Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 17-18 Winter Storm

Snowstorms

6 minutes ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

Honestly curious, what models are in reduction mode?

Its as if its become a staple to just say the models back down at the last minute whether they do or dont.

Our 9" snowstorm on Nov 11 was forecast at 3-5 the day before. If this one does well, it too will have gotten better the closer we got, not worse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

Impressive to see that you guys are going to get another warning criteria snowfall in the "warm sector" of a system, given it also happened not too long ago and how unusual it is. 

Honestly, this is the most powerball-eque Detroit winter I've ever seen. Barring some last minute failure, this will be our 2nd warning criteria snowstorm, each has trended better with time. In between, there has been very little what you would call nuisance snowfalls, and the snows that have fallen have not caused many travel disruption and have usually been in the form of brief but heavy squalls. Lots of flurries but those don't really have any effect other than being mood flakes. Its been a frustrating winter for me but its one you would write up and request every year.

4 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Its as if its become a staple to just say the models back down at the last minute whether they do or dont.

Our 9" snowstorm on Nov 11 was forecast at 3-5 the day before. If this one does well, it too will have gotten better the closer we got, not worse.

Just judging by the posts in here I fully expected models to show a pathetic outcome for LOT atleast before I checked but it seems about the same/slightly better even than last night on most hi res guidance atleast. I know it’s certainly been the trend lately but :yikes:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

It's a coping mechanism. If I convince myself guidance says its going to suck, I am less disappointed when it actually shits the bed. I think its the "denial" stage of grief. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

Just judging by the posts in here I fully expected models to show a pathetic outcome for LOT atleast before I checked but it seems about the same/slightly better even than last night on most hi res guidance atleast. I know it’s certainly been the trend lately but :yikes:

Hedging on their emotional buy in. If it underperforms- told you so. If it meets forecast or overperforms here come the photos and gleeful posts that models finally got something right this god forsaken winter.lol 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Detroit/southern burbs  are famous for cleaning up the shit left behind here at closing time of tracking.  Stebo had this a trash storm. When its wagons west we all know its shit and there are rarely late surprises. This is a funky one back this way.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

15z HRRR is very sig the the local area.

Widespread 3-7” of snow, then widespread 0.25-0.60” ice.

This isn't dumping on the NWS, they were in a bad situation with last weeks storm with all the data showing it should have turned out differently. Even reading their AFD and public statements posted there are a lot of mentions of "things are not like last week" and "this is different" (not exact words but close).

If it turns out that is a big impact storm that won't help things. The overall weather pattern is just crazy. We're almost approaching 1 year from -25 temps in the Chicago area that it just seems that there is so much variability that models struggle (since they make assumptions in many cases based on past events and what "is likely" to occur). Lots more 10% probability outcomes seem to be occurring (i.e. 3 "500 year floods" in 10 years, etc etc etc)

• Like 1