Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tuesday 1/7/20 Disco snow event

MountainGeek

14 minutes ago, mappy said:

not at all accurate up here. it has never rained

13 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

I actually noticed that as soon as I typed that response. Weird that is was off up there. It's doing a great job south of I-70 at least. It's shaking off the rust :lol:. Enjoy the snow!

13 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Wasn't too good up in my neck of the woods as I started as snow and stayed as snow and yet it was showing rain past Gettysburg this whole time until just a few minutes ago. Pretty large margin of error.

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, could be proximity to the beam changes accuracy? Anyways, 100% snow and seeing some decent dendrites. Winds just turned out of the north. The mix line seems to be following the wind shift line. Makes sense. 

I’ve noticed that it sometimes struggles with lighter precip at the start of an event and in those cases will default to surface temps. I don’t know if it takes a bit to calculate or if light precip is an issue for its algorithm but it does much better with heavier precip once an event gets going.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

And I’ll still say that the concern over sun and lack of clouds this morning did translate to why some areas can’t flip. Going from 28 to 45 mattered with this storm. It did for me. 

Gracias. I have noticed that those quick to dismiss that don't tend to live inside the beltways. I've watched enough of these borderline temp situations backfire or be really slow to get to snow in Balt City (especially in the last few years) that every degree north of 32 is really hard to get back at gametime...

Seeing attempts at a changeover to snow whenever the intensity increases a bit. You start to see some big, wet flakes mix in. As much as the lack of changeover is an issue, honestly the bigger issue is the rates just aren't there and the back edge is approaching. Even if it was all snow right now, it wouldn't amount to anything.

Just now, psuhoffman said:

I’ve noticed that it sometimes struggles with lighter precip at the start of an event and in those cases will default to surface temps. I don’t know if it takes a bit to calculate or if light precip is an issue for its algorithm but it does much better with heavier precip once an event gets going.  

That certainly makes sense. That's likely the issue. I still like that radar a lot. Just have to be wary early on in these types of setups. Enjoy the snow up there!

14 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Haven't seen any rain in Columbia either since I got home almost 1 hour ago.

Steady light snow now.  Deck getting a little slushy, but everything else still wet.  

Seems to be picking up on the intensity. Liking it more and more. See you on the sledding hill. B)