Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 17-18 Winter Storm

Snowstorms

6 hours ago, Toro99 said:

Can anyone who is more knowledgeable than me, explain why GRR went with an advisory versus a warning? Most models have a lot of their CWA receiving 6 inches or more in 12 hours tonight, and certainly 8 inches plus in 24 hours when the lake affect kicks in later on Saturday.   Add that to the fact that this is going to be the most significant snow we’ve had all year, wouldn’t be prudent to go with a warning? Is it the timing of the snow, overnight? Or is it just GRR being GRR? Thanks in advance .

wouldn’t be prudent to go with a warning?

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Have switched to freezing rain.  Based on models and adjusting for current obs, don't expect to go above freezing until around 10z at the earliest and could be lingering around 32-33 for a while.  

As per Wunderground radar it looks like the freezing rain line is still south of you in Central Illinois. Must be localized? 

Been really dry here the last 90 minutes or so.  Spitting occasional freezing drizzle/nano pingers if I could even call it that.  Temps have held steady around 29 air, 27 ground.  Quite surprised how long this low level dry air has held on but with no decent precip guess it's hard to saturate. Seems every return that passes over me starts producing farther to the north.  I'll take it over slipping sliding mess. 

34 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The sleet over here has changed to freezing rain.  There's a nice glaze on top of the snow/sleet.

Same here.  Have beefy returns overhead again and it's a driving rain (freezing) with no sleet.  Temp up to 28, but still glazing very efficiently.  

EDIT:  MLI finished with 5.3" of snow.