Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 17-18 Winter Storm

Snowstorms

9 minutes ago, ChiTownSnow said:

For reference.  We were actually above normal for the last decade in snow 

feature010519.jpg

By the way, I'm having a total brain fart. When I was calculating the decade snow around new years, I was doing it for my own Detroit records, but seeing how it was easily the snowiest decade on record, I started to compare to other areas in the Great Lakes and midwest. I ran numbers for quite a few cities, just playing around on xmacis, but did not document them. It may have been Flint not Chicago that was their 2nd snowiest decade, I can't remember. Regardless, as that chart shows, Chicago had above normal snowfall in 7 out of the 10 years of the decade.

1 hour ago, Snowstorms said:

I feel like it's been a common theme since 2010, maybe even before that. We have prolonged mild spells through the heart of winter and only a few weeks of intense wintry weather.

Let's be honest, since 2010, we've only had 3 maybe 4 appreciable winters. And besides 2010-11 and 2013-14, the other 1-2 good winters featured a decent warm spell. Perhaps this is a result of climate change or maybe it's just a temporary blip. Regardless, we won't know until we see how the next couple of winters perform. 

Actually, this past decade wasn't too bad. In February 2013, we saw one of the biggest snowstorms on record for Toronto. Winter 2013-2014 was the coldest in 20 years. February 2015 was the coldest February since at least 1840 (when records began) in Toronto. 2017 saw the coldest New Years period since the late 60s. 2018 saw the coldest October-December period in Toronto since 1980. January and February 2019 saw decent amounts of snow.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Not fair to go south just to troll us with worse juju than is already being suffered :P

:lol:

Even down there, where the average yearly snowfall is a whopping 2", there's plenty of banter about the lack of winter weather from fellow enthusiasts. Yet, what's funny about it though is that they would kill to experience the "less than impressive" Winter you guys are having this season (that was, in small part, why SnowlessinCarollton was excited to come up to your neck of the woods).

I'm just amused by the reactions about this current storm system along with responses from folks like beavis1729 about winter as a whole followed by michsnowfreak coming in to bring folks in from off the ledge (and yes, he's not wrong). 

I don't have to be reminded that I did a ton of whining about the lack of Big Dog storms when I was still there, but that aside, even I will acknowledge you all have had an overall impressive stretch of winters in the last 15 years. So the feelings of despair from some clashing with michsnowfreak's relentless positivity in somewhat bad winters that could be much worse intrigues me, and I'd hate to see what the discourse is like if one of those sub-20" winters happened.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiTownSnow said:

For reference.  We were actually above normal for the last decade in snow 

feature010519.jpg

I know that. :) But as we have talked about a lot, it’s not just total snowfall that defines a winter. There are other categories like SDDs, average snowpack season (which for us is zero!), having a White Christmas, etc.

I have a met degree and know our climo way too well. What I am saying is that our climo is horrible. I just wish there were some people on this board who understood the frustration, instead of constantly arguing about it and providing facts and details and comparisons and refuting everyone. It would be great to hear someone say “yeah brother, I feel your pain”. Am I really the only one?

Beavis, did you used to live in Canada or something and are longing for those winters?

Your standards for a "good" winter in Chicago will be met about 10 or 20 percent of the time, if that.  Most people ground their expectations based on where they live.  For some reason you don't.  

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Powerball said:

:lol:

Even down there, where the average yearly snowfall is a whopping 2", there's plenty of banter about the lack of winter weather from fellow enthusiasts. Yet, what's funny about it though is that they would kill to experience the "less than impressive" Winter you guys are having this season (that was, in small part, why SnowlessinCarollton was excited to come up to your neck of the woods).

I'm just amused by the reactions about this current storm system along with responses from folks like beavis1729 about winter as a whole followed by michsnowfreak coming in to bring folks in from off the ledge (and yes, he's not wrong). 

I don't have to be reminded that I did a ton of whining about the lack of Big Dog storms when I was still there, but that aside, even I will acknowledge you all have had an overall impressive stretch of winters in the last 15 years. So the feelings of despair from some clashing with michsnowfreak's relentless positivity in somewhat bad winters that could be much worse intrigues me, and I'd hate to see what the discourse is like if one of those sub-20" winters happened.

I don't even consider it positivity, it's just realism. I'm NOT happy with the lack of Winter weather recently either, but it's just comical when I read responses or knee jerk reactions to op runs and claims of dispair, when the big picture and reality of weather and climate is so  misunderstood by even so many weather hobbyists. Having a true sense of your areas climatological history as I and a few others on here have, is awesome in my opinion. I do know that some posters enjoy our climate posts and others probably get annoyed saying they don't want to hear about climo, yet all it is is stating fact.

What I find amusing about the season in SE MI is that we're kind of having an East Coast Winter to be honest. We had a big snowstorm in November 11-12th, a big rainstorm December 29-30th, and a big rainstorm (with a bit of frozen) January 10-12th. All 3 storms were very impressive, especially the November and January storms as they set all time records for their respective months. But outside of those 3 storms, it's been a ton of zzzzs.  Don't get me wrong we've had many typical SE MI days of flurries, snow showers, and dustings, but that is going to be impossible to not get living in the Great Lakes. The general picture though has been that of the East Coast climate, and I know you will remember back in the day when we were bombarded with constant nuisance snow falls and i was in my glory, there was a huge contingent here that said they get tired of our constant small snows and want an East Coast type climate. Where are they now lol?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I don't even consider it positivity, it's just realism. I'm NOT happy with the lack of Winter weather recently either, but it's just comical when I read responses or knee jerk reactions to op runs and claims of dispair, when the big picture and reality of weather and climate is so  misunderstood by even so many weather hobbyists. Having a true sense of your areas climatological history as I and a few others on here have, is awesome in my opinion. I do know that some posters enjoy our climate posts and others probably get annoyed saying they don't want to hear about climo, yet all it is is stating fact.

What I find amusing about the season in SE MI is that we're kind of having an East Coast Winter to be honest. We had a big snowstorm in November 11-12th, a big rainstorm December 29-30th, and a big rainstorm (with a bit of frozen) January 10-12th. All 3 storms were very impressive, especially the November and January storms as they set all time records for their respective months. But outside of those 3 storms, it's been a ton of zzzzs.  Don't get me wrong we've had many typical SE MI days of flurries, snow showers, and dustings, but that is going to be impossible to not get living in the Great Lakes. The general picture though has been that of the East Coast climate, and I know you will remember back in the day when we were bombarded with constant nuisance snow falls and i was in my glory, there was a huge contingent here that said they get tired of our constant small snows and want an East Coast type climate. Where are they now lol?

Would agree this winter may resemble an East Coast winter in the fact it seems to be starting up later and we have had a few moisture laden systems. But you dont have an ocean, you dont get the bombogenesis winter storms with anywhere near the frequency as the NE

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I don’t think a single 10-inch storm counts as a “big East Coast storm”.

• Like 1