• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
MJO understanding?

So from what I have read and somewhat grasp, the phase is indicative of what area convection is in the pacific.  How does a El Niño, La Niña or neutral setup effect each phase?  If my basic understanding is wrong then I apologize, trying to learn!

ENSO (El Nino, Neutral, La Nina) is kind of a semi-stationary pattern in the Tropical Pacific, which is why it is useful for seasonal forecasting.

The MJO is a signal for changes within the season, because it moves around the world, essentially as a coherent band of thunderstorms, and ends up where it started in 30-60 day increments. If the MJO is in the right spot, it can also dry out a region of the tropics. The placement of the thunderstorms changes which areas of the US are favored for cold/warmth, dryness/wetness. The placement can enhance or reduce the dominant effect of an El Nino or La Nina, if that effect is in place. There is evidence of solar changes impacting the MJO too, in some research. More intense MJO patterns can often take over as the dominant force in a pattern for a bit. Like now, with the ~60F lows in January in the Northeast corridor.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/enso/what-mjo-and-why-do-we-care

I appreciate both of you responding.  I guess more so I am asking how each phase of MJO is prominent during the different ENSO phases.  I get what El Niño, neutral and La Niña patterns are in regards to their set up of SST’s in the pacific.  I was looking more into how each phase 1-8 is different in each ENSO phase  if that makes sense!