Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 17-18 Winter Storm

Snowstorms

12 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

I'm curious how accurate this precip depiction algorithm is. Currently says 33 here but airport reporting freezing rain. Surface freezing line definitely making good progress north now

I believe the radar is based upon the obs in the area.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That is a wide area of 32-33 temps

il_sfc.gif.5062484c579a0fa655f9879446717bba.gif

That big slug of moisture coming through central IL is riding that 32-33/35-40 gradient.  HRRR, RAP and NAM are still showing .5 inch or more of ZR to the north of that temp gradient in areas, even as far south as here, over the next 6-8 hours.  Hope that doesn't happen.  Big trees falling on snoozers is never a good thing. 

Evidentially, a la carlaws (Carlaw at LOT) (in the last storm this came up in the discussion) ice accretion paper, winds backing off bodes poorly for ice accumulation because it allows for more run off. (And for other reasons I won’t even try to understand).  

Changed over to heavy sleet/freezing rain earlier than expected(models portrayed the ice staying about one county to the south during the main event); around 5:30 EST. Picked up 4 to 5"(very difficult to estimate) with drifts to 1 1/2 feet or more near the house. 28 F, winds gusting to 25 mph.  Yuck!

snow.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Temp has reached freezing here.

There is some odd stuff going on.  IND is still reporting 32 and freezing rain but it's 35 in Muncie.

Very Heavy rain at 34 right now.  That Muncie sensor runs to high all the time but I noticed stations west to the border along 28 are also running 3-4 degrees higher than points N and S so that is a bit strange.

47 minutes ago, MikeGold said:

Changed over to heavy sleet/freezing rain earlier than expected(models portrayed the ice staying about one county to the south during the main event); around 5:30 EST. Picked up 5" to 6" (very difficult to estimate) with drifts to 1 1/2 feet or more near the house. 28 F, winds gusting to 25 mph.  Yuck!

snow.jpg

Where are you located?  Looks like a little blob of mixed near Jackson but still all snow here

6 minutes ago, Frog Town said:

Yup....about 2 hours earlier than most guidance saw.  Oh well, such is this winter....no back bone.  

The Winter as a whole has been very frustrating for people like me who love cold and prolonged snow cover, but this storm is awesome. Just as the November storm, this ones exceeding my expectations and packing quite a punch.

We are approaching 6" and it's now absolutely puking snow probably around 2" an hour rates

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MikeGold said:

Located near Grass Lake close to the Jackson/Washtenaw county line. Still sleeting fairly nicely at 7:30 am but mostly freezing rain during lighter intervals. Temp going up fairly quickly..now to 29.5 F.

Just started to sleet here as well. But it was pouring snow a bit ago. Around 6" so far

Meltdown mode here (Des Plaines). After a little more than 3 inches of snow, very limited pingers and a couple of hours of steady freezing rain, temp is above freezing. There was some ice accretion but nothing significant and drippage action is in full force. Couple of bad quality cell phone pics. 

image000000_01.jpg

image000000.jpg

• Like 1