Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Wintry mix potential weekend of Jan 18-19, 2020

wdrag

27 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

the other issue is that midlevel warmth usually comes in faster than modeled, I'd expect a quicker change to sleet as it transitions from snow to rain

Idk mid-levels are pretty cold throughout. 

I think a front thump to a cold light rain may be more likely. Gonna be tough to warm surface with strong high ahead and very low dews to start. 

2 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I think a front thump to a cold light rain may be more likely. Gonna be tough to warm surface with strong high ahead and very low dews to start. 

Yeah I don’t have the specifics but it don’t look like the 850’s go above freezing 

3B3AD9D0-2339-4F21-B147-B1E352DC5028.png

4FC87FF9-0C64-470A-801F-ECA955881EDF.png
could be some freezing rain or sleet at the end

6 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

There won't be much sleet with this as shown now.  This is snow to rain with probably a short period of sleet

• Like 2

Just now, Snow88 said:

What are your thoughts?

All rain ?

Not all rain but it is going to turn to rain across the entire metro area after the initial snow/sleet push. Every model has this going to all rain. Once again, we are posting grossly overdone 10:1 ratio snowmaps that count sleet and freezing rain as snow. Those pretty maps aren’t going to verify. When you have a primary parent low over Lake Ontario, you get a strong mid-level warm push, which models always underestimate until the last minute, we’ve seen this over and over again

• Haha 2

Just now, snowman19 said:

Not all rain but it is going to turn to rain across the entire metro area after the initial snow/sleet push. Every model has this going to all rain. Once again, we are posting grossly overdone 10:1 ratio snowmaps that count sleet and freezing rain as snow. Those pretty maps aren’t going to verify. When you have a primary parent low over Lake Ontario, you get a strong mid-level warm push, which models always underestimate until the last minute, we’ve seen this over and over again

We haven't seen this in a long time with a strong arctic high to our north. The last one I remember was in feb 2008. 

I was forecasted to get an inch. I got 6 inches and then drizzle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

This has potential to be meat rung if the Thursday system continues to blow up like this.  I don't see any scenario where we get a transfer far enough south where we stay all snow but we could see a setup where this gets grinded and ends up being much weaker with less QPF

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

What are your thoughts?

All rain ?

As it stands it would be foolish to dismiss the frozen threat. Models clearly show a cold surface/mid levels until the end. 

Very strong initial high with very low dews ahead of this thing with high trending stronger due to Thursdays system trending stronger and acting like a transient 50/50 low. 

This doesn't guarantee anything and a lot could change but that's what I'm seeing right now. Some semblance of last year's November storm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

As it stands it would be foolish to dismiss the frozen threat. Models clearly show a cold surface/mid levels until the end. 

Very strong initial high with very low dews ahead of this thing with high trending stronger due to Thursdays system trending stronger and acting like a transient 50/50 low. 

This doesn't guarantee anything and a lot could change but that's what I'm seeing right now. Some semblance of last year's November storm.

This setup is absolutely nothing at all like November, 2018

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

This setup is absolutely nothing at all like November, 2018

Why? Strong artic high with overrunning precipitation. We turned to rain in November 2018 also. The 10-1 maps are not grossly over done with the mid levels so cold beforehand. The kuchera maps are even snowier! Yes, lots of time left for this to go either way. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Why? Strong artic high with overrunning precipitation. We turned to rain in November 2018 also. The 10-1 maps are not grossly over done with the mid levels so cold beforehand. The kuchera maps are even snowier! Yes, lots of time left for this to go either way. 

Precip not as heavy especially on recent runs but that could change or adjust a bit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

Precip not as heavy especially on recent runs but that could change or adjust a bit.

It’s all about the forcing. It obviously something we won’t know until we get closer. I just checked the high strength for November 2018 it was 1035. This is supposed to be around 1040, so stronger currently. But 1035 is nothing to sneeze at. @snowman19 it’s one thing to be argumentative with facts it another to be argumentative just for the sake of it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Brian5671 said:

One thing that helped us in November 2018 was that the snow came in like a wall, went from nothing to heavy snow in a matter of 30 minutes.   That setup always helps b/c by the time the warm midlevels arrive the bulk of the precip has fallen.   

The system also approached from the S-SW.  Overrunning events that do that here are always snowier than ones which do not.  The ideal setup is the high centered right around Portland Maine or slightly NE of that with a system coming from as much a southerly direction as possible.  Anything that comes more from the west or southwest the isentropic upglide is not usually as strong leading to less intense rates and banding and often the best WAA lift goes to our north overall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

It’s all about the forcing. It obviously something we won’t know until we get closer. I just checked the high strength for November 2018 it was 1035. This is supposed to be around 1040, so stronger currently. But 1035 is nothing to sneeze at. @snowman19 it’s one thing to be argumentative with facts it another to be argumentative just for the sake of it. 

Yea this is definitely starting off as a snow event with temps likely in the 20s at the start of the storm with that high. I have fairly high confidence even at 120 hours out that this will be the most significant snowfall of the season for most of the region which really isn't saying much with the way this winter has gone lol.

The strong high that gets anchored for a while is a good sign that we could all see at least a period of moderate-heavy snow before changing over. This is a SWFE so we eventually will change over, but we’ve had our share of them that produce several inches beforehand. Hopefully the high stays in place-if it starts to erode so will the chances of a decent accum before changing over. 

42 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The system also approached from the S-SW.  Overrunning events that do that here are always snowier than ones which do not.  The ideal setup is the high centered right around Portland Maine or slightly NE of that with a system coming from as much a southerly direction as possible.  Anything that comes more from the west or southwest the isentropic upglide is not usually as strong leading to less intense rates and banding and often the best WAA lift goes to our north overall.

Great learning nugget there for me, thanks! 

• Rjay unpinned this topic