Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Tuesday 1/7/20 Disco snow event

MountainGeek

4 minutes ago, wawarriors4 said:

I'd love to believe the snow maps (they show a nice even around FXBG) but the fact that most models have temperatures spike up to around 38-45 tomorrow before precip gets to I-95 gives me a lot of pause, even with lower dewpoints to start we only get down to about 32-33 along 95. Feels like an event that starts as rain or a rain/snow mix and transitions to snow just before precip shuts off leaving like maybe a slushy half inch on grassy areas. Would love to be wrong and I'm definitely hoping for precip to start as early as possible.

I agree strongly. I think the only places that have a shot at 1" and/or slushy roads are out near frederick/Hagerstown down to Winchester, Front Royal and further SW

6 minutes ago, wawarriors4 said:

I'd love to believe the snow maps (they show a nice even around FXBG) but the fact that most models have temperatures spike up to around 38-45 tomorrow before precip gets to I-95 gives me a lot of pause, even with lower dewpoints to start we only get down to about 32-33 along 95. Feels like an event that starts as rain or a rain/snow mix and transitions to snow just before precip shuts off leaving like maybe a slushy half inch on grassy areas. Would love to be wrong and I'm definitely hoping for precip to start as early as possible.

the cold air is fairly deep so although surface temps are not great the dews and 850s are solid to this untrained eye.  it should be solid snow tv and reaffirm why we love this hobby.  we will be pinging you for obs as you should be part of the first wave.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

the cold air is fairly deep so although surface temps are not great the dews and 850s are solid to this untrained eye.  it should be solid snow tv and reaffirm why we love this hobby.  we will be pinging you for obs as you should be part of the first wave.

Yeah you would need to look at temp profiles from the surface on up. If that warm layer is shallow and near the ground, and with dewpoints low as Wes said, then those temps can fall like a rock. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Yeah you would need to look at temp profiles from the surface on up. If that warm layer is shallow and near the ground, and with dewpoints low as Wes said, then those temps can fall like a rock. 

Agreed, just would rather not waste precip getting temps to cooperate here along 95, but where we are headed, any snow is great. This has a feel of a rush hour WWA for the 95 corridor though too, out your way should be a decen 1-3 type WWA event.

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

12Z RGEM is pretty tasty. 2 inches + throughout the entire DC metro. 

The temperatures are "interesting." Has Culpeper at 16 degrees at 7AM tomorrow morning and 36 by noon falling back to 33 when precip moves in. I-81 corridor mostly below freezing when precip moves in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ji said:

2001-02 had one winter storm(i think it was 3 inches) in early January and we never saw cold or snow again  that winter. I had to drive to freaking Elmira, NY in march to see some snow(got 10 inches lol)

Is that right

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

These are the RGEM temps at the onset of precip. Those of us in the Shenendoah Valley are looking really good for this one IMO. Most of the models are starting to juice up a little bit as we get closer as well. Someone is gonna grab 3+ inches in the 81 corridor:

sfct.us_ma.png

The RGEM for us was a touch drier than the 6z run. First model to do that.

• Like 1

Still a half decent sounding at onset of the heavier QPF along and west of I95. Consistent with the potential for rippage even if brief. 

L10rg5F.png

ETA: here's the sim radar panel that coincides with the sounding. Legit rippage going on in places (like the most important place...my yard) 

gfs_ref_frzn_neus_5.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Still a half decent sounding at onset of the heavier QPF along and west of I95. Consistent with the potential for rippage even if brief. 

L10rg5F.png

ETA: here's the sim radar panel that coincides with the sounding. Legit rippage going on in places (like the most important place...my yard) 

gfs_ref_frzn_neus_5.png

I'll be driving to Reston for my doctors appointment at this time. Looks like fun perhaps