• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Personal Favorite (or Most "Extreme") Weather Event of 2019

George BM

Another year is over and I'm Curious George. 

What weather event stood out for you personally in the past year?

For me it is a little bit harder this year... but I'll go with a thunderstorm that hit my house on August 20th. There was torrential rain, 40+ mph wind gusts and nickel to perhaps quarter sized hail. The storm lasted a relatively long time for me (~20 minutes). A few leaves were down from the hail and a tree fell on a light-pole snapping it in half about half a mile down the street from my house.

Yeah not very exciting IMBY this year... The January snowstorm was also okay though...

As was the late February wind event.

No event really stands out to me in MBY this year.  A few snowstorms, a few good thunder busters, some cold....some heat.  What I really noted was what didnt happen this year compared to many recent years.  This Spring, Summer and Fall were great for outdoor recreation.  Being an avid hiker, camper and especially loving kayak fishing, this spring was the first in many years that the rivers and tributaries were in good fishing shape by mid April.  The past few years I havent been on the water before Memorial Day due to the rivers still being trashed by heavy rains.  Even the Susquehanna was in great shape by early summer....getting that river to calm down and clear up is a sloooooow process.

I made Jamaica my back yard for 6 days. I was surprised that I had a period of absolutely no rain the first week of November. Typically in those tropical climates you at least see a couple downpours thru the course of a week but nope. Unfortunately nothing here back home really stood out for me that I can remember.

My favorite event is the January 12-13 snowstorm. I would have been perfectly contented with the 1-3” or so that was forecasted a couple days prior, but the double digit snowfall that came about was something to behold. Spent my 18th birthday taking a glorious jebwalk as rates picked up in the final hours of the storm. Made for some gorgeous scenery the following day. A top 3 snowstorm for sure. 

Outside of winter though, nothing particularly remarkable as others pointed out. There were some thunderstorms that gave me a jumpscare or two, but other than that it was somewhat tranquil compared to previous years. 

On 1/2/2020 at 10:52 AM, NorthArlington101 said:

July 2019 rainstorm is the event of the year for me. 

3" of rain in an hour is a crazy thing to witness. I've never seen that much water, and places here flooded that I never thought could.

3 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

This is it.  That was an amazing wall of water.

Lots of talk about the rainfall rates from this event... where a watched the rain-curtain miss me to my east by about a mile or so. 

How did the rainfall rates compare with the rates you see during normal summer thunderstorms? What was the visibility like during the heaviest part of the storm?

Lots of talk about the rainfall rates from this event... where a watched the rain-curtsin miss me to my east by about a mile or so.  How did the rainfall rates compare with the rates you see during normal summer thunderstorms? What was the visibility like during the heaviest part of the storm?

It absolutely dwarfed a normal summer thunderstorm but I’d be willing to wager it’s rained harder before, but this was a totally different length of time. There were times when it was near-blinding (slightly distorted perspective because I was driving) but even then I could see.

What really struck me was the fact that the downpour continued for an hour. It was like heaviest summer thunderstorm of the year going on for a whole hour. Places I’ve never seen flood flooded in 10 minutes.

It also really did come in like a wall. Nothing to pouring in about 30 seconds, then whatever the step is beyond pouring in about another 30.

https://www.arlnow.com/2019/07/08/flash-flood-warning-issued-for-arlington-3/

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, George BM said:

Lots of talk about the rainfall rates from this event... where a watched the rain-curtain miss me to my east by about a mile or so. 

How did the rainfall rates compare with the rates you see during normal summer thunderstorms? What was the visibility like during the heaviest part of the storm?

8 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

It absolutely dwarfed a normal summer thunderstorm but I’d be willing to wager it’s rained harder before, but this was a totally different length of time. There were times when it was near-blinding (slightly distorted perspective because I was driving) but even then I could see.

What really struck me was the fact that the downpour continued for an hour. It was like heaviest summer thunderstorm of the year going on for a whole hour. Places I’ve never seen flood flooded in 10 minutes.

It also really did come in like a wall. Nothing to pouring in about 30 seconds, then whatever the step is beyond pouring in about another 30.

https://www.arlnow.com/2019/07/08/flash-flood-warning-issued-for-arlington-3/

NorthArlington is right.  The peak rates were tremendous, but not unprecedented.  I hit around 10”/hr on my VP2, but I’ve seen that number before.  The difference was the length of the high rates.  Visibility was poor, like a good snowfall, but not a complete white-out blizzard.

The other interesting part was that this was effectively one big cell.  The other times that we get dumped on (eg. Lee in 2011 or Ellicott City) it is due to a training/redeveloping situation.  This was just a monster rain-producing cell that moved through.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2020 at 8:30 AM, MN Transplant said:

NorthArlington is right.  The peak rates were tremendous, but not unprecedented.  I hit around 10”/hr on my VP2, but I’ve seen that number before.  The difference was the length of the high rates.  Visibility was poor, like a good snowfall, but not a complete white-out blizzard.

The other interesting part was that this was effectively one big cell.  The other times that we get dumped on (eg. Lee in 2011 or Ellicott City) it is due to a training/redeveloping situation.  This was just a monster rain-producing cell that moved through.

Time of the day was also pretty unique and exacerbated the impact.  
I remember going to bed noticing the cell and flood warnings near Cumberland.  By morning rush, it had intensified and hit the urban cores, but kept moving.