Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tuesday 1/7/20 Disco snow event

MountainGeek

13 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Interesting.  My 4" came in almost exactly 4 hours, so I'd say rates were consistently good for the duration.

Another localized phenomenon here is the effect that S Mtn has a rain shadow.  Its not all of the time but the right SEish wind does dry things out just a bit.  I often tell my wife if we hit the lottery we are tearing that mountain down....lol.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, colonelaureliano1 said:

Ive been googling with no luck, I know there was a really bad snow commute in 2016 but I felt like there was an even worse one in the late 2000s? 

I think the really bad commute was January 2011, when about 5 inches of snow fell from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., on a day when I don't think there was an OPM early dismissal

3 minutes ago, colonelaureliano1 said:

Ive been googling with no luck, I know there was a really bad snow commute in 2016 but I felt like there was an even worse one in the late 2000s? 

1/26/11 and 1/20/16

1/26/11 was an event that busted cold and juiced at the last minute.  It was one of the biggest winter power outage events from Richmond to Philadelphia and forever changed how the Federal government looked at telework.  Since then OPM and many other public and private agencies have invested heavily in reoutfitting their staff for telework.  

1/20/16 was about a half inch of powder falling right at sunset that flash froze.  This was the same day the last Blizzard Watch was ever issued by LWX WFO for the 2016 "blizzard" and DOT crews were home resting and planning for the weekend.  It reaffirmed for many the reason why early, staggered release was needed because a lot of jurisdictions wanted their staff in all day in anticipation of losing the coming Friday and parts of the next work week.