• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 10-11 Severe Weather Threat

DanLarsen34

Moderate risk to be expanded farther east with the new outlook. 

Seems like there is pretty good agreement across guidance that the greatest overall tornado threat may be across southeast OK into northeast TX...though I still would watch out across southeastern TX...I'm not totally sold either that there isn't more discrete than what is currently shown...there are some hints at it but nothing glaring. 

The damaging wind threat though is looking pretty legit. 

image.thumb.png.7863ecb5076e6cd60588318164ee349e.png

It seems like the biggest discrete supercell tornado threat this afternoon will be initially near I-35 from central TX northward into Oklahoma. We may get a cell or two a bit further east in TX but it's much more conditional.

More concerning is the latest HRRR which show a nasty QLCS moving through NE TX, while a string of cells forms ahead of the line near the TX-LA border. Those could be our dangerous nocturnal tornado producers, aside from the QLCS itself.

It wouldn't surprise me if a bunch of people start crying bust by 7-8 pm and the main show begins shortly thereafter. 

3 minutes ago, cstrunk said:

It seems like the biggest discrete supercell tornado threat this afternoon will be initially near I-35 from central TX northward into Oklahoma. We may get a cell or two a bit further east in TX but it's much more conditional.

More concerning is the latest HRRR which show a nasty QLCS moving through NE TX, while a string of cells forms ahead of the line near the TX-LA border. Those could be our dangerous nocturnal tornado producers, aside from the QLCS itself.

It wouldn't surprise me if a bunch of people start crying bust by 7-8 pm and the main show begins shortly thereafter. 

Yeah this is something to definitely watch and I think hi-res models are starting to hint more and more at this possibility. Given the environment you would think outflow from the QLCS could be vigorous enough to produce updrafts out ahead of it. 

I think there are two windows here for tornadic supercells...initially (or early on in the game) and then again moving into the overnight...especially with the nocturnal increase in the LLJ...this coincides with another burst of instability (due to increasing llvl theta-e). 

Could be a long night from SE TX into LA and perhaps even as far north as AR (in terms of tornadoes). 

• Like 1

Just now, weatherwiz said:

If we see an upgrade to high risk b/c of tornado probs this is the area I'm thinking. Latest guidance really hammering in on this area 

image.png.bba6be5da5cd03fcb3aad5f2c48045cc.png

You could probably extend that further into AR if you believe that latest HRRR trends. The Super Tuesday analogue seems less comical now than it did a few days ago

1 minute ago, Bob's Burgers said:

You could probably extend that further into AR if you believe that latest HRRR trends. The Super Tuesday analogue seems less comical now than it did a few days ago

Yeah definitely couldn't rule out a farther expansion of that area...especially if you want to consider the damaging wind aspect...I sorta focused more on tornado probs but if I were to include winds it would have been much bigger 

28 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

If we see an upgrade to high risk b/c of tornado probs this is the area I'm thinking. Latest guidance really hammering in on this area 

image.png.bba6be5da5cd03fcb3aad5f2c48045cc.png

Even if they don't go with a high risk their will probably be a PDS tornado watch for that area in the late evening

some clearing over NE OK. SW MO..

RGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED  
TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 2  
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK  
1040 AM CST FRI JAN 10 2020  

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A  

* TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF   
  NORTHWEST ARKANSAS  
  SOUTHWEST MISSOURI  
  CENTRAL AND EASTERN OKLAHOMA  

* EFFECTIVE THIS FRIDAY MORNING AND EVENING FROM 1040 AM UNTIL  
  600 PM CST.  

* PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...  
  A FEW TORNADOES LIKELY WITH A COUPLE INTENSE TORNADOES POSSIBLE  
  WIDESPREAD DAMAGING WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH LIKELY  
  SCATTERED LARGE HAIL EVENTS TO 1.5 INCHES IN DIAMETER LIKELY  

SUMMARY...THUNDERSTORMS ARE INTENSIFYING OVER CENTRAL OKLAHOMA, AND  
SHOULD SPREAD EASTWARD THROUGH THE AFTERNOON ACROSS THE WATCH AREA.   
PARAMETERS ARE FAVORABLE FOR DAMAGING WINDS AND HAIL IN THE STRONGER  
CELLS, ALONG WITH AN INCREASING RISK OF TORNADOES AS THE STORMS MOVE  
EASTWARD.