Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tuesday 1/7/20 Disco snow event

MountainGeek

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I am still considering it. My hesitation is the high bust potential no matter where the "jackpot" is, as it is a marginal event in coverage, qpf, and temps.

3km suggests I should head towards Rehoboth lol.

You’re really gonna chase for this piece of crap? It’s not even worth the time. There will be something better to chase than this eventually 

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

You’re really gonna chase for this piece of crap? It’s not even worth the time. There will be something better to chase than this eventually 

I have time off work, and I do mini road trips all over this time of year. Given the absolute shiit pattern coming up, yeah I could definitely work it in to my plans.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I have time off work, and I do mini road trips all over this time of year. Given the absolute shiit pattern coming up, yeah I could definitely work it in to my plans.

Driving around for simple fun and sightseeing of any kind is really fun and relaxing. Doing it with a Hemi makes it even better

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Driving around for simple fun and sightseeing of any kind is really fun and relaxing. Doing it with a Hemi makes it even better

Yup. Unfortunately I gave up my SRT. But driving a leased Overland with all the creature comforts and a powerful(relatively speaking) V6 ain't too bad either.

17 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Gefs is close to the nams qpf placement fwiw

PhotoPictureResizer_200105_095922987_crop_1347x2134.jpg

I noticed that last night and they were a red flag when they never were enthusiastic for that anafront wave threat back in December and were right.  Remember last winter the FV3 was too amped up almost every time. And the euro is often too amped also (it’s still the best we got but if it’s in error that is usually how). Just a caution flag. But there are a lot of discreet issues to be resolved in a fast flow so more model flip flops might be ahead. 

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

1578441600-wI4kINLAvjY.png

Slight decrease in totals. Might need to travel down to Charlottesville. 

Have to wonder if in part the CHO totals are related to earlier start time or the transfer of moisture to the coast.  Still rather that look with snow coming in from the SW. 

The difference between the NAM and globals is all contingent on the timing of the low transfer to the coast. With an earlier transfer off NC coast, the southeast low level flow is much stronger over the eastern areas and the H7 VV's are much more favorable for banding potential on the NW side of the low. For both the GFS/Euro, the best lift concentrated to the west with the parent low and H5 vort pass providing better difluence across WV and western VA. Extension further back to DC area due to the surface low is going to be harder to come by unless we get that surface low tucked in closer to the coast. So rooting for baroclinic setup to be a little closer to shore would be best case, along with the NAM earlier transfer. The mid-level dry air advection at Hr 60, onward will also dissolve the western extent of the precip field as the trough pivots through the region. It's a tight window and the best chances for snow right now would be out toward central and southern WV, SW VA, and the Delmarva due to the better precip enhancement from the secondary low center moving to the northeast. Hopefully the NAM is on to something with the earlier transfer.  

Edit: I should add that the rooting for the earlier transfer is more for the city gang and further east. Those west of the fall line out to I-81 will probably want what the Euro is showing with the solid vort pass and difluent area as the trough pivots eastward. This is a setup that is tricky to get everyone involved. Someone will likely be left out. 

• Thanks 1