• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 10th-12th Winter Storm Potential

Thundersnow12

Ok, I searched January for 2" precip, 1.0" snow storm combos in Chicago history.  I know, low bar on the snow amount lol.  But even setting a measly threshold of 1" snow, it's rare... like really rare.  

We'll throw this one on the list even though it started on New Years Eve...

12/31/1890 to 1/2/1891:  2.03" precip, 3.0" snow

and...

1/26/1967 to 1/27/1967:  2.40" precip, 23.0" snow

So I'm not sure what to think.  Either something pretty unusual is on the verge of happening or the 2" precip amount or 1" snow amount will get derailed.  Guess we'll find out in a few days.

• Thanks 2

Just now, Hoosier said:

Ok, I searched January for 2" precip, 1.0" snow storm combos in Chicago history.  I know, low bar on the snow amount lol.  But even setting a measly threshold of 1" snow, it's rare... like really rare.  

We'll throw this one on the list even though it started on New Years Eve...

12/31/1890 to 1/2/1891:  2.03" precip, 3.0" snow

and...

1/26/1967 to 1/27/1967:  2.40" precip, 23.0" snow

So I'm not sure what to think.  Either something pretty unusual is on the verge of happening or the 2" precip amount or 1" snow amount will get derailed.  Guess we'll find out in a few days.

When we're shoveling through the feet of snow on Sunday morning, remember this moment. 

For LOT cwa, I think there will be a band of >0.25" ice accrual.  Could be significantly more but hard to say.  Certainly discounting the apocalyptic ice maps given the negative factors that have been mentioned.  Where it ends up is the question.  If the GFS starts trending the other way then it would put it through the heart of the metro or perhaps into the southern metro.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LansingWeather said:

Does that push the moisture more SE or just make the wintry aspect larger/worse?

Moisture outpaces the subfreezing airmass up to that point.  It would have ramifications for exactly where the zone sets up later Fri into Sat... IF it's right.  

• Like 1