Weathernoob335
January 17-18 Winter Storm

Snowstorms

6 hours ago, Stebo said:

@wisconsinwx

1200 PM     SNOW             2 W CUDAHY              42.95N 87.91W
01/18/2020  M5.8 INCH        MILWAUKEE          WI   OFFICIAL NWS OBS

:lmao:

Right on, this one was a positive surprise, no complaints!  Looked beautiful out there this morning.  I am still going to go with the Alek theory of forecasting, but I won't go for the shock factor on initial guesses.  It would've been best in the end to broad brush all the major Upper Midwest and Great Lakes cities with 4-7" as it turned out.  Not a bad spread the wealth storm.

• Like 1

After the heavy snow, rain and sleet mixed in followed by drizzle the rest of the afternoon. Temperatures warmed into the upper 30s, peaking at T39/D37. The snow compacted a decent amount, and is now froze into a solid block about 4" deep, more in some spots, though it looks more with all the plowed snow. The huge snow banks everywhere are like boulders. Both this and the November snowstorm had in excess of 0.8" liquid in the DTW tipping bucket.  A fresh dusting of snow fell overnight, needless to say it is they went to wonderland this morning with the cold wind howling.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Up to almost 30" on the season.  Aside from November, not much of a winter for cold or snowcover, but you can't complain so far about total snowfall.

I agree. For me, being a cold and snow cover lover, it HAS been very frustrating. However, some people act like there's been no Winter at all, yet DTW is at 21.4" on the season, above average to date.  The climatological halfway point of the snow season is Jan 26.

14 minutes ago, (((Will))) said:

It's amazing how large of a role elevation has in these area. The low (~600' above sea level) areas in the snow belts still get nailed - but if you're also above 1,000-1,200 feet in elevation the difference is shocking. Since I've been here I've regularly seen snowfall totals of 8-10 inches in the low areas turn into 20+ inches just 400' higher. I assume the same can be said where you are in the Hurons. I was exploring between Ishpeming and L'anse and areas like Covington, Michigamme and north, get slammed when the lower elevations pick up just a relatively minor accumulation. I know it's obvious that elevation will play into totals, but it seems particularly striking here. Nothing like this happens in Maine...say between Farmington and Rangeley. Only other places I know of are the mountains of Vermont and the Tug Hill.

It's a lot of fun.

I know, It is amazing!  From Superior to my house (as the crow would fly) is between 5-6 miles and has an elevation difference of just over a 1000' ft.  I describe this as a snow belt within a snow belt.  If the forecast call is between 1-3', I'm the 3'.  Another thing I've noticed is that 9 times out of 10, lake events here over perform.  It's still snowing moderately but was suppose to end by 9 am, with only an additional inch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

I know, It is amazing!  From Superior to my house (as the crow would fly) is between 5-6 miles and has an elevation difference of just over a 1000' ft.  I describe this as a snow belt within a snow belt.  If the forecast call is between 1-3', I'm the 3'.  Another thing I've noticed is that 9 times out of 10, lake events here over perform.  It's still snowing moderately but was suppose to end by 9 am, with only an additional inch.

2 hours ago, (((Will))) said:

Where did you live in southern Michigan?

I would love it up there, what do you guys do for work?

How do you deal with the bugs in the summer? Ive been to the UP in June and the bugs were miserable, then the black flies come out lol.

I would love the snow up there, I hate fighting the mix line here on most storms, and getting a 10 inch snow pack is super rare here.

41 minutes ago, LansingWeather said:

I would love it up there, what do you guys do for work?

How do you deal with the bugs in the summer? Ive been to the UP in June and the bugs were miserable, then the black flies come out lol.

I would love the snow up there, I hate fighting the mix line here on most storms, and getting a 10 inch snow pack is super rare here.

I work the summer months at a bakery in negaunee, and also water the potted plants hanging from the street lights in the city of Ishpeming 3 days a week. And this summer I’m excited to spend 4 weeks volunteering for the park service on isle royal. 
As far as the bugs, some years are worse than others and my first year here was awful but you’d be surprised at what becomes normal. The bugs don’t really bother me that much anymore. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Up to almost 30" on the season.  Aside from November, not much of a winter for cold or snowcover, but you can't complain so far about total snowfall.

