• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 17-18 Winter Storm

Snowstorms

This isn't dumping on the NWS, they were in a bad situation with last weeks storm with all the data showing it should have turned out differently. Even reading their AFD and public statements posted there are a lot of mentions of "things are not like last week" and "this is different" (not exact words but close).
If it turns out that is a big impact storm that won't help things. The overall weather pattern is just crazy. We're almost approaching 1 year from -25 temps in the Chicago area that it just seems that there is so much variability that models struggle (since they make assumptions in many cases based on past events and what "is likely" to occur). Lots more 10% probability outcomes seem to be occurring (i.e. 3 "500 year floods" in 10 years, etc etc etc)

As an observer that relies on this forum to disseminate information to me, it really seems forecasting has gotten a lot more difficult for you all the last 2-3 years. More changes late in the game. Anecdotal for sure but just seems that way. Still super fun to follow along.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ILSNOW said:

12z RGEM

i know models don’t matter at this point but I thought that RGEM would have backed off somewhat by now

snku_acc.us_mw.png

Actually did back off a bit on the southern edge.  I should know since that model was most favorable and so razor thin here.  :axe:

Have to say upstream trends (radar and reports) over Iowa look good for here. Also, top down saturation is steadily progressing near DVN radar site. As far as how things go into this evening, if the good rates on the leading edge hold, that bodes well for the snow amounts. As saturation occurs, we'll see temps aloft drop from evaporative cooling then rates would temporarily hold back the WAA. We'll have to closely watch the mixing line progression on correlation coefficient this evening.

• Like 4

If we're going to see changes to the forecast for LOT, the most likely thing would seem to be higher ice amounts farther north.
Agree there. Maybe a slight bump in snow amounts but then it looks likely the entire CWA will changeover to sleet then freezing rain. The ice accums shown on COD and pivotal wx are probably still overdone but we could get some decent amounts approaching if not a bit over 1/4" in spots.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

imo, you could make an argument for a warning in the LOT cwa.  Even though the snow and/or ice amount could fall just short, there should be an overlap corridor that gets close on both counts.  Plus some wind to add to impacts.  I get why they held off though.

• Weenie 3

Have to wonder if laying down this area of snow may slow the temp rise a bit too.  It will literally be happening immediately prior to changing over so not "old" snow.  Then again we will have pretty decent waa so maybe it won't really have an impact.
I think the southeast surface winds plus snow cover will provide resistance from temps rising much until the surface low finally gets closer and winds shift to south then southwest.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Have to wonder if laying down this area of snow may slow the temp rise a bit too.  It will literally be happening immediately prior to changing over so not "old" snow.  Then again we will have pretty decent waa so maybe it won't really have an impact.

2 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

I think the southeast surface winds plus snow cover will provide resistance from temps rising much until the surface low finally gets closer and winds shift to south then southwest.

You guys are the experts and probably right, but anecdotally at least and as hoosier mentioned earlier, warm air advection usually rules the day.