Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 10th-12th Winter Storm Potential

Thundersnow12

22 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

tone serious: this looks like a rainer tho, antecedent airmass is trash and the western trough is gonna crank heights. madison special incoming.

22 hours ago, Stebo said:

The air mass is the cold air pressing in not the prefrontal airmass which is why there is a lot of ice being shown especially with the multiple piece setup it is showing.

:yikes:

• Haha 1

This is purely a "marketing" or "public relations" question, not a criticism of the NWS by any means. 

Does publishing an image like the one below (from NWS Chicago a few minutes ago) provide clarity to the general public? 

Those of us here are following models, each track shift, freezing lines, and listening to the voices from our voodoo dolls that whisper the weather future, etc. But does the average person get the intended message out of the image below? 

Also, what is the key for the two different colors? I get the dark blue is the main risk area, but what is that? 50% chance? This seems to me like some type of NWS model output that is so simplified that is loses meaning.

Once again, mean absolutely no disrespect. Just curious. 

ENtTev9VUAA4x0C?format=jpg&name=large

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, michaelmantis said:

This is purely a "marketing" or "public relations" question, not a criticism of the NWS by any means. 

Does publishing an image like the one below (from NWS Chicago a few minutes ago) provide clarity to the general public? 

Those of us here are following models, each track shift, freezing lines, and listening to the voices from our voodoo dolls that whisper the weather future, etc. But does the average person get the intended message out of the image below? 

Also, what is the key for the two different colors? I get the dark blue is the main risk area, but what is that? 50% chance? This seems to me like some type of NWS model output that is so simplified that is loses meaning.

More to emphasize the broad range of possiblities.... The avg person should read that as the lighter areas expect impactful travel and in the darker areas, more so but uncertainty as to exactly where this far out...

11 minutes ago, michaelmantis said:

Looks like some devil-monster about to eat Jefferson City.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

That bit of snow out east shows that it can snow even with hostile indices.  The AO is raging positive and the NAO is positive.  You'd definitely rather not have that combo though lol.

that's all that's left of the blizzard you and Alek were suppose to get from 10 days ago.. .it's the rotting carcass falling to the ground and rolling off the coast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

GFS handles the trough a lot differently than the Euro... much more neutral than the very pronounced neg tilt on the Euro.  18z Euro will be out in a while so we'll get an idea of whether it doubles down on the 12z run.  

Speaking of 18z runs... The 18z GEM came in much slower with the main wave, digging into N. Mexico a bit this run.

The run only goes to 84hrs, but the setup would lead me to believe it would go negative tilt and eject out similar to the Euro, as the next trough enters the PAC NW.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Speaking of 18z runs... The 18z GEM came in much slower with the main wave, digging into N. Mexico a bit this run.

The run only goes to 84hrs, but the setup would lead me to believe it would go negative tilt and eject out similar to the Euro, as the next trough enters the PAC NW.

Way down there

GZ_D5_PN_084_0000.gif.2c5809d8a28521554ef08af89a2afcdb.gif

IND betting on the Euro vs GFS at present for heavy rain in central IN.

The 12z ECMWF is now a much more reliable model than the GFS and has
support from the ensembles. The GFS was much quicker and weaker with
a wave along the front. The Euro brings surface wave from southern
Arkansas to central Illinois on Saturday. Strong synoptic lift and
jet streak interaction combined with the thermodynamics will result
in widespread rain and heavy at times Friday night and Saturday.
Storm Total WPC QPF through Saturday night is on the order of 3 to 5
inches over the area. This amount will result in moderate flooding
over some parts of area rivers and also result in some flash
flooding.

29 minutes ago, Indystorm said:

IND betting on the Euro vs GFS at present for heavy rain in central IN.

The 12z ECMWF is now a much more reliable model than the GFS and has
support from the ensembles. The GFS was much quicker and weaker with
a wave along the front. The Euro brings surface wave from southern
Arkansas to central Illinois on Saturday. Strong synoptic lift and
jet streak interaction combined with the thermodynamics will result
in widespread rain and heavy at times Friday night and Saturday.
Storm Total WPC QPF through Saturday night is on the order of 3 to 5
inches over the area. This amount will result in moderate flooding
over some parts of area rivers and also result in some flash
flooding.

Waiting on the NAM's range to see if the ol' EE rule will be in effect. Yes, that was dragged out of the archives. I think that is what Hoosier was alluding to above.