Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 8th, 2020 Coastal - little critter

Baroclinic Zone

3 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The GFS SE bias at 72 hours on coastals actually works great for this upcoming system. The 12z gfs is likely where the UKIE will wind up at if not more progressive in about 24-36 hours as this flow screams progressive

The problem is not the progressive nature, but rather two streams are differing speeds.  If both the southern and northern branches of the split jet pattern were progressive in nature there would be a greater likelihood of phasing, but with two streams at odds in speed the potential for phasing decreases.  However, I am not seeing the northern branch lead disturbance over the Great Lakes today as a problem for our coastal storm and its track up the coast.  In fact, it is the phasing of the two jets.  With lack of a strong +PNA ridge in place out west, to slow down the northern stream phasing is reliant on the southern branch and its potential strength and orientation.  We have a lot to decide in the next 24 hours.

Too many men on the field. That northern s/w keeps slowing down a hair every set of model runs and limits the ability for the storm to amplify. Eventually the bigger dog drops in and everything goes nuclear toward the Maritimes. It'd be nice to be able to get some more downstream ridging out ahead of the system we're tracking. It's just a little too flat behind the moose fart.

• Thanks 1

This is kind of like 'threading the needle,' if perhaps in more of a holistic way. 

We're used to that metaphor where needles are thin, so...the margin of error is spread over a smaller latitude. From 84 or so + hours out we are hoping the dart targets us ( or not depending on what one wants)  Even tho Wednesday's deal may end up a bigger spatial event by dimensions and so forth, we are still in effect .... narrowing probability for actually getting this to happen in time.  So, in this case ...that's our needle.

3 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I'm going to hold out until 12z tomorrow, If we don't get improvements then it will be time to let it go.

mm, I feel pretty good about doing that now.  Although the Euro took a bit of a hit on that last event it trying to drill 6-10" across SNE last week, that sort of error at < D5 is rarer for that model.   I'm willing to cut it a break one or two bad calls along the way, when in general it's longer termed performance seldom displays that sort of wrongness. 

That, and, the S/W mechanics are relaying over land into the denser physically realized sounding domain so that should supply some additional credence - thought admittedly...it would have to be admitting to no drugs ..haha.  kidding

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

mm, I feel pretty good about doing that now.  Although the Euro took a bit of a hit on that last event it trying to drill 6-10" across SNE last week, that sort of error at < D5 is rarer for that model.   I'm willing to cut it a break one or two bad calls along the way, when in general it's longer termed performance seldom displays that sort of wrongness. 

That, and, the S/W mechanics are relaying over land into the denser physically realized sounding domain so that should supply some additional credence - thought admittedly...it would have to be admitting to no drugs ..haha.  kidding

lol, The euro has puked down the front of its robe here a few times recently, But that lead s/w needs to either weaken so its further north or speed up to get out of the way for the one following, Even slowing down the trailing s/w would help too, Don't know if we get any of these changes though but we have seen all winter inside a tighter window we have had changes so we have that to hang on to for now.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

It'll be rough, especially after a nice week of snow showers.  A couple good rounds that might bring 4-8" to the ski areas this week just in time for the torch to come next weekend.

Just gonna be one of those winters.

ecmwf-deterministic-neng-total_snow_10to1-8571200.thumb.png.7c998ab7f7ffdf765cf57d5d8cd14604.png

You will be dumping next Sunday afternoon 

2 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

GREAT!!!!  I've Been home since December 11th, seen TWO Storms.... Missed the 15" that fell before I was home in Ukraine.... BOTH Ice Storms... NO Snow.... with a Total of less than 0.5" of Wintry Precipitation.....

NOW I leave TOMORORW, & STORMS ARE COMING.  :lightning:

Nothing is coming, enjoy your next trip...not missing anything weenie related unless you want HHH in Jan.

35 minutes ago, dryslot said:

lol, The euro has puked down the front of its robe here a few times recently, But that lead s/w needs to either weaken so its further north or speed up to get out of the way for the one following, Even slowing down the trailing s/w would help too, Don't know if we get any of these changes though but we have seen all winter inside a tighter window we have had changes so we have that to hang on to for now.

yeah .. right .. agreed.

No matter how we dress it up and uber hyper drill into the texture of the thing... like I snarked to Brian an hour ago, the flow is simply too fast for phasing. 

I mean what you describe is really alleviated if the ridge in the west pops higher in latitude... But it can't, because the whole fuggin' hemisphere is moving a ludicrous speeds in the first place - one thing limits the next thing --> ultimately limits that

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeah .. right .. agreed.

No matter how we dress it up and uber hyper drill into the texture of the thing... like I snarked to Brian an hour ago, the flow is too fast for phasing. 

I mean what you describe is really alleviated if the ridge in the west pops...but it can't, because the whole fuggin' hemisphere is moving a ludicrous speeds -

Fast flow doesn't allow for much if any amplification, I'm hoping as we move along in Jan it starts to get better.