast New York.

* WHEN...From 10 AM Saturday to 1 AM EST Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Slow down and use caution while traveling.

Check local Department of Transportation information services for
the latest road conditions.

&&

$$
  • Like 1

Just now, WestBabylonWeather said:

as much as I want snow tomorrow, I hope its tame enough to where bobs furniture doesn't cancel my delivery because then I may never like snow again

Most of us hope it’s so bad they cancel the deliver 

• Haha 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic