Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tuesday 1/7/20 Disco snow event

MountainGeek

22 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

I am not really sure I understand why areas further east get hosed on this since it seems the precip would arrive later tonight when its cold.

But I don't really care. This is a non event for everyone except the western mountains.

The air mass is not a cold one. Its cold this morning because it was perfect radiational cooling conditions overnight.

If the track were perfect, as guidance was suggesting over the past day or 2, then it might work out for eastern areas. Trends across guidance is a closer to the coast track, and with no real source of cold air, it comes down to dynamics. Best dynamics now appear to be coincident with the areas that tend to do well in marginal setups- inland.elevated, and less low level warming with the coastal. If this were not such a fast mover, then even with the further north/west track there might be some decent snow for eastern areas as the lower levels cool on the backside. That is not the case, however. Also a HP to the N or NW would change the outcome, but that also is not the case.

Now, continue whinging.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, arlwx said:

WTOP just announced Fauquier County VA schools will have early dismissal.  Secondary schools dismiss at 11:30 a.m.; Elementary schools and Marshal MS dismiss at 12:30 p.m.

Loudoun, Rappahannock, Frederick and Madison are closed all day. 

Frederick Co MD on time. But I suspect seeing an early dismissal announced. If the schools get to noon it is considered a full day. And going off the event we had like this last year, and their wait to release 2 hrs. early and buses running in snow with one off the mountain roads. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RevWarReenactor said:

I am not really sure I understand why areas further east get hosed on this since it seems the precip would arrive later tonight when its cold.

But I don't really care. This is a non event for everyone except the western mountains.

Later tonight????   This event is over by 8pm at the latest.  

• Like 1