I got no complaints about snow. The lack of cold has been kind of disappointing though. It'd be nice if we can get above 100cm (~40") again. The last time we had three consecutive winters above 100cm at YYZ was back in 2005. We came really close in 2015. That speaks volumes about how shit winters have been lately. 

Onto the next storm now! 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

I work the summer months at a bakery in negaunee, and also water the potted plants hanging from the street lights in the city of Ishpeming 3 days a week. And this summer I’m excited to spend 4 weeks volunteering for the park service on isle royal. 
As far as the bugs, some years are worse than others and my first year here was awful but you’d be surprised at what becomes normal. The bugs don’t really bother me that much anymore. 

Isle Royale is incredible. I haven’t been since 2008 but loved it, our group had a Wolf walk through our campsite one morning which is super rare. We thought it was a rangers dog at first. 

Do you still get a reaction to mosquitos bites? I spent a summer working for the Yukon Geological Survey and ever since those 8 weeks of constant swarms my body seems to have developed an immunity to bites.

1 hour ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Isle Royale is incredible. I haven’t been since 2008 but loved it, our group had a Wolf walk through our campsite one morning which is super rare. We thought it was a rangers dog at first. 

Do you still get a reaction to mosquitos bites? I spent a summer working for the Yukon Geological Survey and ever since those 8 weeks of constant swarms my body seems to have developed an immunity to bites.

Yes, I'm still sensitive to mosquito bites.  It seems like they're a nuclear grade here too, and I have a swamp right next to my house that makes them even worse.  The insect I have the worst reaction to tho is the noseeum.  I've had golf ball size lumps from them before, depending on where they bite. Their season is about 6 weeks long and they swarm for 2-3 weeks.  

The 3 seasons here... snow, mud, and bug.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Yes, I'm still sensitive to mosquito bites.  It seems like they're a nuclear grade here too, and I have a swamp right next to my house that makes them even worse.  The insect I have the worst reaction to tho is the noseeum.  I've had golf ball size lumps from them before, depending on where they bite. Their season is about 6 weeks long and they swarm for 2-3 weeks.  

The 3 seasons here... snow, mud, and bug.

Total thread hijack. Have you ever thought about building some bat boxes to attract predators?

21 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I agree. For me, being a cold and snow cover lover, it HAS been very frustrating. However, some people act like there's been no Winter at all, yet DTW is at 21.4" on the season, above average to date.  The climatological halfway point of the snow season is Jan 26.

I think your average person correlates the harshness of a winter with snowcover and cold.  I'll get a lot of raised eyebrows in April when I drop my "actually, it was a snowy than normal winter" into conversations.

22 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Are you kidding?   Maybe that's because SOME people have had no winter at all....  

Seriously, you have been incredibly lucky.   Look at the two storms that have made up 90% of your snowfall.  One was a freak mid November record-setter and the other was a garbage storm that rode to your nw with a perfectly timed combination of WAA and a departing antecedent HP that had only been around for like a day to begin with.  Detroit's location in that whole mess was about as perfect as you could ask in that set up.   Your area was literally an island of winterstorm warnings surrounded by a sea of winter weather advisories. 

You are above normal snowfall but it's not because it's been a good winter pattern.   Aren't you always saying  that clippers are your bread and butter in a typical good winter?   How much clipper snow have you received?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Are you kidding?   Maybe that's because SOME people have had no winter at all....  

Seriously, you have been incredibly lucky.   Look at the two storms that have made up 90% of your snowfall.  One was a freak mid November record-setter and the other was a garbage storm that rode to your nw with a perfectly timed combination of WAA and a departing antecedent HP that had only been around for like a day to begin with.  Detroit's location in that whole mess was about as perfect as you could ask in that set up.   Your area was literally an island of winterstorm warnings surrounded by a sea of winter weather advisories. 

You are above normal snowfall but it's not because it's been a good winter pattern.   Aren't you always saying  that clippers are your bread and butter in a typical good winter?   How much clipper snow have you received?

Wow calm down.

There is a massive difference between living in Michigan and right at the 40th parallel. And, it doesnt matter how we get to normal or above as long as it gets there.

