Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 10th-12th Winter Storm Potential

Thundersnow12

37 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That would be a pleasant surprise. 

my prediction 4.6 naperville before i head back to sofla on sunday morning, we deal with the same gfs euro battle with the tropical systems you guys do with the winter storms....the two models often see the setup very differently, the euro wins about 75% of the time in the tropics, national hurricane center always wins on track inside 72 hours....I arrived 6 hours ago and so far its been a fog fest, im hoping to hell we dont get screwed tomorrow with 33 and lots of rain that could have been snow

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, michaelmantis said:

I'm looking at the stationary front placement right now over N IL and it looks to go from Waukegan straight to Peoria (it essentially crosses right over me in Elgin, IL). Temp 37 now. 

Knife's edge... But assuming temps will stay the same or even warm a bit as the first round come in...

FWIW (probably nothing at all) but the HRRR has been initializing 1-3 degrees too warm for most locations in N IL & has the freezing line a tad too far west in Iowa...like I said probably nothing that’ll make a difference but when you’re forecasting down to a degree the slightest change can make a difference. 

1 hour ago, Natester said:

Very little ice accretion on trees and powerlines.  Freezing rain might linger for a couple more hours although it's predominantly sleet right now.

I'm a couple miles west of downtown Cedar Rapids and it has been raining here for quite a while.  I certainly wasn't expecting 4+ hours of freezing rain.  There are a few pingers, but it's mostly rain.  Everything is glazed in ice and icicles are dangling from things like the bird feeder.

47 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

21z RAP is one amped up son of a gun. 

Honestly I am expecting something deeper and maybe a bit west than the globals.  Just a gut feeling.

I think it's just the usual case where the RAP will need to play catch-up. Probably will see it do so a bit by the longer range 3z run.

• Like 1