Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tuesday 1/7/20 Disco snow event

MountainGeek

8 hours ago, Sparky said:

This storm was legit especially the last hour and a half.   I am going with a final of 4.75".  Considering I was above freezing for much of it by a degree or so I don't think I could have done any better than this.

That little extra elevation helped ya squeeze out an extra .75 or so! I averaged about 4” here in Union bridge. Had a few 4.5 measurements but discounted them against the other 7/8 consistent  measurements.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jayyy said:

Solid haul. Looks like usual colder spots in N MD into S PA jackpotted

I’ll take my 4 and run with it in this pattern. 

We are always searching for that perfect pattern but I bet more then half, if not 2/3rds of our snow come in flawed, if not severely flawed patterns. Maybe I should ask @psuhoffman, he always seems to have the numbers. :) 

5 hours ago, Interstate said:

I mean I don’t know what you are looking for. I do not know of anyone who thought that downtown Washington or Baltimore was going to receive any accumlations. 

He said he was disappointed that a bunch of snow fell but nothing stuck. I’m not sure how you can’t understand that and that you feel the need to twist the knife by mentioning models and insinuating that he’s a weenie.

• Like 3

Fairfax schools just closed, to join Culpeper, Fairfax (for students), Fauquier, Fredericksburg, Loudoun (for students), Manassas, Manassas Park, Prince William, Spotsylvania, Stafford, Rappahannock and Madison.

The UHI area (Arlington, Alexandria, Falls Church) is on two-hour delays.

For many people(myself included) that were in the DC S&E areas of I-95 this one wasn't as fun as other near miss snows.  Again, the concern some had yesterday morning about lack of clouds and sun was warranted.  I'm not sure there were as many model runs that had DC and other places absolutely torch prior to the onset of precip.  If it was a few hours faster like the people in SW VA benefited from then I bet all of us would be rejoicing.

I started the morning at 28F prior to sunrise.  By the time precip started it was 46 IMBY.  That was just too much 925s to overcome.  It didn't flip for me until after 2pm which for many it had been ripping for hours and mainly had the luxury of temps helping. 

I understand location and climo.  Probably more than most of you.  So when models had my area for 1" or so I always know the challenges.  What grinds most of the gears for the people who see less snow isn't that we don't know what the odds are.  We just don't need that one extra thing to make it that much harder to get snow.  Yesterday was soaring temps.  That clearly delayed the flip.  Once I did I still had temp issues of only getting to 33F.  So it was mostly white rain.  Despite that, if I wasn't battling 40s at the start I would have seen a few more hours of snow even if it melted.  Thats what most of us wanted.  Just to have snow falling.  

So I got .5" yesterday.  Not just because of location and elevation.  Those are constants.  Yesterday's lower total was due to clouds not getting in soon enough, temps soaring, and the column not being able to overcome it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Pretty hefty batch riding the MD/PA border

Only light returns here but impressive little bursts of snow. I imagine those along the border up there are experiencing some pretty heavy snow Noticed there are snow squall warnings up in central pa.

9 minutes ago, H2O said:

For many people(myself included) that were in the DC S&E areas of I-95 this one wasn't as fun as other near miss snows.  Again, the concern some had yesterday morning about lack of clouds and sun was warranted.  I'm not sure there were as many model runs that had DC and other places absolutely torch prior to the onset of precip.  If it was a few hours faster like the people in SW VA benefited from then I bet all of us would be rejoicing.

I started the morning at 28F prior to sunrise.  By the time precip started it was 46 IMBY.  That was just too much 925s to overcome.  It didn't flip for me until after 2pm which for many it had been ripping for hours and mainly had the luxury of temps helping. 

I understand location and climo.  Probably more than most of you.  So when models had my area for 1" or so I always know the challenges.  What grinds most of the gears for the people who see less snow isn't that we don't know what the odds are.  We just don't need that one extra thing to make it that much harder to get snow.  Yesterday was soaring temps.  That clearly delayed the flip.  Once I did I still had temp issues of only getting to 33F.  So it was mostly white rain.  Despite that, if I wasn't battling 40s at the start I would have seen a few more hours of snow even if it melted.  Thats what most of us wanted.  Just to have snow falling.  

So I got .5" yesterday.  Not just because of location and elevation.  Those are constants.  Yesterday's lower total was due to clouds not getting in soon enough, temps soaring, and the column not being able to overcome it.  

Yeah you guys were very unlucky yesterday and I hated to see that happen.

7 minutes ago, H2O said:

I feel your pain. I used to live off Franconia Road and experienced a number of times these marginal events that come at us from the sw. Wind direction aloft is important for these types of storms. Had it been coming up the coast, obviously a much different outcome for your area. Keep the faith; Feb. will be your month.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Unless PSU and Showme eat it all up

And I am hungry. :) eta: And I mean it. I could go for some eggs and bacon right now. Well bacon mostly.

Kind of reminding me of a thunderstorm rolling in here. Clear skies beforehand with a bank of clouds that just moved in overhead. Several gusts of wind came in as well. Just waiting for the snow to start falling at this point. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, H2O said:

When I lived in Lake Ridge these events would drive me insane. The final straw was a driving rainstorm in Woodbridge when Leesburg reported 7" of snow...that's when I made my decision to move here in 04. My short stint in Nokesville was very similar. That said today's climate is making Leesburg pretty close to marginal now...I can see in a couple years the rain/snow lines moving further NW

8 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I'm getting a late start this morning so I'm still home and decent snow shower rolling thru atm . I'm headed to northern Harford co so hopefully it follows me:D

Nice snow squall moving through here now. Great rates (better then what I saw yesterday that had some very good rates) with snowflakes reaching half dollar size. Probably have picked up close to a half inch in the last 15 minutes.

• Like 2

Just now, losetoa6 said:

It's coming down.  Similar to yesterday around 5pm. Probably 1/4" or so

It's hammering here right this second. Probably one of the better snow squalls i have seen in a long time. Some gusts of wind thrown in as well. Wouldn't be surprised if I can pick up a quick inch or two when I look at the radar.

31 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

When I lived in Lake Ridge these events would drive me insane. The final straw was a driving rainstorm in Woodbridge when Leesburg reported 7" of snow...that's when I made my decision to move here in 04. My short stint in Nokesville was very similar. That said today's climate is making Leesburg pretty close to marginal now...I can see in a couple years the rain/snow lines moving further NW

I will move in a few years.  the only thing keeping me where i am now is job and kids.  But in a year and a half the job thing disappears(as in my current one) and kids will be close to HS age.  Def need to get away from this UHI shithole.  

• Like 1