This is a very normal winter, yes we had a very warm stretch, but that probably makes up for the anomalous cold snaps the last few years.

Some winters are snowy, some just aren't as snowy. Its even worse for you, but don't snap because we have had  more snow than you, its just normal. And just about everyone here talks strictly about their BY.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LansingWeather said:

Wow calm down.

There is a massive difference between living in Michigan and right at the 40th parallel. And, it doesnt matter how we get to normal or above as long as it gets there.

This is a very normal winter, yes we had a very warm stretch, but that probably makes up for the anomalous cold snaps the last few years.

Some winters are snowy, some just aren't as snowy. Its even worse for you, but don't snap because we have had  more snow than you, its just normal. And just about everyone here talks strictly about their BY.

lol...i'm calm

This is what I objected to:

However, some people act like there's been no Winter at all,     Whose acting?   And what about that is referring to his back yard?    Relatively speaking for many of us....this winter has sucked.   Considering that comment came from someone who has won the lottery twice so far in an otherwise dismal winter....it came off a bit....well...

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Total thread hijack. Have you ever thought about building some bat boxes to attract predators?

I don't have any bat boxes but that is a good idea.  I do have two bats that hang around the open area of the front yard.  I see them pretty regularly around dusk in the summer, swooping up bugs.

9 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Ended up with around 12", if the LES would of panned out would of been better. Still looks like mid winter p here finally. around 20-22" OTG. Took about 2 1/2 hours to clean up the property. Haven't posed much pics this winter as been busy with family and renovations. But did take some today.

82970880_10216030057123788_394686148514983964463_10216030057243791_841411933264482519296_10216030056003760_350439425496383016137_10216030055843756_796652900104282966048_10216030055963759_499421051177782589226_10216030053683702_3742698561171

Very nice pics Josh!  

Is that a for sale sign at the end of your drive?

48 hr storm total 20" here, 17" MQT.  

19 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

I don't have any bat boxes but that is a good idea.  I do have two bats that hang around the open area of the front yard.  I see them pretty regularly around dusk in the summer, swooping up bugs.

Very nice pics Josh!  

Is that a for sale sign at the end of your drive?

48 hr storm total 20" here, 17" MQT.  

Thanks Bo,  lol no its our Address sign/ name sign, most homes in this area have them as the driveways are so long making it difficult to see the house address numbers. Actually we don't even have any numbers on our house anyhow. So no plans on moving just yet :) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Ended up with around 12", if the LES would of panned out would of been better. Still looks like mid winter p here finally. around 20-22" OTG. Took about 2 1/2 hours to clean up the property. Haven't posed much pics this winter as been busy with family and renovations. But did take some today.

82970880_10216030057123788_394686148514983964463_10216030057243791_841411933264482519296_10216030056003760_350439425496383016137_10216030055843756_796652900104282966048_10216030055963759_499421051177782589226_10216030053683702_3742698561171

That’s about what we ended up getting around Higgins also, there was about 6-8” of really hard snow otg when we got up Friday evening and about 14-16” when we left last night. A pretty intense lake effect band nailed us for a few hours Saturday night, we picked up about 5” of fluff just from that. Great storm and great snow in northern MI right now. The snowmobiling is awesome right now up there, best January conditions in a few years our group thought. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

I think your average person correlates the harshness of a winter with snowcover and cold.  I'll get a lot of raised eyebrows in April when I drop my "actually, it was a snowy than normal winter" into conversations.

I agree 100%. Last winter was a rather lackluster one for total snowfall, but between the ice storms and the long lasting cold, some considered it a "long winter", whereas winters where we had 2 feet more snow but less cold weren't looked at as "long".

4 hours ago, buckeye said:

:huh::huh::huh: Ummm, I was replying to canucks comment and agreeing, and what I meant was that some people (esp snow weenies) here, IN MICHIGAN, have acted like we have had no winter, when in reality now between 20 and 30" has fallen in most of southeast MI this season, albeit in a very frustrating pattern for the snowcover lovers like myself. That reference did not mean "some people in this subforum". And yes, I cant recall a single clipper. Our season to date measurable snow wise, we have had 2 warning snowstorms and some LES squalls and frontal snows. I much prefer clippers, cold, and white, but if this is what it is, bring on the next warning snow.