Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 17-18 Winter Storm

Snowstorms

13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The storm that I remember best is the one at the end of January 2002.  That one had higher snow amounts in the area though.  I had about 8" of snow, a half inch or so of sleet and a really minor glaze of ice (was in Lake IN back then about 5 miles from where I am now) as the heavier ice was literally only a few miles south.  That was just a moisture firehose... go back and look at radars from back then.  

How come you don't go for you pilots license?  More than half of the knowledge is weather based - you'd enjoy it I think.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

1" in the last hour puts my 3pm total at 2.6".

The back edge is already approaching :(, but we should get another couple hours of good snow.

Just remember it’s daytime ripping snow which you didn’t think you’d see a few days ago (when you thought the heaviest may fall at night).

• Like 2

Just now, CoalCityWxMan said:

Latest runs of some hi res guidance keep temps below freezing throughout the entirety of the event for along/north of 88. If we can’t get some of the snow/ice to melt off powerlines & trees before CAA kicks in tomorrow along with potential 40+ mph gusts it may be an issue 

Possibly kind of like the 2/12/2019 event.

1 minute ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

Latest runs of some hi res guidance keep temps below freezing throughout the entirety of the event for along/north of 88. If we can’t get some of the snow/ice to melt off powerlines & trees before CAA kicks in tomorrow along with potential 40+ mph gusts it may be an issue 

LOT mentioned in PM afd

• Thanks 1

Can anyone who is more knowledgeable than me, explain why GRR went with an advisory versus a warning? Most models have a lot of their CWA receiving 6 inches or more in 12 hours tonight, and certainly 8 inches plus in 24 hours when the lake affect kicks in later on Saturday.   Add that to the fact that this is going to be the most significant snow we’ve had all year, wouldn’t be prudent to go with a warning? Is it the timing of the snow, overnight? Or is it just GRR being GRR? Thanks in advance .

• Like 2

snowing. LOT actually lowered totals for Dupage county. 1-4" on afternoon package from 3-5" this morning.
Most of the county still in 3-4" range on our graphic with part of south in 2-3". I'm not sure I would've lowered totals based on trends but it was only a small adjustment and with the WWA out at this point it is what it is.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1