• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Snow squall potential Jan 8 10A-4P

wdrag

Scattered snow squalls are likely to make it to near NYC midday Wednesday as a wind shift with steep lapse rates drives squalls out of NY state into the NYC metro area. Might have a few sprinkles at the beginning of any NYC squalls.  Cant tell if it will be as dramatic as that of (Dec 18?).  Probably not, but potential exists for rapidly changing road conditions in a couple of minutes in brief heavy squalls, especially northwest of NYC.   Drier surface stabilizing cold air advection develops behind the squalls late in the day. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wdrag said:

Scattered snow squalls are likely to make it to near NYC midday Wednesday as a wind shift with steep lapse rates drives squalls out of NY state into the NYC metro area. Might have a few sprinkles at the beginning of any NYC squalls.  Cant tell if it will be as dramatic as that of (Dec 18?).  Probably not, but potential exists for rapidly changing road conditions in a couple of minutes in brief heavy squalls, especially northwest of NYC.   Drier surface stabilizing cold air advection develops behind the squalls late in the day. 

Walt, I have noticed there are more of these snow squalls in winters that are lackluster otherwise.  I wonder if this is true or if we just notice them more?  These happened quite a bit during the 80s and early 90s too.

*it may be true, because in warmer winters, the lakes take longer to freeze.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Walt, I have noticed there are more of these snow squalls in winters that are lackluster otherwise.  I wonder if this is true or if we just notice them more?  These happened quite a bit during the 80s and early 90s too.

*it may be true, because in warmer winters, the lakes take longer to freeze.

I flew over the lakes yesterday.

Right under the UP of Michigan

Amazing how little of the lakes are frozen this year and how little snow is on the ground in the Upper Mid West

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

BGM radar is down. Given how low the tops are with these, they may not show up until closer in (within range of OKX and DIX); vis sat is getting bubbly in NE PA and adjacent areas.

Are you saying that it's not over, there may be another round of squalls? It kind of has that feel...

1 minute ago, gravitylover said:

Are you saying that it's not over, there may be another round of squalls? It kind of has that feel...

The cold front moves through during peak "heating" this afternoon. Conditions are most favorable from ~1-4PM when CAPE is maximized and we have low-level convergence w/ the front.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Rjay pinned this topic

Squalls/lake effect added about another inch where I am in Syracuse. Very wintry/tundra like since the snow is blowing around and hard to tell how much really fell. There’s a small band that’s been bouncing in and out of where I am over the last hour. The snow is practically pure fluff and blows away like nothing. 

• Like 1

I love that stuff. It's gotta be fun skiing under the lights tonight.

Looks like it's pretty much over down here, everything is drying up as it downslopes off the Catskills. I got a few more short bursts that didn't add up to anything but it whitened the ground slightly. It's cold and windy and it feels very wintry now.

On 1/8/2020 at 11:20 AM, purduewx80 said:

The cold front moves through during peak "heating" this afternoon. Conditions are most favorable from ~1-4PM when CAPE is maximized and we have low-level convergence w/ the front.

I didn't see a flake of snow, much disappointed.  The post mortem stated that the air was too dry to get the kind of widespread snow we got back in December (unless you were well south, like Philly or Baltimore?)

15 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I didn't see a flake of snow, much disappointed.  The post mortem stated that the air was too dry to get the kind of widespread snow we got back in December (unless you were well south, like Philly or Baltimore?)

I dunno, I thought it was a much nicer snow than the squall in December. I only got .5" but it wasn't very windy and the rates were insane.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I dunno, I thought it was a much nicer snow than the squall in December. I only got .5" but it wasn't very windy and the rates were insane.

ah the one here in December had a very midwestern feel, it snowed at varying rates from 4 PM to 11 PM and there was even blowing snow! we had about an inch here.